Breed, Kill or Wait? Training my eye

Bombie

420 Member
I've been reading how pot breeders do a lot of culling the first few weeks, before true leaves even. And I think, "Yes, maybe if you are DJ Short", but perhaps I wrong? My eyes certainly can't see it, but maybe with some training up?

Imagine you are going for new very strong on the pine strain. You have 200 seedlings that you need to reduce to 25 to grow out. The earlier you cull, the better for the survivors and you need the space! I picked three pictures of plants from old grow journals that I knew went on to produce fine weed, so it isn't about that. When you look at these three with your Breeder's hat on, what are you looking for and what do you see? And what would you do?

pot breeders- breed,kill, wait.jpg

All depends on what traits I am looking for. Too early to judge on smell, so that leaves colour, growth rate and whether I am looking for sativa or Indica traits. Of the above 3, given the same age +/- 24 hrs, I would go with ‘a’ due to colouring and form.

This thread has been moved to Frequently Asked Questions.

We work hard to make 420 Magazine as navigable as possible for members and guests so that information can be easily found. We also want to ensure that your own thread receives the most appropriate responses, views or support.

:Namaste:

I've never worked at a pot breeding operation, but I have a rose breeding one. Experimental breeding stock does not get the same care and attention as the 3 babies you have in your tent that you spritz 4 times a day. You can't dial in a process at this stage. It's perfectly fine that all three plants are at a different level of health and watering. 2 were probably closer to the sprinklers or were planted by different staff or ... I suppose I could be so sure in my whole generic process that any plant that doesn't thrive right away get's chopped, but that seem limiting.

I would wait on all of them. A is the healthiest, but nothing that a little individualized TLC won't heal. I don't *see* any reason to chop any of them, but this is already ~a week past when experienced breeder's say the cull their stock.

This thread has been moved to Frequently Asked Questions.

We work hard to make 420 Magazine as navigable as possible for members and guests so that information can be easily found. We also want to ensure that your own thread receives the most appropriate responses, views or support.

:Namaste:
As a new person, I know I don't grok the whole flow of the site yet. But I made that graphic myself, and this is a unique question that I wanted to hear from experienced pot breeders. And while "which plant is healthiest" might be a frequent topic, how to train your eyes to cull earlier is not. I don't think your more experienced breeder's read FAQ to answer questions from newbies, but I could be wrong. Where would you post something like this where experienced breeder's might see it and answer?

As a new person, I know I don't grok the whole flow of the site yet. But I made that graphic myself, and this is a unique question that I wanted to hear from experienced pot breeders. And while "which plant is healthiest" might be a frequent topic, how to train your eyes to cull earlier is not. I don't think your more experienced breeder's read FAQ to answer questions from newbies, but I could be wrong. Where would you post something like this where experienced breeder's might see it and answer?
i am here a while and still post wrong lol :welcome: to :420:

This is as good a place as any @Bombie. Those members who wish to share their knowledge and skills, will often browse the FAQ and New Posts. You will get noticed here.

And really, to help you, we need to know “what” traits you are looking for. Breeders rarely pop a mess of random seed and start culling in the first few weeks because without previous experience with a strain (multiple generations) the only thing you can judge at this stage (without expensive research equipment) is the vigour and colouring of the plant.

Otherwise, you veg them making mothers/fathers and take cuttings which you then grow out to see what traits dominate, and do your culling at that point.

Back
Top Bottom