GG7's Indoor/Outdoor Grows!

congrats on the harvest mate, you got some amazing looking buds, im trying my hardest to get this blueberry to turn purple, tried everything, flushed it as its close to harvest to starve it from N but its still nice and green, take it out the flower room and place it on a window sill with the window open and still it wont change colour, all it does is makes me very cold when i need to go the toilet, clearly im not having much look with the purples, maybe ill try shoving it in the fridge over night and chill it like that, i think my problem is that its an auto and these ruderalis are from cold climates so i dont think im getting it cold enough, the breeders packets clearly shows a very vivid purpley pink buds, all im getting is some dark green buds, no change in colour what so ever, right thats enough of my moaning, im giving up on the purps till i can get a decent purple strain.

on the plus side i got over 300 seeds from the sour kush cross kiwi, i soaked a few and some sprouted in less than 12 hours so they gone in pots, so i got plenty of seeds to be getting on with, just need to grow a couple and see what it turns out like, i also got this bluematic to harvest and get the seeds from, its another purple strain that wont turn purple, and this should give me a few auto seeds and none auto seeds so ill cross a male and female with the auto trait and try and get a load of auto seeds with this purple trait and ill grow these in the middle of winter and see if i can get some purple,

in other words im not impressed with these supposed purple strains, instead ill come to your journal and look at yours.

well done mate you got some very nice looking buds and i would say im amazed at how many seeds you got, but i only pollenated 3 small buds, id say dry weight about 6 to 7g and i spent hours picking the seeds out and ended up with well over 300, their was more seed than bud, i thought id have about 10 or so seeds, but i got a huge tub full, more than ill ever need for a good while anyways, so at least i got some seed stock for future grows and future crosses,

reps on the harvest mate, and ill be sure to check in when you start growing them seeds, should be an amazing strain

Please note my earlier post on how many seeds you'd get.

Nice seeds from "the minis". Looks like you'll have some seeds to cross to try and stabilize the strain, if you wanted to.
About the GPD Female in the room with the PR...I think I said about 175-200 seeds, and that's what I'm sticking with. :cheesygrinsmiley: Good luck!:circle-of-love:

Excellent looking bud you got, too from the Harlequin GDB! You trim yours a little more leafy than I do, but I use all my sugar leaf trim for Dry Ice Hash.

I love the pic of the mantis... I see these all over my apartment complex. Makes me smile every time I see a big female, abdomen swollen with eggs.

Looks likeI was just a hair under... That's about 225-240 seeds.

Hey DP!

Well, at least you managed to get an impressive seed yield right? ;)

Thanks for the good word on my various harvests! I have no complaints with anything so far. This screwed up hot and dry weather has been good for one thing at least...It has really cut down on the Powdery Mildew problem which is usually a major problem by this time of the season. Its been so dry and warm until today that there just hasn't been enough humidity in the mornings to give the PM any chance of getting a solid foothold.

The dowside as I have mentioned is the delay this warm weather has created with the trichomes turning amber and for the GDP to complete its color change.

Regading your problems with purple strains... As you said yourself... I agree that you haven't actually been working with strong purple strains in your various grows so far. That is likely the primary cause of your difficulties.

For example... Blueberry isn't really considered a purple strain per se. It does have some of the phenotypes shared by true purple strains, but it isn't in the same league as strains like GDP, Purple Diesel and Purple Urkle. Even if you do get your hands on one of the well known purple Indica, these strains are much harder to work with indoors in regards to color change simply because you can't give them the predicatable and regular temp range swings from the 70-80s in the daytime down to the 40-50s at night. The plants need to be subjected to this kind of environment for many, many weeks at the end of the flower cycle. Just a few days to a week of manually moving them from a grow light to a fridge or opened window isn't going to do it I'm afraid. I have no experience with Autos. I can give you all the info you need on conventional purple strains since so much of what I grow is this type of Cannabis. :)

But when it comes to getting any purple strain to change color... You can see from my own current results with my GDP this season just how crucial these low overnight temps are in insuring that a purple strain will indeed make a full color change at the end of the flower cycle. If you go back in my journal to this same time last year and compare the color of the GDP on October 1st 2011 to October 1st 2012, you will see how much of a difference the lack of sufficient overnight lows can make!

Fortunately, this cool down we began to see up here yesterday is really bringing our overall temps back down to where they should be. We got down to 45 degrees F this morning, which is exactly what the GDP have been waiting for! I am hopeful that if this trend continues for at least another 5-7 days, my plants should react quickly with a full transition to that beautiful dark/black purple hue that Ken's original GDP is famous for!

This should also give my non purple strains like the M.O.N. Blue Cheese and Grand Pa Larry a kick in the butt and force their trichomes to begin turning amber instead of staying stuck at cloudy like they have for the last several weeks now. :)

P.S. Thanks for the reps! :thumb:

Much appreciated! :)

no worries mate, thanks for all the info, so the cooler temps even affects the trichs, theirs so much i dont know but im taking it all in, ill try a true purple strain as its pretty much winter here now and ill be able to get these temps down without any problems over a longer period, in fact ill be having problems keeping the temps up, ill be ok with the lights on but when they go off it gets pretty damn cold, thats the problem with not living in my own property, its run by my local council and they dont worry to much about looking after the place so its pretty drafty and pretty cold at night and its only going to get worse, i may have to switch my light schedule round so its on at night and off in the day, it will be a pain but if i notice my plants slow down in growth then ill switch the lighting round.

ill order some purple strain that i know is a genuine purple strain and give it a try, i can do it over a longer period instead of the last weeks of flower, so i could keep it in the grow room during the veg cycle and then when it starts flowering i can take it out in the cold and put it back in when the lights come on, this should give me the temp change im looking for, either that or im clearing some space in my fridge and ill stick them in their, lol, if only it was that easy.
its more of a challenge now mate, i just want to try and grow some purple strain and get some purple buds, i look on the seed sites and the pictures show some bright purple and violet buds, but clearly this is not a true image of the strain, on herbies both the auto blueberry and bluematic clearly show bright purple buds and im talking the whole bud, but i have found auto ruderalis is from cold climates anyway so its used to these low temps,

anyways mate, thanks for all the great info, it gives me something to work off,

Happy to help!

I would see if you can get your hands on some Medicinal Organic Nursery "Purple Diesel". It does't need the cold nights as much as something like GDP or Purple Urkle does. Like any true purple strain, it will benefit from that kind of cold overnight environment, but I have seen folks get close to the same colors with a standard indoor growing environment.

I just posted my PD harvest the other day. The plant was very easy to grow and produced nice big fat buds even though the plant was on the small side and was grown start to finish in a 1.5 gallon Air Pot!

Definitely worth the effort to try and track some seeds down! Check ther website for more details! :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

thanks mate ill see what i can find.

No problem my friend! :)

P.S. Trichomes don't require cold temps to turn amber, but in my experience I have found that it definitely helps to speed this transformation with stains that are slow to finish in a static growing environment.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Please note my earlier post on how many seeds you'd get.

Looks likeI was just a hair under... That's about 225-240 seeds.

Cool! I would have guessed closer to 500, but I'm not good at estimating beans in a jar. ;)

Bottom line... WAY MORE than I will probably ever get through in my lifetime! ;)

GDP Seed Project Final
Impressive yield with over 1/4 cup of seeds!

P10101303.JPG

How many do you think we have here?
I don't have the patience to actually count them! ;)

P10101322.JPG

Still have a little cleaning to do, but I plan to just cherry pick the largest and best looking seeds whenever I decide to plant some of these. In the closeups you can still see some resin and the outer coating on a few of the seeds.

P10101333.JPG
P10101343.JPG
P10101365.JPG
P10101352.JPG

I will be storing these in our front drying closet in this large pill bottle...

P10101373.JPG

So... That concludes my GDP/Purple Rhino seed project!

I am more than pleased with the final results. The only thing left to determine is whether or not a GDP/Purple Rhino cross is a quality strain. For that, we will have to wait until at least next year.

Hope you enjoyed this little experiment!

Cheers. :)

My mailing address is...........

Purple Diesel - Final Trim and Into the Curing Jar +
A Surprise Inside!

Some notes on final prep for curing...

I always like to trim my bud down as close as possible by removing any leaf tips, empty stems etc. You basically want the bud surface to be flat and not filled with a lot of deep nooks and crannies where mold can later form. This is why I prefer strains that produce tight, dense nugs. I personally don't care for the light weight, airy kind of bud that is referred to as "pop corn bud".

If the pop corn is claimed to be from a premium strain, then the colas didn't get enough light during flower or was harvested from the lower branches of the plant which tend to be less dense than the main colas. I personally don't consider that kind of stuff retail quality MMJ. Lastly, you can't close trim pop corn because there isn't a solid core to trim down to. If you attempt a close trim, what you end up with is a tiny little ball or nothing at all! :biglaugh:

Some advice for those who buy...

If you are buying a premium strain and paying those premium prices for it, you want that bud to look like the stuff pictured below. Anything listed as A or A+ grade MMJ should be dense enough to allow for a close trim like this. If it isn't, then you are getting overcharged for a lot of extra weight that should have been trimmed off by the grower before it was packaged up for sale! Strains like Ken's GDP, Blue Cheese, Harlequin, Blueberry Kush etc. should be very dense and heavy bud! If properly grown, these strains do not produce pop corn bud!

As for the trimmed off remnants from my harvests... I usually keep this stuff and put it into a labeled baggie and use it for rolling joints. This trim still has a lot of resin on it and it would be a waste to toss it, but I don't believe in leaving it on the final product! ;)

Here are a few photos of the buds after the final trimming process.

Natural Light

P1010149.JPG

Flash

P10101393.JPG

The trim remnants

P10101551.JPG
P10101401.JPG

P10101572.JPG

Close-ups of the buds after their final trim...

P10101411.JPG
P10101421.JPG
P10101431.JPG
P10101442.JPG
P10101461.JPG
P10101471.JPG
P10101501.JPG
P1010151.JPG

Surprise, Surprise!!

During the trim, I was pleased to hear the sound of some large, heavy seeds falling out of the bud and onto the tray! I must assume that these three seeds are feminized and pure Purple Diesel genetics! Unlike the GDP seeds, these seeds are jet black and glossy. :)

P10101531.JPG
P10101542.JPG

Here is the final weigh in, which doesn't include about a 1/4 ounce of early bud that got snapped off the plant a few weeks ago during watering. I am curing that bud separately in its own jar, since it came off the plant about two weeks ago and will likely have a different effect than the bud that went the full cycle.

P10101581.JPG

So there ya have the latest from my grows! The next bud up for final trimming is the GDP #1 Phase 1 harvest. It is still drying and has another few days to go before it will be dry enough for a close trim.

Stay tuned! :)

Absolutely stellar job, Brother! Your buds look fantastic! +REPS!

BTW, if you're interested in learning about using CS to produce seeds, you should checkout Granny's thread:

Producing Feminized Seeds Using Colloidal Silver

Hey Hey Mr. K!!! :yahoo:

Thanks for the compliments and the Reps! :thumb:

I was hoping that you were still lurking out there in my journal subscription queue! I really didn't want you to miss seeing what is turning out to be my best grow ever! :partyboy:

In fact, if you didn't show up soon, I was going to send you a PM! LOL!

Thanks a million for that link about using CS!! I know that Granny is great at educating folks on things like this, so I am more than pleased to learn that she has indeed put pen to paper on this very subject!

After Jandre suggested it, I have been fasinated with the concept and really need to learn all I can about the process! I know a lot of folks think I am an expert on "all" this stuff, (hardly) but I truly had NO IDEA that you could force a female plant to produce its own pollen and create its own seeds! It makes sense now that I think about it, but the concept never ocurred to me, and for whatever reason, I never knew you could do such a thing!

Coincidentally, finding those surprise seeds in some of this unfertilized Purple Diesel today has convinced me that miracles are indeed possible, so why not create a miracle on demand with my GDP using CS? ;) The thought of being able to capture all the genetics of my GDP strain in seed form is wonderful! It definitely makes overwintering the strain for one more year an easy decision!

In fact, I'm now seriously considering cloning out a half dozen GDP cuttings from a revegged mother and trying the CS on several plants, just to insure that I get the results I am looking for! ;)

Thanks again for stopping by and especially for providing me with such a useful link! REPS to you back my friend! :Namaste:

Sorry that I have been absent from your own journal for so long! Things have been crazy busy around here this summer, but things are finally starting to wind down, and after this harvest is done, I should have a lot more time to hang with you and my other long time growing comrades here on 420!

Talk to ya soon buddy and thanks again! :)

Hey Hey Mr. K!!! :yahoo:

Thanks for the compliments and the Reps! :thumb:

I was hoping that you were still lurking out there in my journal subscription queue! I really didn't want you to miss seeing what is turning out to be my best grow ever! :partyboy:

In fact, if you didn't show up soon, I was going to send you a PM! LOL!

Thanks a million for that link about using CS!! I know that Granny is great at educating folks on things like this, so I am more than pleased to learn that she has indeed put pen to paper on this very subject!

After Jandre suggested it, I have been fasinated with the concept and really need to learn all I can about the process! I know a lot of folks think I am an expert on "all" this stuff, (hardly) but I truly had NO IDEA that you could force a female plant to produce its own pollen and create its own seeds! It makes sense now that I think about it, but the concept never ocurred to me, and for whatever reason, I never knew you could do such a thing!

Coincidentally, finding those surprise seeds in some of this unfertilized Purple Diesel today has convinced me that miracles are indeed possible, so why not create a miracle on demand with my GDP using CS? ;) The thought of being able to capture all the genetics of my GDP strain in seed form is wonderful! It definitely makes overwintering the strain for one more year an easy decision!

In fact, I'm now seriously considering cloning out a half dozen GDP cuttings from a revegged mother and trying the CS on several plants, just to insure that I get the results I am looking for! ;)

Thanks again for stopping by and especially for providing me with such a useful link! REPS to you back my friend! :Namaste:

Sorry that I have been absent from your own journal for so long! Things have been crazy busy around here this summer, but things are finally starting to wind down, and after this harvest is done, I should have a lot more time to hang with you and my other long time growing comrades here on 420!

Talk to ya soon buddy and thanks again! :)

You know I'm never that far away from your journal, Brother! You should have gotten some "Likes" from me pretty recently, but I've been real short on time these days, too, so if I don't have something to really add to the conversation (or some joke to make! :)), I haven't been posting much.

Actually, I haven't even looked for new journals in months! I just keep following the my buddies' journals and they keep leading me to new ones!

You'll enjoy Granny's journal and glad I could help with it. She does a great job of documenting the process, others with experience contribute great posts & advice, and the conversation is more "elevated" than you'll find in most journals. Plus, Granny is a sweetheart! :love:

An added benefit will be getting to see you produce a motherload of GDP seeds (I expect you to send me some!)! :high-five:

No worries on not being by my journal in a while. I don't get there that often, myself! With the perpetual SOG, there's rarely anything new and exciting to report these days, but I did just post some pics last weekend of a batch of dry ice hash I made from the trimmings I'd been collecting. :yummy:

Looks like I won't be closing out my journal at the end of this harvest after all! ;)

That's the added benefit I was talking about!

And, since I know how much you like making your own stuff:

[video=youtube;v_xvOYb8wI4]
[/video]

If you watch it on YouTube, there's a link to a good article and sources for the ingredients. :Namaste:

You know I'm never that far away from your journal, Brother! You should have gotten some "Likes" from me pretty recently, but I've been real short on time these days, too, so if I don't have something to really add to the conversation (or some joke to make! :)), I haven't been posting much.

Actually, I haven't even looked for new journals in months! I just keep following the my buddies' journals and they keep leading me to new ones!

You'll enjoy Granny's journal and glad I could help with it. She does a great job of documenting the process, others with experience contribute great posts & advice, and the conversation is more "elevated" than you'll find in most journals. Plus, Granny is a sweetheart! :love:

An added benefit will be getting to see you produce a motherload of GDP seeds (I expect you to send me some!)! :high-five:

No worries on not being by my journal in a while. I don't get there that often, myself! With the perpetual SOG, there's rarely anything new and exciting to report these days, but I did just post some pics last weekend of a batch of dry ice hash I made from the trimmings I'd been collecting. :yummy:

Cool! Glad to hear it! I will try to get over there and see those new photos later on Monday!

Regarding seeds... I will definitely send you some! Jandre too if we can arrange it safely for all!

I hear ya about the journal. Its another level of work on top of actually growing the stuff! I often think how much easier it would be to do all this stuff if I didn't have to take photos of everything all the time! LOL!

Still... I do like the idea of having it all well documented for posterity sake and all that! Not to mention the fact that many sections have already helped out a lot of other growers around here! Just like your journals have! :)

I am in the same boat as you in regards to following new journals and even keeping up with the ones I have already subscribed to. Many of them move so fast that the few comments I have tried to contribute seem to get buried before anyone even sees them since I have not seen much response to what I say there and I also haven't noticed anyone from those threads posting here so... I may as well bank that time and stay focused on old friends and my own work for now.

Its not like I don't have more than enough to do already! ;)

Regarding the CS project...

I've already made good use of that link you gave me!

See the next post... ;)

As a follow up to Mr. K's link to Granny's page...

I just ordered a 16oz bottle of Bio-Silver Ultra Colloidal Silver 50 ppm which is the same brand and size that she used on her first plant. Sounds like this will be more than enough for me to do four plants total. Two treated with the CS and two left alone to be the recipients of the pollen from the CS treated GDP males.

Based on how many seeds I got from a 3 foot tall GDP plant, I would say that the yield from two female plants should be more than enough. Since I won't be growing any other Cannabis during this project, and since I have no need or desire to consume any bud from these plants, I am going to go ahead and put the CS treated/transformed GDP plants in the tub right next to the two female GDP clones and allow them to be pollenated by the male versions directly when the time comes! This instead of collecting the pollen and applying it to the flower buds manually like she did. I pollenated the GDP with the Purple Rhino male the natural way and you saw the results! Can't argue with success right?

I plan to use my cloner closet to work up the GDP males and the tub to raise the female GDP clones. I will start the treated plants on a 12/12 a week to 10 days before the females and once I start seeing male pollen sacs forming, I will move the transformed GDP male plants into the tub with the females and let them do their thing!

Looks like I won't be closing out my journal at the end of this harvest after all!

One last project to complete this winter first! I think it will make a fitting final project to close things out if I am successful in creating pure Ken's GDP seeds!

Can't wait to get the ball rolling on this one! Just need another 5-7 days for the GDP to be ready for harvest so I can pick my mother plant and start her on a good solid 18/6 light schedule in the tub to begin the reveg process! Then comes the Turbo Klone session to produce the vegging clones, and then we begin the CS project! Based on my notes from past reveg and cloning sessions, I figure we should be well on our way to the CS project part of the process by mid December, give or take a few weeks on either side.

Can't wait to get started!

Thanks again to Jandre and Mr. Krip for the idea and the links!

P.S. Stay tuned for the GDP #1 Phase 1 final trim and weigh in next, followed by my next harvest! Not sure what plant will be ready next. Most likely one of the M.O.N clones or possibly one of the Blue Cheese plants. The GDP will most likely be the last strain I harvest this season

That's the added benefit I was talking about!

And, since I know how much you like making your own stuff:

[video=youtube;v_xvOYb8wI4]
[/video]

If you watch it on YouTube, there's a link to a good article and sources for the ingredients. :Namaste:

Interesting! Thanks for the link!

Based on my work load right now, I decided to just go ahead and buy some commercial stuff. Since I really don't want to throw any unknowns into the mix, I thought I would play it safe by getting the same brand that Granny used successfully in her HOW TO. :)

The stuff isn't that expensive at $24 bucks for 16 oz delivered. Worth it to me to save me the time of making it myself right now. Might consider it in the future though! ;)

Def read thru Granny's journal, you may need more than a 10 day spread between the plants....I'd wait till I see the male parts get developed before I start the "females", the males will continue to flower till you get rid of them. Granny had issues with the receptive females getting too far ahead of the CS males and the seed not finishing.

Def read thru Granny's journal, you may need more than a 10 day spread between the plants....I'd wait till I see the male parts get developed before I start the "females", the males will continue to flower till you get rid of them. Granny had issues with the receptive females getting too far ahead of the CS males and the seed not finishing.

Hey OG!!

Nice to see ya again!

Thanks for the word of warning! I definitely don't want the timing to get messed up! I will go back through her journal and make sure that I don't miss any of the later bits. Sections where she may have found a better way to do something, or like you just said, found that the timing originally put forward could have been done better in retrospect! :)

I was just out in the back trying to determine which of my GDP plants would make the best candidate for the mother plant. When all is said and done, I think I am going to have to go with GDP #1. Since I recently harvested most of the main colas, there isn't much left on the plant that I would want to keep, and it is in a 5 gallon Air Pot. This is good for the plant, but kind of bad for me cause it will take up that much more space in the tub. Still, it has that HUGE main stalk, which is more like a TRUNK these days, and it was the biggest plant of the bunch.

All things considered I think GDP 1 would have the best chance of making a good, solid reveg and obviously the best and most viable clones for the CS project.

Guess I will just have to put less peppers in there with her than I had originally planned to. ;)

I will probably trim her up later today and harvest the few remaining THICK colas that remain on the plant. Her bottom portions are still green with a lot of pop corn bud and single leaves which is a good thing for revegging as you guys know! The more green left on her the better!

We gave the bathroom and the tub a good scrubbing down when we took that mite infested GDP out of there a few weeks ago, so hopefully, GDP 1 doesn't end up bringing any outdoor pests back inside with her! The tub is so nice and clean right now, I would hate for that to happen!

Stay tuned for more on this NEW little project!

Back
Top Bottom