GG7's Indoor/Outdoor Grows!

Ummmm... the crosses were made with pollen, and seed somehow... And it is entirely possible to get seed from Ken's GDP with Colloidal Silver...

Not sure why it took him so long to come up with a seed version, but he did. Starting to wonder if perhaps there is some kind of problem involved with using CS to create pollen from this particular strain? Might be difficult to get positive results? GDP has been around for a very long time, as has the idea of using CS, but Ken just started selling a seed version of GDP in the last 18 months or so.

Guess I will find out soon enough since I will be working with basically the same foundation as he was. ;)

GG7 If I Could Take Photos As Well As You, I Would Enter The POTM And The NOTM Contests, But Without The Proper Camera And Good Lighting, I Feel All My Pictures Look Like HELL, Especially Compared To YOURS!!!:high-five: I Used The Camera I Have Now, In The Win I Have, But I Feel Those Were Taken On A Day When The Lighting Outside Was Just Perfect, And That Unfortunately Does Not Happen Every Day(SEE MY PICTURES, LOL!!!):cheesygrinsmiley: Good Luck On Your Entrants, I Have To Check And See What Else Is Offered, But I Cannot Imagine That I Will Not Be Voting Your Way!!! And Back A Day Or Two, I Use No Sealing Packs With The Herb I Cure, Just A Room That Is Temperature Controlled So I Do Not Need The Packs. Sorry Just Had To Say That, I Know It Was A Few Days Ago, But...

Anyways All, Harvest Is Almost Over, 1 Plant Left To Go:woohoo:!!! Tomorrow It ENDS, TILL NEXT YEAR!!! I Am Actually Thinking HARD About NOT GROWING NEXT YEAR. Our Life Has Been Devoted Either To My Former Career And This, It Is Time For Some REAL TIME OFF!!! Like Beaches And Historical Landmarks I Have Wanted To See MY WHOLE LIFE!!! But With My Wife Ill, It Is Hard To Travel, PERIOD. I Just NEED A BREAK Is All, A Long One, With No Responsibilities,Problems You Know, UTOPIA!!! Any Ways All, I Am Out!!! SINCERELY, JAMESTHEGREEN.:thumb:

Thanks James! I would most definitely appreciate your support and your vote! Thanks to you and everyone else who has voted or is planning to vote for one or both of my entries this month! :thanks: :)

I was worried when I decided to enter this time that I wouldn't have a chance since my journal does not have the large following it was enjoying the last time I entered and won the POTM contest. I know that some of the voting in these contests lean more towards the popularity of the grower than how his or her entry stacks up against the competition. A popularity contest if you will.

However... Last time I checked, my GDP #2 plant in the POTM was leading in the polls! Glad that I entered that plant at the last minute, after DP told me that you can enter multiple contest in the same month. After browsing all the entries for the POTM, I thought that my GDP #2 could have a decent shot at taking 1st place IF folks based their voting decision on the virtues of the actual plant entered and not on who is growing it. :yahoo:

Unfortunately, I am not seeing the same kind of love for my Harlequin nugget in the NOTM contest. I've got tons of dried colas I could have entered, many much larger than any of the dried colas currently winning, but my Harlequin nugget was far more impressive than your average dried cola.

For one... it was a single BUD, not a bunch of buds clumped together like those cola entries. ????

Oh well.... Like I said... Hard to say what people use for their judging criteria and how much the popularity of the person growing it ultimately figures into things, but speaking as someone with hundreds of buds and dried colas from many different strains, that Harlequin nugget was/is exceptional, and should be winning by a huge margin if the contest is truly based on the best NUGGET entered.

Not to take anything away from the other entries which are all very nice indeed!

;)

Wow... That's all I can say about this year for you... just... "WOW!"

Those Blueberry Cheese got that nice "frosty blue" color to them too. And the GDP! Damn, I wish I could grow outside.

Thanks Jandre!

Both the BC and the GDP do exceptionally well up here at our elevation and with our climate. I don't think it is simply a matter of growing it outside. Just like wine grapes, the location of where the plant is grown has a huge impact on the final results. As I mentioned in the past... Our overall climate up here is about as perfect as you can get for growing the Nor Cal based strains I have chosen as my primary strains. And fortunately, with M.O.N. being a Nor Cal based seed company, they have worked up a lot of great strains that were also based on some of the best Nor Cal wild strains, so no wonder they do so well up here where I am. :)

Yeah that Blueberry cheese is my favorite out of the nugs. Looks fantastic and Im sure it smells even better.

I've got some relatives visiting right now, and they are totally amazed by the wonderful fruity smell of my M.O.N. Blue Cheese. It has a very strong and pleasant aroma very similar to a ripe melon. You know that sweet pleasant smell you get when you walk past the Honeydew or other melons in the produce section of the grocery store? That is the closest comparison I can make to what my BC smells like.

I have not been around someone else smoking my buds, but this week I have been able to get a second hand smoke whiff of what my BC smells like when smoked in a bong. Closest comparison for that smell is that of a Blueberry flavored POP TART seconds before it pops out of the toaster! :)

The GDP also has a very unique aroma, but it is a more savory smell. Just as unique, but not as sweet and inviting as the Blue Cheese. When you come right down to it, I don't think I have ever come across another strain that had as pleasant a smell as Blue Cheese.

I figure that the Big Budah Cheese side of the cross amplifies the pleasant aroma of the Blueberry side of the cross, and you end up with a super strong smelling Blueberry bud! ;)

Not sure why it took him so long to come up with a seed version, but he did. Starting to wonder if perhaps there is some kind of problem involved with using CS to create pollen from this particular strain? Might be difficult to get positive results? GDP has been around for a very long time, as has the idea of using CS, but Ken just started selling a seed version of GDP in the last 18 months or so.

Guess I will find out soon enough since I will be working with basically the same foundation as he was. ;)

Demand finally got high enough for seeds?

Thanks Jandre!

Both the BC and the GDP do exceptionally well up here at our elevation and with our climate. I don't think it is simply a matter of growing it outside. Just like wine grapes, the location of where the plant is grown has a huge impact on the final results. As I mentioned in the past... Our overall climate up here is about as perfect as you can get for growing the Nor Cal based strains I have chosen as my primary strains. And fortunately, with M.O.N. being a Nor Cal based seed company, they have worked up a lot of great strains that were also based on some of the best Nor Cal wild strains, so no wonder they do so well up here where I am. :)

I've got some relatives visiting right now, and they are totally amazed by the wonderful fruity smell of my M.O.N. Blue Cheese. It has a very strong and pleasant aroma very similar to a ripe melon. You know that sweet pleasant smell you get when you walk past the Honeydew or other melons in the produce section of the grocery store? That is the closest comparison I can make to what my BC smells like.

I have not been around someone else smoking my buds, but this week I have been able to get a second hand smoke whiff of what my BC smells like when smoked in a bong. Closest comparison for that smell is that of a Blueberry flavored POP TART seconds before it pops out of the toaster! :)

The GDP also has a very unique aroma, but it is a more savory smell. Just as unique, but not as sweet and inviting as the Blue Cheese. When you come right down to it, I don't think I have ever come across another strain that had as pleasant a smell as Blue Cheese.

I figure that the Big Budah Cheese side of the cross amplifies the pleasant aroma of the Blueberry side of the cross, and you end up with a super strong smelling Blueberry bud! ;)

Even Better, they're based in the Bay Area where it stays cooler a lot longer. :cheesygrinsmiley: Perfect for creating a cold-tolerant strain, or, forty.

Even Better, they're based in the Bay Area where it stays cooler a lot longer. :cheesygrinsmiley: Perfect for creating a cold-tolerant strain, or, forty.

No doubt!

That is a very important consideration too since during a normal year, we are dropping down into the low 30s before harvests in early October are completed. This year was the exception to that rule and one of the primary reasons why I had so much more trouble getting the GDP to complete its color change in sync with the trichome development. Normally, these two things run neck and neck with each other and the plants are usually finished with their color change ahead of the amber trichome ratio being right for harvesting the colas.

This year, the trichomes were ready but the color change wasn't finished. I'm glad that I gave GDP #2 those extra couple of days before I chopped it. It was definitely the most purple of any of the other GDP plants, but I am not sure if the actual effects will be better or worse for it. As you know, the purple pigment has nothing to do with the strength of the medicinal effect and is purely a cosmetic thing. Still... If I wanted to sell any of this to the local shops and want my top dollar for it, it needs to be purple since that is what folks expect!

Can't blame them for that, since a lot of folks have never tried the real GDP before, so they don't realize that in addition to the physical appearance of the buds and their color, the actual smell of the buds is a more precise way to identify the genuine article.

Growers of GDP wannabe strains may be able to duplicate the "look" of the real GDP, but there is no way you can fake the smell. That is unique to Ken's original creation and once you know what that smell is, you can never be fooled by FAUX GDP again! ;)

One last photo update related to my next project!
Colloidal Silver Seed Project Preparations

I was going to hold off posting these photos here and save them as the opening photo update for my new journal, which I still plan to do, but it will be a few weeks before I start that one, so I thought I would go ahead and share these starting photos here while this journal is still listed as active.

Here are the three plants I will be working with...

(From Left to Right we have GDP #1, GDP #2 and Blue Cheese #2)

P1010324.JPG

Here is a closeup of Blue Cheese #2
Notice that lower branch that has turned into a very thick stalk? While this plant was producing bud, all of the flower producing branches came from this single branch! Almost like a plant within a plant! The rest of the plant remained in that 50/50 state after I accidentally put all my clones out too early before the light levels were sufficient for veg. A cautionary tale for those who plan to grow outside after starting a new crop indoors at the end of winter!

P1010323.JPG

Hopefully I don't have any problem with this plant producing veg growth from this same branch, or from other portions of the plant. Blue Cheese is always a bitch to clone, so I am always a little worried about what a harvested plant is going to do when I try to revive it or clone it out.

I had to go with BC #2 because #1 was in a 5 gallon Air Pot and would not fit in the tub with the other two plants!

We shall soon see!

P10103221.JPG

Be on the lookout for my new CS Seed Project Journal that I plan to create just as soon as these plants begin to produce new growth. I will post an announcement and link to that new journal here when the time comes.

:thanks:

ill be ordering mine from herbies in the next few days, they got packs of 10,20 and 50, i messaged herbie and asked him if it was the ken estes strain and herbie told me he would not be selling it if he wasnt and the supplier is ken estes himself, so i think these seeds are the real deal, ill be giving them a try at some point, sounds like an amazing strain and looks even better, cant wait to sample some of the buds, i just hope its going to be the same as is in this journal,

ill be ordering mine from herbies in the next few days, they got packs of 10,20 and 50, i messaged herbie and asked him if it was the ken estes strain and herbie told me he would not be selling it if he wasnt and the supplier is ken estes himself, so i think these seeds are the real deal, ill be giving them a try at some point, sounds like an amazing strain and looks even better, cant wait to sample some of the buds, i just hope its going to be the same as is in this journal,

Congrats on that DP!

As I said previously... Be thankful that there is now a guaranteed legitimate source for the real GDP! I found the level of counterfeit GDP being sold out there disturbing, so I can only imagine how frustrating this must have been for Ken!

He deserves to benefit from his creation and I am more than pleased that he has managed to counter the problem with a seed based solution.

Hopefully you are able to give your GDP the cold nights it will need to turn purple during the last few weeks of flower. For my grows up here, that transformation begins around the second to third week of September as long as we are seeing "normal" overnight lows.

This year it happened a lot later as you saw, but in the end I got at least one of my four plants close to the right color. Hopefully the medicinal effects were not negatively effected by letting the plant go out to nearly 10 weeks!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Demand finally got high enough for seeds?

I don't think it was that. Seeds are obviously a heck of a lot easier to sell online than living plants! I still suspect that it took him this long to get a seed based version that equaled the original clone-only version. Ken is a perfectionist as most great breeders are, so I am confident that my theory is a correct one. A very good thing for growers like DP!

That is what worries me heading into my own attempt! On the up side, if the attempt fails, at least I will still have these GDP mothers to turn to for additional cuttings, although if it comes down to that it will blow my 2013 vacation plans out of the water!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

i can imagine, with a strain like that their would be loads of fakes, but i think as word got out about his clone only strain i think ken must of realised how much people wanted a seed form, a clone only is tough as it would leave a lot of growers without, so the seeds is the next best option for the mass market, i think a lot of the fakes would of been from his clone crossed with something else, then they might of passed this off as the real product, but i think for ken to put his name and lable to this product then clearly it must be up to his very high standards, so i cant wait to give it a try, plus we are in winter here now so its cold at night, we have had a few frosts now, so it will be like this well into march so i got plenty of time to give them a try and get these cool night time temps,

im thinking it would need the cold nights for around 3 weeks at the end of flower, so if i take a rough guess from the expected harvest period on the breeder pack, then i should be pretty close to getting the last 3 weeks in, ive ordered that purple widdow as well and this will be here tomorrow, it says it has the distinct purple smell and taste plus it says its not a weak strain so should be ok to grow, plus it will give me something to play around with, i should be able to get some purple between the 2, the purple widow apparently dont need the cool nights as it says it can be grown indoors and will produce purple buds towards the end of flowering, so thats my aim for the next few months anyways,

mate thanks for this great journal, it opened my eyes up to some amazing strains and you have really shown what these plants can produce, i cant wait to follow your future grows, its one of the best journals ive come across,
thanks for all the help and advice you gave me, i can be a pain at times but im just trying to take in as much as i can so i can then try it out with my own plants,

thanks mate,

You are most welcome! :)

Thanks again Don Paul! :Namaste:

The fact that you feel that way lets me know that I accomplished my goal when I started this journal! If the information and examples I have been able to provide has helped you to grow a better crop than my mission was accomplished! :)

Good luck again with your new strains and especially your new GDP! I will be real curious to see how you do with those and what kind of results you end up with at the end of the grow! Your plan sounds good to me, and a long as you can give them that three weeks of cold overnights between 35 and 55 degrees, you should see roughly the same color change that I see here.

Remember... The colder the temps the darker purple the flowers will get. Just make sure that they are not exposed to anything below 32 degrees for any length of time. Just like any plant, even though the GDP strain is somewhat hardened against cold nights, they can still get frost bit and die if it gets too cold.

Thanks again for your kind words and I look forward to seeing you over on my new journal when I create it in the next few weeks. :thumb:

2012 Harvest Recap!
Quick-Links to all 2012 harvest photo posts!

We had posted this same list a few pages back but when the journal got moved to the completed journals section, the links got messed up and would no longer reliably take you to the correct post number. So, we decided to re-do the link list using the URLs from the journal's new location.

Not all harvests and processes were photographed, but each strain is represented by at least one harvest photo post.

Just click on a plant name or process and you will be taken to that post via a new browser window.

Harvests are sorted by strain and then linked in Chronological Order

Enjoy!
:cheer:

M.O.N. Harlequin GDB #1 - Final Trim - Weigh In
M.O.N. Harlequin GDB #2 - Final Trim - Weigh In

------------

M.O.N. Purple Diesel - Final Trim

------------

GDP #1 Phase 1 - Final Trim - GDP #1 Phase 2
GDP #5 - Final Trim - Weigh In
GDP #3 - Part 2
GDP #2 - Pre-Harvest - Harvest
GDP Seed Project Final

------------

Blue Cheese #1 & 2 - BC #2 Final Trim
Blue Cheese #3

------------

Misc. Medicinal Organic Nursery Clones

Grandpa Larry OG
Inferno
Grand Daddy Fire
M.O.N. OG-GD

Awesome harvests and awesome journal, Brother! :bravo:
I'm looking forward to the CS project!
FYI...For the curing jars (yeah...I'm a little late on this!), checkout Ace Hardware. They have them all sizes, they're cheap, and you can order them online and they'll ship them for free to your local store. :Namaste:

Awesome harvests and awesome journal, Brother! :bravo:
I'm looking forward to the CS project!
FYI...For the curing jars (yeah...I'm a little late on this!), checkout Ace Hardware. They have them all sizes, they're cheap, and you can order them online and they'll ship them for free to your local store. :Namaste:

Thanks Mr. K!

I couldn't be more pleased with the results this year! I guess that unusually hot weather we had provided at least this one advantage to things around here! ;) I've been keeping a close eye on all the various jars and monitoring their moisture levels. All but the last few jars of bud have dried out to the right amounts and I have added in 62% Humidipaks to all of the various storage jars.

I sampled some of the main harvest of Harlequin last night and WOW! Very nice effect indeed! I am planning to post a strain review on that in the next few weeks. Harlequin #1 has been in the jar for about 3 weeks now but it is still a wee bit harsh. Nothing like some of the other strains this early in the curing process, which indicates to me that it will probably be the smoothest smoking bud I have in my collection after it has fully cured. :)

I am also keeping a close eye on the three plants in the bathtub, and it appears that GDP #1 is starting to put out some new growth. These new leaves are coming out of some of the bud sites, so it is hard to tell for sure if this is veg growth or more flower growth. Will need them to get a little bigger before I will be able to tell for sure.

Hope to begin my new CS project journal the first or second week of November, so stay tuned! :)

Yo Goose.

Those Bovida paks you can have them literally touching a bud and its not gonna cause problems right?

I bought a few of the medium sized 69% ones. They are in the jars and obviously touch certain buds. Just wanted to double check thats ok and how you store them.

Yo Goose.

Those Bovida paks you can have them literally touching a bud and its not gonna cause problems right?

I bought a few of the medium sized 69% ones. They are in the jars and obviously touch certain buds. Just wanted to double check thats ok and how you store them.

Hey Jimmy!

Yep. No problem since it would be impossible to keep the packet from contacting some of the buds in the jar. Just make a point to shake your jars every couple of days to mix them up and redistribute the moister buds around, or dump the contents onto a tray and put them back in again which will shuffle up what contacts the packet. (s)

I also wanted to mention that AMAZON.COM sells the Boveda Humidipaks! I still like the 72% ones I have been using since last year since the 62% ones don't seem to put out enough moisture for the large quantity of bud I store in my 1/2 gallon jars. Anyway... I picked up two 12 packs of the medium sized 72% packs for $14.00 per dozen with free shipping!

Thats about $4.00 cheaper per dozen than I was paying from the dispensary before they stopped carrying the 72% and now only stock the 62% version. :thumb:

Nice I paid like 7 bucks for my 6 on ebay. They are roughly 2.5 maybe 3 inches across and square. 69% humidity.

Now that the buds have been in cure for 2 weeks they sure look different. Way more compact. A tad darker in color too.

The Chem D really does look just like some shit you see in high times. Its pretty sweet.

What isnt sweet is that I vegged them for like 2.5 or 3 months and only got 3.5 oz per plant lol.

Back
Top Bottom