GG7's Indoor/Outdoor Grows!

GDP #5 and Purple Diesel Photo Update

Here are some early morning photos I took today of GDP #5 and my M.O.N. Purple Diesel clone. This GDP is showing the most amber potential right now, so it will likely be the first GDP I chop. The Purple Diesel is getting close too, but at least another couple of days for that one.

It is interesting the differences in the purple locations of both of these strains. The Purple Diesel has always had its purple concentrated in the buds, while the GDP always starts with the fan leaves first, and the buds are always the last portions of the plant to turn purple.

So here we go...

GDP #5 at Week 8.5

P10133641.JPG
P1013370.JPG

P1013366.JPG
P1013371.JPG

p1013372.jpg

Flash photos of the colas...

P1013377.JPG
p1013368.jpg
p1013369.jpg

Purple Diesel

P1013374.JPG
P1013375.JPG
P1013376.JPG
p1013373.jpg

:thanks:

:bravo: clean one of them girls up, and enter it in the plant of the month!:cheesygrinsmiley: beautiful Goose!

:bravo: clean one of them girls up, and enter it in the plant of the month!:cheesygrinsmiley: beautiful Goose!

Thanks Man!

I was thinking about entering GDP 1 or 2 which are the two biggest GDPs I have, but I will probably wait until next month's contest after I have final photos of everything from this season in the can. ;)

I am hoping that this cool down that is starting today will kick them over the top and get the buds turning that super dark/black purple color that Ken's is known for. :)

GDP #2 Photos • Week 8.5

Earlier this afternoon I was out watering some of the plants and noticed that GDP #2 was brilliantly bathed in the golden afternoon sunlight. I could see the colas glistening in that golden sunlight, so I grabbed the camera and snapped a few photos of this plant before I lost the light.

Have a look!

P1010082.JPG
P1010083.JPG

P10100871.JPG
P10100883.JPG

Cola Closeups!

P10100853.JPG
P10100861.JPG
P10100904.JPG
P10100911.JPG
P1010092.JPG
P10100783.JPG
P10100793.JPG
P10100801.JPG
P10100812.JPG

This is the plant that I am intending to reveg if all goes well, but either way I think we are looking at over 3 ounces of dried, closely manicured bud when all is said and done. The trichomes on all the GDP is still primarily cloudy, with very little amber yet showing up. GDP #5 which I presented earlier today, has the most amber of all the GDP plants, but I think they all still need several more days of cold overnights before they are going to be truly ready for harvest.

Fortunately, our late season heat wave is weakening today and by Monday we will actually be BELOW normal temps for early October. We could have lows in the mid 40s by then, which is exactly what GDP needs at harvest time. :)

:cheer::Namaste:

As I was looking at the pics above, I actually said out loud, "*There* it is..." Glad to see that beautiful tasty purple showing up. I know it doesn't do much for potency, but the flavor and aroma . . . Nothing like it.

Exactly! :thumb:

This latest heat wave all but stopped the purple production with all the GDPs, but now that we are "finally" heading back down to more normal temps for October and then possibly 5-10 degrees BELOW normal by Tuesday, I am fully expecting them to resume where they left off and darken considerably from where they are today in the above photos. By harvest time, there should be very little green leaves left on the plant. Hopefully that happens before the trichomes amber up to where I like them to be.

This has been a very whacky year for weather up here, so I am not sure at this point what to expect from the GDP at chop time in terms of color. I'm hoping to have the bulk of them harvested by the middle of next week, so we haven't much longer to wait and wonder. ;)

Next up is my M.O.N. Purple Diesel Harvest Photos! Just got done chopping and trimming that one up and hung in a drying closet.

I'm going to bump this page a few times so I can post that big harvest photo spread at the top of a new page.

Stay tuned! :)

Medicinal Organic Nursery • Purple Diesel Harvest
Impressive results for such a small plant in a 1.5 Gallon Air Pot!

As you know, I have been closely monitoring the trichomes on all the various plants out back. Well this morning, this M.O.N. Purple Diesel was finally showing a decent amount of amber. Not as much as I normally shoot for, but based on the plant's age and the fact that I am unfamiliar with this strain, I decided to go ahead and chop it.

Here are some photos of the plant just before the chop, and immediately after the colas got a rough trim for hang drying...

P10101013.JPG
P10101021.JPG
P10101034.JPG
P10101042.JPG
P10101052.JPG
P10101062.JPG
P10101071.JPG
P10101083.JPG
P10101091.JPG
P10101102.JPG

Like all of the M.O.N. strains...This bud is incredibly dense, sticky with a VERY distinctive aroma! This strain smells like pine trees with a hint of Rosemary! Reminds me of the smell we got from our Purple Urkle crop last year.

I have a feeling that this one is going to be VERY STRONG! Even at close to week 9, the majority of the trichomes were still cloudy.

GDP Seed Project Photo Update
Thar be Seeds!

Yesterday I took all the colas out of the vaccum sealed bags and placed them on drying racks outside in the shade. No sign of any spider mites, so my idea worked as expected! :thumb:

The bud has a very odd feel and appearance after being in that vaccuum for 5 days, but they are now slowly drying out on the racks and a few seeds have already fallen out on their own. You can see and feel all the seeds still buried within the bud material. The following photos will show you what I am referring to. Once they are dry enough, I will crumble them up to release the bulk of the seeds which are still incased in the thick plant matter.

I snapped a few photos for you guys to check out!

P10100932.JPG
P10100942.JPG
P10100953.JPG
P10100962.JPG
P10100974.JPG

GDPR!!

P10101004.JPG
P10100981.JPG

Tried to bump to a new page, and the software didn't start 103 until AFTER I posted these bumps. ?? At first they were all on 102, so I kept posting bump posts.

Wish we had more control over new pages and the ability to delete posts wthin a specific period of time.

Ummm.... I show that the photo post is the first post on 103. Next time you have problems with pages, I have found that if you F5, or refresh your page, the last post you just made will get shoved off to the next.

Hmmmm...

I will have to try that! I haven't yet been able to find a reliable way to start a new page in which to post a big update at the top of.

When I posted the first couple of bump posts, they were still on page 102, so I posted another one, and another one. They were all still on page 102. I posted a couple more, but they were all still at the bottom of 102. Then a few minutes later when I came back to post the Puple Diesel update, the majority of those bump posts were now on a new page... 103. So, I edited the first two and put the Purple Diesel harvest and the GDP seed project photos in those first two.

It would be nice if we had the option to delete a new post within a few minutes of creating it, and also be able to force start a new page for big updates that you want to make sure everyone sees. Can't tell you how many times I have posted an important update that ends up being the last post at the very bottom of a page, then any replies to that update starts a new page. Soon, the important update ends up getting buried and many folks end up missing it entirely.

Hmmmm...

I will have to try that! I haven't yet been able to find a reliable way to start a new page in which to post a big update at the top of.

When I posted the first couple of bump posts, they were still on page 102, so I posted another one, and another one. They were all still on page 102. I posted a couple more, but they were all still at the bottom of 102. Then a few minutes later when I came back to post the Puple Diesel update, the majority of those bump posts were now on a new page... 103. So, I edited the first two and put the Purple Diesel harvest and the GDP seed project photos in those first two.

It would be nice if we had the option to delete a new post within a few minutes of creating it, and also be able to force start a new page for big updates that you want to make sure everyone sees. Can't tell you how many times I have posted an important update that ends up being the last post at the very bottom of a page, then any replies to that update starts a new page. Soon, the important update ends up getting buried and many folks end up missing it entirely.

True, I think that a little more control over our own thread would be nice, especially considering how tidy they like the forums to be. The only thing you can do now is to let 420 Girl know by hitting the "Report Post" link and add to her work here by asking her to delete the posts.

GDP Seed Project Photo Update
Thar be Seeds!

Yesterday I took all the colas out of the vaccum sealed bags and placed them on drying racks outside in the shade. No sign of any spider mites, so my idea worked as expected! :thumb:

The bud has a very odd feel and appearance after being in that vaccuum for 5 days, but they are now slowly drying out on the racks and a few seeds have already fallen out on their own. You can see and feel all the seeds still buried within the bud material. The following photos will show you what I am referring to. Once they are dry enough, I will crumble them up to release the bulk of the seeds which are still incased in the thick plant matter.

I snapped a few photos for you guys to check out!

P10100932.JPG
P10100942.JPG
P10100953.JPG
P10100962.JPG
P10100974.JPG

GDPR!!

P10101004.JPG
P10100981.JPG
Have you been following a labrador around? Those diesel buds look cool, like green frosty pine cones!
very nice update man!

Have you been following a labrador around? Those diesel buds look cool, like green frosty pine cones!
very nice update man!

LOL! Yeah...That GDP doesn't look very appetizing does it? ;)

The vaccuum sealing did take care of the spider mites though, and the seeds are getting increasingly easy to extract as the stuff dries out more and more. I have already gotten out about 150 seeds from about 1/3rd of the plant material. Will take some photos tomorrow night once I get all the seeds out. Some are really big and some are on the small side. All look well deveoped and the right color, with the stripes on them. :)

Glad you liked the Purple Diesel! I was really pleased with the yield from that little clone. Shows you what an Air Pot can do! Based on how all the plants in those 1.5s did this season, I would feel confident growing a crop to full term in those little things from start to finish! :thumb:

I just got done harvesting the top colas off of GDP #1. The trichomes were looking pretty amber tonight on that plant, so I decided to go ahead and chop a good portion of the main colas even though they were not that purple yet. Once I trimmed them down there wasn't much purple deep inside the buds so that tells me that the rest of them are going to need several more nights of cold temps even though the outsides on most of the others are looking really dark already even though the trichomes are just now starting to turn.

Since GDP 1 had the highest amber ratio, I decided to chop some of it now based on that, even though this plant had the least amount of purple on the buds. I chalk it up to the screwed up weather and temps!

I took photos of this harvest, but probably won't get a chance to post them until late tonight or tomorrow morning.

One thing is clear at this point...

This damned heat wave totally screwed up my harvesting schedule! Set me back a good 5 days from where everything would have been with normal fall temps!

GDP #1 Partial Harvest Photo Update!
She had the most amber of all the GDP so...

The clock is ticking and I am running out of time up here before the first rain/snow and/or frost decends on our area. The calendar is a constant reminder to me that I really need to get this crop harvested ASAP. The problem this season has been the whacked out weather! One week we have normal temps and the next week we are seeing highs in the mid 90s and overnight lows near 70! In freaking October!
:scratchinghead:

Needless to say, this hasn't done myself or my plants any favors in terms of providing a predictable environment in which to plan out a clear harvesting schedule this year. The most recent heat wave that just ended yesterday all but stopped the GDP from going purple, and also haulted any trichome changes to other strains like my Blue Cheese and the non-purple M.O.N. strains like GrandPa Larry OG, Grand Tahoe and Inferno.

After harvesting the Purple Diesel clone this morning, I waited until this evening to recheck all the trichomes on everything. After a low this morning of 53 F, I did see a tiny bit of color change in the GDP and a little more amber under the loupe as well. Tonight when I checked GDP #1 I was surprised to see that the larger main colas had definitely added more amber than what I saw early this morning. Problem is... This plant had the least amount of purple on the buds themselves, but the percentage of amber on these main colas was definitely where it needed to be. Based on that reality, I decided to go ahead and harvest just the top portion of the plant.

This GDP is HUGE! By far the largest GDP plant I have ever grown here, and even after taking 15 main colas from the top portion of the plant, I had only harvested about one third of the total viable bud! I usually give the lower buds to my neighbor cause I have too much of the stuff to be bothered trying to manicure anything under 2 inches in diameter. Sounds crazy I know, but when you end up with strains like I have here, you tend to get very picky about what passes for keepers! ;)

Well... See for yourself! ;)

P10101182.JPG
P10101162.JPG

The main stalk is just under 3 inches in diameter!
Getting closer to being a small TREE than a large bush!

P10101172.JPG
P10101131.JPG
P10101141.JPG
P10101151.JPG

15 Colas Chopped and Rough Trimmed for Hang Drying...

P1010119.JPG
P10101203.JPG
P10101212.JPG
P10101221.JPG
P10101241.JPG

As you can see, after trimming off all the bud leaf tips, there wasn't a heck of a lot of purple left to see. You can still tell this is Ken's GDP by the smell and the overall appearance, but the last week of high heat and warm nights stopped the purple pigment production and allowed the trichomes to get ahead of the color change.

P10101251.JPG

Based on this, I am going to hold off harvesting any more of this plant for at least 3-4 days and let the below normal lows of an approaching low pressure storm system work its magic on all the remaining GDP.

This bud is still going to be the usual kick-ass quality of the genuine GDP strain, but without the usual dark purple hue I am used to seeing at week 8.5.

Based on this evening's trichome checks, I am expecting to harvest another M.O.N. clone or perhaps one of the three Blue Cheese plants around Sunday or Monday morning.

I most likely will not attempt another GDP harvest until this time next week. If the cold weather holds out that long, we should be seeing some really dark purple buds on those plants by then! :thumb:

Stay tuned and thanks for watching! :)

GDP Seed Project Final
Impressive yield with over 1/4 cup of seeds!

P10101303.JPG

How many do you think we have here?
I don't have the patience to actually count them! ;)

P10101322.JPG

Still have a little cleaning to do, but I plan to just cherry pick the largest and best looking seeds whenever I decide to plant some of these. In the closeups you can still see some resin and the outer coating on a few of the seeds.

P10101333.JPG
P10101343.JPG
P10101365.JPG
P10101352.JPG

I will be storing these in our front drying closet in this large pill bottle...

P10101373.JPG

So... That concludes my GDP/Purple Rhino seed project!

I am more than pleased with the final results. The only thing left to determine is whether or not a GDP/Purple Rhino cross is a quality strain. For that, we will have to wait until at least next year.

Hope you enjoyed this little experiment!

Cheers. :)

Back
Top Bottom