GG7's Indoor/Outdoor Grows!

GDP #1 - Harvest Phase 1 - Final Trim Photo Update!

The GDP #1 colas were looking and feeling pretty dry this morning when I checked the drying closets, so I decided to go ahead and trim up the main colas and get them ready for the curing jar. The smaller buds on these same main branches were still a little damp, so I cut them off the stems and placed those separately on a drying tray and back into the closet.

Here are some BEFORE and AFTER shots showing a cola before the final trim and then after the final trim. I did the same with all the full branches from this first 3rd harvest of GDP #1.

The lot...

BEFORE

P10101703.JPG

AFTER

P10101722.JPG

A single bud before...

P1010162.JPG

AFTER

P10101691.JPG

More random photos of the trimming session...

P10101631.JPG
P10101682.JPG

P10101673.JPG
P10101732.JPG
P10101754.JPG

Far less purple in these bud cores than I like to see at such a late stage of flowering, but the trichomes definitely had the right cloudy/amber ratio. I don't regret chopping this plant when I did because it was very instructive in getting a better feel for how much longer the remaining GDP need to go before I get the deep purple hue in these bud cores. Based on this plant and my trichome checks on everything, I have started feeding everything my Molasses/Water solution again in the hope that the added sugar will help speed things up with both the color change and the trichome transition from cloudy to amber.

In terms of this specific harvest... I went ahead and put the more airy buds from the lower portions of these branches on a drying tray and back into the dryng closet to give them more time to dry out. Most of that stuff is too airy for a final trim job, and basically lack a solid core , so I am just going to chop it up like cigarrete tobacco and bag it for rolling like I usually do with all the trim remnants left after these final trims.

Later today I am going to trim up the remaining colas on GDP #1 and get the plant cleaned up and groomed for the move back indoors and into the tub to begin her reveg process.

I will take some photos, so stay tuned for that!
:cheer:

GDP #1 - Phase 2 - Complete Harvest and Groom for Move Indoors

I cherry picked a few more of the larger diameter colas and gave the bulk of this stuff to my neighbor who was delighted to get SO MUCH GDP!! Ironically, it was the smaller lower branch buds that had the most purple on them. In the first few photos of all the branches, you will be able to see the stark contrast between some colas and others in terms of their color.

P10101783.JPG
P10101793.JPG
P10101802.JPG

GDP 1 after the bulk of the flower branches had been removed.

P10101812.JPG

The inner core of this plant was still jam packed with all that old 50/50 growth from when these were struggling to reveg this last spring, so I had to go in and cut all that out and remove all the dead leaves that were being held against the main stalk by that twisted, tumble weed like growth.

Here she is after all that was removed...

P10101844.JPG

And finally, after her move into the bathtub grow space!

P10101851.JPG
P10101862.JPG

I've got the light timer set to an 18/6 schedule which should help get her into reveg mode sooner. I also fed her 2 gallons of Fox Farm Grow Big along with a gallon of B1 transplant solution just in case the plant got stressed from all the sudden removal of all of her main branch tops.

Now we just need to wait and see if she responds to the light change and starts putting out new veg style growth.

Stay tuned for the next set of harvest photos coming up in the next couple of days.

Cheers! :)

Hey, just a note here... I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, just making a suggestion. I have found that when revegging, 2 weeks of 24/0 then going to 18/6 or GLR really helps really push her back into veg. Along with more N and a reduction in K, I think that with how you had said that she was reluctant to reveg, this could help things along.

Hey, just a note here... I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, just making a suggestion. I have found that when revegging, 2 weeks of 24/0 then going to 18/6 or GLR really helps really push her back into veg. Along with more N and a reduction in K, I think that with how you had said that she was reluctant to reveg, this could help things along.

Thanks!

I think I will go ahead and give this one a 24 hour light cycle for awhile. Not sure about 2 weeks because at this point in the calendar year, we stop running our central AC as much during the day because our temps start falling pretty fast in the fall, but the small guest bathroom where this plant is now being kept can get pretty hot with those lights on all the time. Without the AC on, that room can hit the mid 80s and beyond in no time.

I think I will let the lights stay on for the next 5 days before I put the timer on AUTO and let it start running the 18/6. ;)

The problem with the GDP and the Blue Cheese this spring was that I set them outside too early, and they started to go into flower, but then the light levels changed towards longer days and the plants got stuck in between flower and veg. It took an extra 3 weeks to get them out of that nether state between the two cycles and back into a solid veg state. The odd looking growth you see on GDP 1 now once all the newer growth has been removed is still the remnants from that 50/50 state these were in when they were much smaller.

GDP Harvest Time Comparison 2011/2012

With all the delay in getting the GDP to make their full color change on schedule this year, I decided to go back through this journal and have a look over last year's GDP harvests. I also noted my info on weather conditions and was comparing them to the same dates this year. Pretty big difference, both in the highs and lows as well as humidity, rainfall etc.

September 30th, 2011

Trichome Photos 10/01/11

Check out these 2011 harvest day photos and note the dates...

GDP #1

GDP #3

GDP #3 Part II

Not only were we getting winter storms moving through the Sierra this time last year, we were actually seeing overnight lows in the low 30s! Our coldest morning so far this season has been 43 degrees F! No wonder the plants are being much slower with their color changing this year compared to that 2011 crop!

At this point, I think I am going to have to focus on the trichome ratios and give up on trying to get this crop to turn as dark purple as last year. The weather just isn't there for getting that big of an effect. Going to check the trichomes again at sun up and see where we are at with GDP #3 and #5. I am going to give GDP #2 a few extra days longer than the other two, but if I let them go much longer I will start to run the risk of bud rot setting in, simply because the plants will start to decompose even though they are still in the ground so to speak.

Kind of sucks that I won't be getting the same dark purples from last season, but the color has no effect on potency, taste etc. Just can't risk letting them go over their optimum harvest dates, which based on last year's crop is this week. So as it turns out, it looks like the Blue Cheese plants are going to be the last ones I bring in this season, just like last year.

Tonight when I checked their trichomes, they were indeed starting to show some solid amber patches mixed in with the overall fields of cloudy sections.

I knew that heat wave was going to be a problem, but I didn't realize just how much of a problem!

GDP #5 Harvest Photos - Time's Up Folks!

As I mentioned in my last post, time is quickly running out for harvesting the rest of my crop, so I have been forced to make some hard decisions this morning. The trichomes on most of the GDP has arrived at, or is getting close to the proper cloudy/amber ratio, yet the plants have not fully completed their color change. I don't see the weather getting much colder than it has been these last few days, so I have decided that it would better to start harvesting the GDP now, rather than wait for more purple and risk going over the top in terms of trichomes, which as we all know is far more important than physical appearance!

So, without further ado...

GDP #5

P10101871.JPG
P10101881.JPG
P10101892.JPG
P10101912.JPG
P10101922.JPG
P10101933.JPG
P10101942.JPG
P10101962.JPG
P10101971.JPG
P10101982.JPG
P10101991.JPG

And after all that...Look how much remains on the plant!

P10102001.JPG

Most of what you see here is the small, light stuff you normally find on the lower branches and close to the main stalk. While this stuff still has nearly the same potency as the large dense upper colas, it is hard to trim down and is basically a pain. Not what I would consider "retail quality" bud. I might take a few more of these smaller buds later today if I can find any with some density to them, or give my giddy neighbor a call and make his day for 2 days in a row! LOL!

Waiting for closet space to open up before I chop GDP #3. #2 is going to be last because she is showing the most changes in regards to color, so another day or two might make a difference with her.

Stay tuned! :)

P.S. Why no GDP #4? GDP #4 bit the dust during veg after getting knocked over and partially torn up by a Racoon. It was too far gone to save, so I chopped it up and threw it on the compost heap. Fortunately, it was the only casualty of the season. ;)

:yummy: No matter what the colors, those look really delicious my friend! Good luck on the re-veg, and great growing as always! Nice pics too. Hope you are well GG7. :bravo:

damn mate, thats some amazing looking bud, ill reps you if it lets me, but i know your just running the purple colour in now, im sure ill have a purple strain soon enough, we are in winter here now and it gets damn cold at night, so i can have these temps drops throughout the whole of the grow,
would you say its best to have the temp drop just for the flower stage, or even just the last weeks of the flower stage, i think i have also been having problems with nutes, ive been reading about this, and it seems that we are giving the plants to much nutes, when the plants shows us its stressed then this usually means its been stressed for a while, i have read that this also slows growth, so im going to let one of my plants go with no nutes until i see that it needs some, this way i can compare it to the other plants and see if it really does make a difference,
also i dont think i have been flushing properly towards the end of flower, i use bpn and my plants look healthy right up till harvest day, i dont get any yellow leaves or dying leaves, my plants look perfect even when i harvest so i think i need to stop giving nutes with every feed and go for every other feed, plus i need to flush properly so the plant goes through its normal life cycle, i think my soil has been to hot and this is why im not getting yellowing of leaves etc etc.

so with the cool night time temps, would you say its best just to do this during the flower stage, ill keep the lights on temp the same but i can easily give cooler night time temps now where i am, so if i do this during flower this should bring out the colour in the purple strains, im not trying to get the plants im growing now to change colour so its a future project, so im thinking does it need to be for the whole of the flower period or say the last 3 weeks, from what i can tell the plants seem to look perfect and its in the last weeks that the colour change takes place, so i think 3 weeks ish would be a good time to give them the cold night time temps,

sorry to keep hounding you with questions mate but you have got some of the most amazing looking buds so your the best to ask, also have you entered any of these into the contests, you sure have got winners their mate, its got to be worth a try with buds like that,

so i got the temps under control so temp wont be an issue now, ill get the nutes under control and do a proper flush, i did not flush from veg nutes either so i think i should of done this to lower the N in the soil, so ive been making a few errors that i need to put right,

:yummy: No matter what the colors, those look really delicious my friend! Good luck on the re-veg, and great growing as always! Nice pics too. Hope you are well GG7. :bravo:

Hey Xlr8! Nice to hear from ya! I'm doing well! How's things with you these days? Sorry I haven't had the time to post on your latest journals recently, but I have been lurking when I get a chance. I see you have a new one that you just started? The stuff looks great as usual! :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words regarding the latest harvest photos! Aside from this one problem with the GDP's color change being held up, which as you know is purely a cosmetic thing, I couldn't be more pleased with this year's harvests! The yield on everything so far has been over the top, to the point that I can afford to be picky about what I decide to keep and what I decide to give away. A lot of my reluctance to process an entire plant is just plain old fatigue! Some of these plants have produced well over 5 ounces of dried bud if you count everything that is on them. I was getting 3.0 to 3.5 out of the Harlequins after trimming them all the way down to that competition grade buzz cut, and only using the main colas! I gave the rest away and those folks ended up with several ounces dried just from the bottom branches and pop corn.

I chop off all the big stuff first, trim that up, and then go back to the plant and it looks like I haven't even chopped it yet! LOL! Its a nice problem to have I know, but these days I just get worn out trying to trim everything up with my hands covered in resin and going through three pairs of scissors to trim up just the top half of one of these plants! ;)

Speaking of which...

After taking a break for a few hours, I went back out to GDP #5 and chopped off another large batch of medium sized buds that were still on the plant.

I took some photos...

P1010201.JPG
P10102021.JPG
P1010203.JPG
P10102042.JPG

As I mentioned in a previous post... This year the lower branch buds have ended up with a lot more purple in the buds than the main colas, which is kind of odd. Then again, we haven't ever had a late September and early October quite like this in terms of the temperatures. I must assume that the GDP is simply responding normally to the high temps that are being thrown at them at the end of their flower cycle. I had forgotten how cold we normally are by this time of year, so when I went back through my journal to this time last year and saw the difference in the GDP color and read my own reports of overnights in the low 30s, it wasn't a stretch to equate the purple problem with the lack of mid 30 degree overnight lows. At the very least, high 30s which we haven't seen at all so far this fall.

As you said... Color aside, this stuff is still an impressive strain! The smell is so unique, that nothing I have smells remotely like Ken's GDP! And the resin quanity is simply ridiculous! I am lucky to get through three main colas before I need to change to another pair of scissors! They get so gummed up, so fast, it really slows the trimming process down! Fortunately, I own three pairs of the same Fiskars trimmers that I rotate in and out of the 70% Rubbing Alcohol glass. My hands are another story! By the time I get done with just the main colas, it feels like I have gloves on, I have so much resin on them that I can't even feel anything through it!

Its not unusual for me to get a contact high from all that resin if I don't get the stuff off right away. ;) Again... A nice problem to have I know! LOL! :)

Thanks again for checking in! Once I get all this stuff into jars, I will pop over to your new BPN journal and subscribe. Looks like you are going to have another winner on your hands!

Cheers. :)

sorry to keep hounding you with questions mate but you have got some of the most amazing looking buds so your the best to ask, also have you entered any of these into the contests, you sure have got winners their mate, its got to be worth a try with buds like that,

so i got the temps under control so temp wont be an issue now, ill get the nutes under control and do a proper flush, i did not flush from veg nutes either so i think i should of done this to lower the N in the soil, so ive been making a few errors that i need to put right,

Hey DP!

Thanks for the kind words!

No problem with the questions at all! Thats the only way we can learn how to do things right! ;)

I have a whole different approach with new clones and seedlings, but the following is my methods for growing the plants after they have matured and are in veg.

My take on nutes is different than a lot of growers out there. I subscribe to the LESS IS MORE approach, which is exactly what it sounds like! I use Fox Farm Grow Big during veg and I feed it only once every 7-14 days in between normal waterings. I use 2 table spoons of this per gallon of plain water and PH this mixture to 6.8. For plants that are in the 5 gallon or 3.5 gallon pots, I usually give them a full two gallons of this mixture per plant. In terms of watering, I generally water once a day in the spring and fall and two times a day during the peak heat of summer.

Our water is from a well, and is snow fed which is about as clean as you can get. Our water's PH ranges from between 7.3 and 7.6. I don't adjust the water's PH. I just use it just like it comes out of the tap or garden hose.

Soil and your choice of growing containers is also VERY important...

I start with a good quality soil which for me this year and most of last year has been Black Gold Waterhold Cocoblend *. This stuff is mainly ground up Coconut husks with a few other things added in, but NO NUTES in the soil of any kind. The other important consideration is the type and size of the pots you use. As you know, and as we have discussed in the past, I use Air Pots now for all my plants. I had two M.O.N. clones that I kept in small regular pots this season, but everything that I planted and cloned out myself went into Air Pots from day one.

* If you are 100% indoor, I don't recommend using this type of soil because it doesn't dry out well enough under artificial lighting. Outside it works great though!

Veg Cycle Temps...

Since I grow outside, our temps during veg can get as high as 95 degrees in July and August, so my plants are rarely subjected to cold when they are in veg. Sometimes in early spring, but very rarely. Our overnights during the veg cycle is usually in the 60s to low 70s depending on the month.

For Flower cycle...

When the plants start showing the first signs of flowering, I wait a week and then switch from FF Grow Big over to Fox Farm Tiger Bloom for flowering plants plant food. I stay with the same watering schedule and feed them this Tiger Bloom mixture every 7-14 days depending on how the plants are looking. I always PH this mixture to 5.8 because that is what FF use to print on the bottle. They have since removed any mention of this on the newer bottles of Tiger Bloom I have purchased, but I still stick with that PH number when I use it.

I water them every day or as needed depending on the temps outside. When the plants get to just over week 5 of their flowering cycle, I stop feeding them any plant food and switch over to Plantation brand Un-Sulphured Black Strap Molasses once a week. (1 TBSP per gallon - PH to 6.8) I feed them with that until week 7.5, and then I give them a dosing of my home made Clearex solution. Which is basically a Glucose/Sucrose solution for flushing. Depending on how the plants look, I might give them another dose of this a few days before harvest, or if I feel the plants need a boost at the end, I will give them one more feed of Molasses. I did this a few days ago with the GDP in an attempt to try and get more purple out of them but primarily to speed up the trichome transformation from cloudy to amber. Sugar works good for that. I was just guessing about the purple. ;)

Hope that helps! I have found that the best way to grow great weed is to stay out of the plant's way as much as possible. The biggest mistake most gardeners make with this stuff is getting too carried away with all these products out there. The LESS is MORE approach has always worked great for me with all my other crops like our famous Red Jalepeno peppers so when I started seriously growing this stuff, I used the same exact approach, and as you can see... The results speak fo themselves!

Hope that helps!

P.S. Regarding 420 Contests... I did win plant of the month for September 2011 with one of my Blueberry Kush plants, and recently I did enter one of my Harlequin buds into the NUG OF THE MONTH contest for October 2012. Check it out and vote for it if you like it best!

Cheers. :)

SHEESG, GG7, You Have Some Magnificent Looking Strains Going On!!! I am SUPREMELY IMPRESSED!!! I do Not Say That Lightly!!! I swear, I thought I was taking Pictures Out Of My Garden,LOL!!! Our Colors, and General Shape Of The Plants Is Very Similair, Don't You Just Love The Ones That Go All Red Wine, Purple, Gold and Green, they are so Beautiful, it is almost a Shame to Cut It Down, But it would Perish anyways, Outdoors, MAY AS WELL GET IT!!!!:high-five: From what I have seen, this is one Bumping Thread, Hope I am Welcomed Aboard!!! Cause I planned on coming back, a lot of Good People On This Thread!!! TAKE CARE, SINCERELY, JAMESTHEGREEN.:thumb:

Had to say it one more Time!!!GG7, AWESOME MY MAN!!! Been awhile since I viewed something that Looked So Familiar, from some wheres else, is all!!! You Do Your Own Breeding As Well I Suppose, sorry have not read in enough to know the answer to such an obvious Question. It is good to actually see another grower(LIKE SEVERAL OTHERS ON THIS 420 RIDE) that really knows His/Her Shit. It Makes You Feel Good Is All!!! I like You Adding All The additional Information and Errata In All That I Have Read!!! Which Unfortunately, Is Not Much, but Your Looking and Sounding Very Easy To Understand.:hmmmm: And that is a Good Thing, I would have To Say!!! So Great Thread, Glad I came By, and I AM IMPRESSED!!! SINCERELY, JAMESTHEGREEN.:thumb::goodjob:

Had to say it one more Time!!!GG7, AWESOME MY MAN!!! Been awhile since I viewed something that Looked So Familiar, from some wheres else, is all!!! You Do Your Own Breeding As Well I Suppose, sorry have not read in enough to know the answer to such an obvious Question. It is good to actually see another grower(LIKE SEVERAL OTHERS ON THIS 420 RIDE) that really knows His/Her Shit. It Makes You Feel Good Is All!!! I like You Adding All The additional Information and Errata In All That I Have Read!!! Which Unfortunately, Is Not Much, but Your Looking and Sounding Very Easy To Understand.:hmmmm: And that is a Good Thing, I would have To Say!!! So Great Thread, Glad I came By, and I AM IMPRESSED!!! SINCERELY, JAMESTHEGREEN.:thumb::goodjob:

Hey James!

Welcome to my journal! So glad that you stopped by for a look see! OF COURSE you are welcome here! I have no doubt that you already recognize a lot of the regulars on here right? ;) And thanks for the kind words about my garden! I really appreciate it! :)

I pride myself on a well documented journal that is always backed up with a good collection of photos for whatever topic I am posting about. Most often this is plant related, but I have also done some sections here on microscopes for trichome checking, various DIY formulations for plant nutrition which is culminated in probably my best known contribution around here which is my recipe for home made CLEAREX! There is a link to that recipe in my signature, and I know that a lot of folks around here have taken advantage of it for their own use! :)

I just got back from checking out your journal and I must agree with you that our respective growing sites and gardening experience appears to be very similar indeed! Right up to the Plant of the Month wins here on 420! :yahoo: ;)

I see from your location why the strains look so familiar to you! Most of them originate from your neck of the woods! From there and Humbolt, right down to my friends at Medicinal Organic Nursery who are based out of San Jose Ca.! Nearly everything I grow is a Nor Cal original! I didn't plan it that way, it just kind of happened! LOL! Our location up here in the Sierra Nevada mountains offers a very similar climate to where these plants originally came from, so it is no surprise that they thrive up here, and in some cases surpass even the breeders expectations! :)

To answer your question on breeding... I have dabbled in it to some degree with a few attempts at crosses, and have lately started to pursue that side of the hobby with a little more attention than a casual interest. After I get all these plants harvested, my next Cannabis adventure will be attempting to produce some GDP seeds using Colloidial Silver as was suggested to me by Jandre and further assisted by Mr. Krip via his link to Granny's popular journal postings on the subject.

I was originally planning to just let the strain die off after this 2012 season because I am taking a year off from growing in 2013 to travel and couldn't keep any clones going while I was gone. But fortunately for me... my friends here on 420 unnanimously talked me out of that idea and put me onto the path of creating some pure GDP seeds from one of my genuine GDP plants using CS. If I can get some pure GDP seeds using CS, then I will not loose such a hard to obtain strain and can grow it again from these feminized GDP seeds the next time I decide to do a grow!

Anyway... Thanks again for stopping by, and I hope that we see you around here often from now through the end of my 2012 grow! I plan to keep this journal in the "In Progress" section until I have completed that CS project which should conclude in early 2013.

Hope to chat with you again soon!

Cheers. :cheer::Namaste:

thanks for all the info mate, im very interested in this silver product for making a fem plant give pollen, im trying to mess around with autos at the moment so ill see what happens,

im hoping to end up with an auto that yields a whole lot more, its going to be a slow process but im doing more for myself than anything else, it gives me something to do and it gives me the chance to cross some strains and see what happens, its something i have never done before but now ive got seeds from 2 plants and ive got a bluematic thats giving me seeds at harvest as well, i harvested the main bud off this bluematic and it did not contain seeds, so clearly i only got pollen on the buds that i wanted to get pollen on.

i also had 2 seeds left of the ak47 cross uk cherry cheese strain and one was fem and the other male, so again i put pollen on 2 bud sites about half way down the plant, now i did this early on and the 2 buds i put pollen on are covered in trichs and further in flower than even the main top bud, so they must end the flowering process sooner due to been pollinated, i can clearly see the seeds all ready so by the looks of it the seeds will be ready and out of the plant long before the buds are ready to harvest, plus i love this strain the buds get so fat and grows really well, so im hoping that as ive also crossed this with an auto that this should give me an auto thats produces more, it will take a while to get right but im sure ill get their in the end

No problem DP!

Glad you found all that info useful! :)

I've never really sat down and taken the time to detail the specifics of my approach to outdoor growing, so thanks for giving me the opportunity to do so! :thumb:

I am definitely intrigued by the whole CS thing! Its got me thinking about possibly overwintering one of my Blue Cheese plants as well since that has always been a clone only strain since I grew the original mother plant from M.O.N. seed stock. Alex didn't have any Blue Cheese seeds available when I met up with him this last spring, so I don't have any reserves for that strain. I would hate to loose that crop as well since it has always been such a good producer, and creates a bud unlike any other!

Not sure if most people know this or not, but according to the local lore... Medicinal Organic Nursery was the originator of the Blue Cheese strain. Other breeders have since copied the idea of crossing a Blueberry with a Big Buddah Cheese, but from what I have heard around these parts, none of them are as good as the M.O.N. original cross. I've personally not grown anything other than the M.O.N. BC, but I have tried some BC bud from other sources and I concurr with others around here that they don't hold a candle to the original version.

The only problem with the M.O.N. Blue Cheese is that it is a real bitch to clone! The primary reason I bought my Turbo Klone T-48 was as a last ditch attempt to clone out this original mother plant. Rockwool just didn't cut it! Even in the cloner, under the most optimal conditions and over the top monitoring of the PH and temp, BC cuttings take nearly 20 days to root, and you are lucky to get a 60% success rate even then!

Compare that to Ken's GDP and all my other Indica strains that are usually well rooted and ready for transplant within 7-10 days and a nearly 100% success rate every time.

For those who may not have seen these photos back in the day...
Here is my original BC mother plant that was 100% indoor grown from seed and later went on to provide all the cuttings for my BC line to this day.

P10105441.JPG
P10105451.JPG

This plant sprouted in late February of 2011, was harvested on June 14th 2011 and then moved outdoors to reveg immediately thereafter. All attempts to clone it during its original veg cycle failed miserably, and was only successfully cloned after it revegged later that summer.

That first generation of BC clones only happened thanks to my investment in my Turbo Klone Aero-Cloner. I literally would not have any BC growing right now if it wasn't for my T-48! :yahoo:

Anyway...

Good luck with your autos! I've never grown any myself, mainly because they tend to be smaller plants with much smaller yields than conventional strains. Although based on your description, it sounds like you are getting more out of them than you would traditionally expect. I have always liked the idea of a Cannabis crop that wasn't light dependent, but I just haven't had the opportunity to obtain any seeds or clones from one of those strains.

Thanks!

I think I will go ahead and give this one a 24 hour light cycle for awhile. Not sure about 2 weeks because at this point in the calendar year, we stop running our central AC as much during the day because our temps start falling pretty fast in the fall, but the small guest bathroom where this plant is now being kept can get pretty hot with those lights on all the time. Without the AC on, that room can hit the mid 80s and beyond in no time.

I think I will let the lights stay on for the next 5 days before I put the timer on AUTO and let it start running the 18/6. ;)

The problem with the GDP and the Blue Cheese this spring was that I set them outside too early, and they started to go into flower, but then the light levels changed towards longer days and the plants got stuck in between flower and veg. It took an extra 3 weeks to get them out of that nether state between the two cycles and back into a solid veg state. The odd looking growth you see on GDP 1 now once all the newer growth has been removed is still the remnants from that 50/50 state these were in when they were much smaller.

Well, that and they were in the shade of a tree and not getting light for the back half of the day.

GDP #1 - Phase 2 - Complete Harvest and Groom for Move Indoors

I cherry picked a few more of the larger diameter colas and gave the bulk of this stuff to my neighbor who was delighted to get SO MUCH GDP!! Ironically, it was the smaller lower branch buds that had the most purple on them. In the first few photos of all the branches, you will be able to see the stark contrast between some colas and others in terms of their color.

P10101783.JPG
P10101793.JPG
P10101802.JPG

GDP 1 after the bulk of the flower branches had been removed.

P10101812.JPG

The inner core of this plant was still jam packed with all that old 50/50 growth from when these were struggling to reveg this last spring, so I had to go in and cut all that out and remove all the dead leaves that were being held against the main stalk by that twisted, tumble weed like growth.

Here she is after all that was removed...

P10101844.JPG

And finally, after her move into the bathtub grow space!

P10101851.JPG
P10101862.JPG

I've got the light timer set to an 18/6 schedule which should help get her into reveg mode sooner. I also fed her 2 gallons of Fox Farm Grow Big along with a gallon of B1 transplant solution just in case the plant got stressed from all the sudden removal of all of her main branch tops.

Now we just need to wait and see if she responds to the light change and starts putting out new veg style growth.

Stay tuned for the next set of harvest photos coming up in the next couple of days.

Cheers! :)

I put two of mine out too early and they never really recovered from it. I only got a ounce of fluff a piece. Very good effect' but really fluffy lol!
I had them in the woods with only indirect light, thats probably why they didn't fully recover.

Well, that and they were in the shade of a tree and not getting light for the back half of the day.

Yep! I see you were paying attention! LOL!! ;)

That obviously didn't help matters any, but even the few plants on the guest house deck that were getting nearly full sun suffered from the same problem to almost the same degree.

I definitely learned my lesson about rushing things outdoors in the spring. I was so focused on the overnight lows that I forgot about the amount of total daylight! Normally it is too cold to put them out that early, so I have never had the option to do so until the light levels were much higher and longer than the date they all went outside this year.

Lesson learned! That will never happen again! ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

I put two of mine out too early and they never really recovered from it. I only got a ounce of fluff a piece. Very good effect' but really fluffy lol!
I had them in the woods with only indirect light, thats probably why they didn't fully recover.

Hey Gitter!

Yeah... I know its a dumb mistake to make, but easy to do if you are more focused on a frost free overnight temp pattern and getting them outside and into the sunlight ASAP! It is amazing how much of a difference 30 minutes less sunlight per day can make to these plants! That was literally the difference between when I put them out this season, and when I normally put them out in seasons past. We were getting 12.5 hours of daylight when I put them out this spring, as compared to the 13 hours of daylight we are at when I normally put them out just a few short weeks later in the month!

Regarding the light, airy bud syndrome...

Provided you are gowing a strain that normally produces the good dense kind of bud.. I call that light airy stuff "Pop Corn" bud. It can often have a very good amount of potency, but it lacks that dense, solid, firm feel and appearance of premium bud. You're right to assume that fluffy bud is the direct result of the plant not getting enough light during the flower cycle. Most plants end up producing at least some of this kind of bud on their lower branches because those buds are often blocked from good light by the foilage and buds further up the plant. One of the impressive things about this Harlequin I grew this year was how little of that stuff there was, even on the lowest branches. It still had some close to the main stalk, but far less than even the GDP and Blue Cheese do, and they have a lot less than your average strain does.

I really don't care for Pop Corn bud myself, regardless of its potency... Thats why this year, I have been giving those lower branch buds away to Cannabis friendly neighbors who are more than happy to take them off my hands for free! LOL! Saves me the trouble and guilt of tossing them in the compost pile. This arrangement also shifts the burden of the harvested plant's disposal over to them to deal with! One less thing to worry about after harvesting a plant, which is always a good thing.

I just give them a call when I have one ready for them, they come over, chop it off at the base, bag it up and take it all away! :thumb:

Great way to deal with popcorn buds - keep the neighbors happy! Brilliant idea. Mine usually ends up going towards edibles projects like cookies or brownies (along with trim leaves) but sometimes I have too much of it. :)

Back
Top Bottom