Breeding basics

I know one question that's been bounced around a bit and that's self pollination from a female turned male intentionally. I have a mother plant of Gg4 going right now and it's almost ready to take clones. When I do, I'll flip the light schedule and begin using a colloidal silver to force her male. After I collect the pollen I'll use it to spread all over one of the clones when it's first pistols appear after flipping it.

In my case I'm just trying to preserve the gg4 genetics as Ive only got 1 more seed left and the breeder is unknown.

Is there any real issue with doing this?

I know one question that's been bounced around a bit and that's self pollination from a female turned male intentionally. I have a mother plant of Gg4 going right now and it's almost ready to take clones. When I do, I'll flip the light schedule and begin using a colloidal silver to force her male. After I collect the pollen I'll use it to spread all over one of the clones when it's first pistols appear after flipping it.

In my case I'm just trying to preserve the gg4 genetics as Ive only got 1 more seed left and the breeder is unknown.

Is there any real issue with doing this?
Nope none whatsoever my friend. I intend to do this with some of my fem seeds that i wanna build a stash of aswell. Nice one @vyserage

Nope none whatsoever my friend. I intend to do this with some of my fem seeds that i wanna build a stash of aswell. Nice one @vyserage
Awesome TYVM! Now that won't stress me when it comes time haha.

Ok so i got another quick question. What are peoples thoughts on open pollination?, when would be a good time to do this (ie. When first letting plants get busy or let ya males n fems of the strain youv already bred get it on) or if you're better off just doing everything in a controlled manner?

Open pollination is using all of your males to pollinate all of your females. This is done to preserve genetic integrity. I would want to do this in a single tent with a good carbon scrubber. Once you’re done cull the males and spray everything in that tent with water to kill stray pollen. If you’re just using 1 male and 1 female then isolate the male and collect pollen then selectively pollinate the female with a small paint brush or Q-tip.

Open pollination is using all of your males to pollinate all of your females. This is done to preserve genetic integrity. I would want to do this in a single tent with a good carbon scrubber. Once you’re done cull the males and spray everything in that tent with water to kill stray pollen. If you’re just using 1 male and 1 female then isolate the male and collect pollen then selectively pollinate the female with a small paint brush or Q-tip.
Yer see i thought there was an actual reason to open pollination. what exactly do you mean by preserve genetic integrity?

Plants possess thousands of genes that don’t express themselves in every generation. For preservation you want as many of those genes in the gene pool as possible.

Plants possess thousands of genes that don’t express themselves in every generation. For preservation you want as many of those genes in the gene pool as possible.
Ahhhhh ok i see. So thats when you kinda wanna have all the phenos present again so they arent all inbred?

Chromosomes come in pairs. Females give XX males give XY. Breeding with actual males gives you more options, (you can change the Y portion of the equation. With only females and female pollen whatever "Y" you have is harder to change.

Chromosomes come in pairs. Females give XX males give XY. Breeding with actual males gives you more options, (you can change the Y portion of the equation. With only females and female pollen whatever "Y" you have is harder to change.
ok sweet well thats good to know cos im gonna be starting with reg pollen then ill get round to my fem seeds and reverse those then mix what I like with my reg genetics.
That and you never know when that 1 pheno will pop up that checks all the boxes.
ok sweet got ya P!

Question, i dont want to bother with collecting the pollen but instead want to just move a plant into the same tent as the female forced male starts dropping pollen. Whats a good amount of time setback for the 2nd plant?

*Start flowering/spraying a clone of mother plant.
*1 week later, place 2nd clone plant into seperate flowering tent.
*Day 21 (hopefully pollen starts popping) move the 2nd clone plant into same tent as 1st clone plant and just turn a fan on to move pollen around? I'll probablly also just shake it all over the 2nd plant.

Okay that sounds good, ill go with that :D

Final question, do you think it would be better to use another new seed for the 2nd plant instead of a clone? If i use the same mother plant for both pollen and fertilizing the 2nd clone, its the same female genetics but if i use my last seed and pollinate that one with the 1st plant/clone, id be opening the genetics up a bit for variations in those seeds correct? So then i could try to find the best seed that performs better than the mother originally did, etc.

Yes if you want phenos to choose from use a seed plant.
Thanks penny, as always you're a great help to these forums and we all appreciate it :D

Back
Top Bottom