Bud is going too crisp when drying

markohay

so i have grown many of times , every single time i dry my weed i hang it on string in my closet where i grow my weed where there is little light and this is also at my extractor so it is taking the moisture out and it can be dry in 4 days , but my problem is i never get the spungy bud its always crisp n breaks in your hand , its always good shit , its just i want nice fat spongy nugs

Re: bud is going to crisp when drying

yes you got that bang on , thanks i will turn the light off and the fan speed down see how i get on , this has been drying it in 4 days so how long will this new way take

yes you got that bang on , thanks i will turn the light off and the fan speed down see how i get on , this has been drying it in 4 days so how long will this new way take

Longer. I cant give you an exact time. It depends on a number of things: relative humidity, temp, bud size, etc...

Do you put it in mason jars after hanging it to dry, and let the bud cure in the jars for 2-3 weeks? If not, then that is why your weed is crispy. Dry it first, then cure it to allow the little bit of moisture in the stem to bleed back into the bud, giving it a uniform RH and that stanky spongee goodness.

Do you put it in mason jars after hanging it to dry, and let the bud cure in the jars for 2-3 weeks? If not, then that is why your weed is crispy. Dry it first, then cure it to allow the little bit of moisture in the stem to bleed back into the bud, giving it a uniform RH and that stanky spongee goodness.

if you get it to dry,, put a baby carrot in with it for a day, or two,,,

Take a Plastic zip lock baggie... poke holes all over.. place a damp paper toel in the baggie....put it in your jar or whatever you use to store your buds for a couple of days and you should be good to go. :peacetwo:

I use big fresh fan leaves from the garden to add moisture back into the jars if needed.

Prairie

I am going to have to try that.. thanks for reply. :peace:

I've reposted a "BlueDog" post in the Water Cure - Members Thread listed below. It gives RH values for the stages of drying and curing. Investing in a small hygrometer takes a lot of the guess work out of getting the best cure on your buds. The RH numbers are for air dry and cure, but I plan to store my water cure at 55-60% RH for optimum moisture content. Hope this helps.

I agree that u may be drying too fast. Has happened to me too so thought I'd share my remedy... after putting buds in mason jars put about an inch slice of apple wrapped in a piece of paper towel in each jar, seal em up tight & check the next day. Keep checkin' once a day till moisture is restored & u get that spongy feel your lookin' for. Take apple slices out, reseal jars and tadaaa!! Also gives off just a hint of sweetness :yummy:

Be sure u don't over moistureize or u may have to redry again or worse, end up with a mold problem. Common sense is the key. Good luck! ~Ginny

dstruktvbayc said:
I thought i read somewhere that if you over dry your weed you have ruined the curing process and you can't add moisture to start the cure any truth to that?:roorrip:

Nah. Most of the time only the outside surface of the bud is brittle. If you put them into a mason jar and leave it closed for 24 to 36 hours, most likely the bud will rehydrate and feel moist again.

I've always felt that the old adage about waiting for the bud's stem to snap is BAD ADVICE! If you wait that long the bud is almost always way too dried out. If you do go too far over the line, just put one or two freshly picked fan leaves in the jar with the buds overnight.

When I'm drying a new harvest, I wait till the outside starts feeling slightly crispy and then move them into jars but leave the jars open for a few more days, rotating the contents around every few hours. Then start closing the lids but air them out for 15-20 minutes a few times per day for about a week. Then eventually only a few times a week until fully cured.

I usually cure my harvests for four weeks before I do a test smoke or vape. The longer the cure the better the bud! :thumb:

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

I usually dry till the very outside of the bud is a lil crispy usually 5-7 days then into paper bags for a about three days then into jars for the final cure been working for me the timeline before the paper bags I dependent on my RH usually ready for jars in about 12 days

I usually get mine into jars by day 5 or 6 as soon as the drying is complete. I always end up with perfectly cured bud with the moisture content of a fine cigar stored in a quality humidor.

Once I have cured the buds for 2 to 4 weeks depending on moisture content, I transfer them into "OXO Sure Grip" storage containers and include a Humidipak 72% RH packet to keep them at the perfect moisture level indefinitely. I've got bud here that is well over a year old (19 months) and still just as fresh as the first day I put it into one of these final storage containers, but SO MUCH BETTER TASTING! Finely aged bud is something most smokers never have the patience to wait for, but MAN is it worth the wait!. :thumb:

p1011741.JPG
P1011747.JPG

P1011862.JPG

I usually get mine into jars by day 5 or 6 as soon as the drying is complete. I always end up with perfectly cured bud with the moisture content of a fine cigar stored in a quality humidor.

Once I have cured the buds for 2 to 4 weeks depending on moisture content, I transfer them into "OXO Sure Grip" storage containers and include a Humidipak 72% RH packet to keep them at the perfect moisture level indefinitely. I've got bud here that is well over a year old (19 months) and still just as fresh as the first day I put it into one of these final storage containers, but SO MUCH BETTER TASTING! Finely aged bud is something most smokers never have the patience to wait for, but MAN is it worth the wait!. :thumb:

p1011741.JPG
P1011747.JPG

P1011862.JPG
Very nice looking Kush my friend:welldone: 19 months and still fresh is pretty good man I wish I get about 6 months with a well sealed container where do you get those humidipaks?

Very nice looking Kush my friend:welldone: 19 months and still fresh is pretty good man I wish I get about 6 months with a well sealed container where do you get those humidipaks?

Thanks Man! :thanks:

I ended up with just under 5 ounces of fat/dense dried bud from each of the two plants I harvested last month! This was my first experience growing Blueberry Kush and MAN is it a good producer! I highly recommend that strain if you can track down some clones. My strain is clone only, but I have seen seeds offered on the web recently too. :thumb:

I entered one of those BBK plants into this month's Plant of the Month Contest. My photos are on page one, a few posts down.

I get my Humidipaks from a local Tobbaconist that sells them for cigar and pipe smokers. Little does he know how great they are for storing Bud too! In fact, probably half of his sales are for that purpose! LOL! :laughtwo:

I would do a search on Google and see what you come up with.

Or you can go to their WebSite for more info on the product. Still a well kept secret in the 420 world right now, but I expect that over time, more and more folks will start realizing how good these little gems are for preserving our precious herb! :)

Back
Top Bottom