2in1 Arctic Grow Journal - Butterfinger and Some Imported Seeds

BlueberyBlaze

First id like to start with a little electric sliiiiiide :slide::slide::slide::slide::slide:

Alright now that i got that out of my system, lets get you guys up to speed. Relax and take notes while i take tokes and tell you a story. I got my first grow about a week into flowering and a second grow that are just sprouting out of the ground. I'm in the heart of minnesota in a house that can't stay above 60 degrees so thats why i call it my arctic grow. Most of the grow was done at about 50-55 degrees during the day. My grow is done with a 2 foot t5 fluorescent light with 2 24 watt bulbs, and some 24 watt CFLs in portable sockets. Photos taken from a cell phone camera (if only i had some high tech, real time, high def... maybe some day). Using miracle grow potting mix and bonide 10-10-10 liquid plant food.
I'm growing seeds that i acquired from a few different bags. I have 2 plants going from seeds out of my friends homegrown buds. He didn't have a name for them but it was a crop of about 5 plants that he left the males in and the seeds i got are from the females (which that bud despite the seeds actually smoked pretty good) Then i have 1 plant going that is from a bag with a few seeds in it that my brother brought back from his trip to vegas. He found some buds on the strip and brought a sack back with him that i pulled a couple seeds out of. So the story so far:

It all started with a bag of seeds and a dream. I had a light that a friend gave me a few months back and i decided it was time to use it. So i got online looking for growing guides and actually was lead to this site in the process. I came across smokeys guide that im sure 90% of the people on here know of, and it really is everything you need to know.
How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know
I sat there reading for hours on end, starting with germination. I read about dropping seeds in a cup of water to germinate and i thought there was no way that it'd work. So i dropped a couple seeds in some water and watched them float for a few days. During that time however, my grow box came to be. 2 cardboard boxes with the tops cut off and duct taped together, and a 2 foot t5 light sticking out of the sides of my foot and a half box. Lined it with tin foil, dull side facing the plants ;) I had a fan i got out of a really old desktop computer we had laying around and rigged the wires to a wall adapter. So after the failed germination attempted i figured i'd go with what i know, the paper towel method. So i soaked a paper towel, rung it out and dropped my seeds on. I left them in a sandwich bag on top of my grow box under a black sheet so it would take the heat from the light in the box and it was still completely dark for the seeds. On day 2 i noticed the seeds opening up and in about a week i had 2/4 seeds germinated and in the soil. 4 of the longest days of my life later, i had created life (such a proud father):
Photo01101622.jpg

I started the vegas seeds germinating when i planted the first ones, so about 5 days after the first set. I planted them when the first 2 were just sprouting and left my light on 24 hours until the second 2 came out of the ground before switching to 16/8 light. The first 2 i think got a little stretched while waiting for the other ones which ill come back to later. Now to date i don't remember what happened to one of my plants, but i remember one of the vegas buds died and i pulled it out. But for the others things were going well, i was taking pictures all the time and putting it as my phone background when id plug my lights in everyday. I had a power strip that i plugged my lights into every day and my fan every time i went into my room to smoke i'd let the fan run for a few mins. So about a week after they were out of the ground i transplanted them to the only pot i had at the time. If you haven't caught on yet this is a horribly underfunded grow but i got a job coming up here, one more electric slide for money :slide::slide::slide: alright. However i was working overnights and it was throwing my schedule way off. I was either at work or sleeping, waking up to flip the lights and falling back asleep. So in the process of transplanting, one of my plants ate it hard on the ground. The one on the left in the green pot is shorter cause i had to bury it deeper to support the broken stem. We're talkin 90 degree bent, didn't think it was gunna make it, cant believe i let it fall kind of trauma to the poor little guy.
Photo01260928.jpg

So i left them to grow in my one small pot on my hot pocket box in my cardboard n duct tape box, hoping for the best. However i became employed around this time :cheer: notice my high tech little thermometer in the middle, complete with humidity and everything. Which then showed me how horribly dry it was in my box. It sat at 20% (the lowest it goes) and never moved. So i found another thermometer with a humidity tester and that one sat at 16% (that ones minimum) Winter in minnesota, cold and dry, so i was getting 65-80 degrees during the day, depending on when i ran the fan and so on. And about 40-50 during the nights since its so cold here, and 16% humidity all the time. Apparently my first thermometer wasn't broken. I started nutes 2 weeks in with 1/4 strength gradually getting stronger every time i watered them. As the plants grew, so did their soil needs, so i bought bigger planters. To my surprise the plant that got dropped on its head as a baby was still alive and kickin, so i upgraded it to a bigger (what i believe is 1 gallon) white pot hoping to give it room to regrow, along with the one survivor of my second set of seeds. In separating the two in the green pot though i had to do some deep root brain surgery. They started growing together toward the bottom and it got a little dicey cutting them apart. But after transplanting them and watering them:
Photo01290912.jpg

So later in the week i left town and put my friend in change of turning the lights on and off for me while i was gone. I set up my fan to blow all the time but at a weaker strength by blocking it off partially. Got a consistent temp of 55-60 degress. The first couple nights he blew it cause he forgot and turned them on way late and got the schedule all messed up for a few days, bad babysitter. But a week later i came running back into my house to see my crop. I saw the humidity change for the first time and to date this is still my favorite picture
Photo02111025.jpg
This is the second seed set survivor, all short and bushy. This is still my prize pig of the grow, getting special treatment from here on out.

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/Photo02111026.jpg[/img

So i got 3 little beasts growing in a box thats running out of room for them to grow. So i took it upon myself to build them a new home. I started with the plywood that my friend had left over from a different project. I located more plywood and started my constructing. I only have 16" between my bed and the wall and thats where i have to fit my box (i have a 7'x9' room, its ridiculous) So i figured id make the other sides as big as i could and it came to 4'x4'. Cut out all the pieces, screwed it all together and lined it with a box of tin foil (dull side facing the plants still hehe) I finally got a timer that my dad had left over from his fish tank. I don't remember what bullcrap excuse i pulled out to get that from him but it had to be good. But my boys are livin good now
[img]https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/Photo02251905.jpg
Photo02121625.jpg

Now i just look like i have an oversided headboard
Photo02251906.jpg

From left to right, i haven't moved the one out of the green pot yet, the middle one is my damaged plant thats made a great come back and has been looking great. But the road gets rocky ahead and i didn't think about it at the time but this one was my tallest my whole grow. Put a pin in that, we'll come back. The one on the far right is my cream of the crop. I had a CFL dedicated to that plant and shooting down the bottoms of the others until i started a new crop. Unfortunately though, this is where the chilly temps come into play, 50-60 with the lights on. Its a big box so its hard to heat, plus my fans running all the time now to make sure it stays cool since i'm not watching it as much and to clear the air out as the plants get bigger. Although this is where i actually get some humidity in the box. It got up to being 30-50% at any random time. So some time went by where i wasn't taking pictures and the timer's been doing the work for me now. I was just sittin back and watchin the plants grow. But i ran into a snag in the plan when i went out of town for the weekend and was gone for a week instead from the ridiculous snowfall we've been getting up north. When i finally got back home, i came in to find my tallest one grew into the light. And by grew into the light i dont mean it was pretty close and burning up. I mean it was up in that sucker growing around it and just toasty. So i came to the conclusion that now was the time to experiment with topping a plant. I clipped off the burnt sections and accepted defeat. This was toward the end of my veggie stage, i let them go long enough to see that plant split off to make 2 tops before i switched it to 12/12 light. This is the last picture i took of them still vegetative
Photo02220435.jpg

So you know what that meants right? Time to start flowering these bad boys. Things are looking swell, the plant i topped was splitting up and growing like a champ. My prize plant has a nice core of leaves going and the other plant has the nicest looking leaves of the bunch, but they did stretch out alot. I think the height of the first 2 seeds i planted are from the extra light they got waiting for the others to catch up. Not to mention i'm sure the small pot with roots coming out the bottom are helping it look so thin. So heres where we're at today, 1 week into flowering. Lets get these criminals in a lineup. Ma'am, were these your kidnappers:
Photo02250405.jpg

This is where the plot thickens. We're one week in and my middle plant is now growing little nut cloisters where my buds should be. I tried watering it, i tried yelling at it, it just wont grow pistils. So now i'm threatening it hehe, i guess i'm going to have to cut him down early and give him a proper burial. I'm trying to wait and see if the other ones are coming out female, haven't seen much yet so i cant tell. But i suppose that also explains the extra height through its growth, it was stretched but its still taller than its brother on the left. I always thought it was the smaller pot holding it back and the other one started a bit later so that one was getting the edge to make up for the damage. But i suppose now i can use the pot its in to replace the crappy green one.
Photo02250408.jpg

Name: Ed "To Tall" Jones
Type: Presumably Indica
Crime: Conspiracy to commit rape
Punishment: Death by hanging
Side Notes: Confined in a small pot with another plant, roots cut up and head trauma during transplant, light and temperature stress, burned resulting in an amputation.

My plant on the right has some drooping in the leaf tips from just flushing it out. I did when i started budding to clear out the nutrients in the soil and i think i'm going to do a half strength formula to keep nutes in it but lightly and i want to flush it again in a couple weeks and run the rest of the way off straight water. But for now its nice and dense, it has a good set of leaves growing just off the main stem, its always had nice looking leaves on it.
Photo02250406.jpg

Name: High Treason
Type: Indica
Crime: Treason
Punishment: Stoning
Side Notes: My prize piggy, planted a week later than the other two and lost his brother when they were young. Left to grow in a cup longer than the others since i only had the one pot. Filled out into a nice plant that i've been watching closely, gave it a dedicated light and plan to through budding aswell

Last my plant on the left, an odd looking plant. Lenky looking and its leaves are stretched way out from the plant. It has amazing fan leaves, they very fat and giant. From there it only has small leaves developing on the core of the stem. Overall it looks healthy buy just strange looking.
Photo02250408_1.jpg

Name: The One Foot Wonder, One Love (In honor of Mr. Marley)
Type: Presumably Female
Crime: I see no crime here
Punishment: Executed and burned
Side Notes: Once expected to be the cream of the crop. Forced on the back burner to a wounded brother and the up and coming star of our show. He worked well with what he got.

Thus concludes our story of epic adventure and suspense. 3 plants that started in a cardboard box, now livin high times on the upper east side. From here on ill probably take that male out and put one love in his pot for some extra room. Going 1/2 strength at best on the nutes until i flush them and go straight water until the end. All thats left is watchin the buds grow. But back on the crappy side of town, Butterfinger and his gang of misfits are waiting, plotting, getting stronger as the days go on. I'm not entirely sure what the other seeds are, he said Northern Lights but i think he was full of it.
Photo02251826.jpg

And i dont know if you can see it in this photo but theres another little set of leaves sprouting out in the back of the cup and its already bigger than my plant hehe. But this is my plants that just started growing in my old cardboard box with my CFLs in it. Got 4 seeds in, 3 have sprouted and i started going with 16/8 lighting. Hope you guys liked my tale as much as i enjoyed living it. I'm 100% open to advice and criticism hehe. Any questions, lemme know.:peacetwo:

To be continued...

Wow man, I was :drool: at some of the stuff up there. But, nice budget grow! Take down the tin foil immediately, it creates hot spots of intense light that will burn the plants, go instead with mylar or white poly, there is a cheap source of mylar in fire blankets from walmart =) Another cheap option would be to paint the inside white to help reflect, but you have the right idea. Good thing you got a timer too, sometimes you just can't be there to turn the lights off and that item is a must have I would say. The plants are looking healthy, with the exception of the drooping one, that could be overwatering(from the flush) or a over fertilization so just be careful and vigilant of its progress. The way your plants look they want some more light, but what you have certainly works.. just be aware that more light or more intense light will penetrate further down the stem, increase bud site swelling and all that , and create more compact buds. Well man good luck and Im in for the ride :popcorn: This journal is a great place to post for help and to show off picture of your grow show.
Peace man

P.s. a soil meter is also a good idea, they are super cheap and tell you ph, light, and moisture reading for soil.

I'm planning on letting that one dry out alot more before i water it again. I might just skip putting nutes in and go straight water if i wait long enough for it to dry out. But i know its from overwatering it, now that i got a feeling for how a dry pot feels i know i was doing it to early before. I threw out my male plant last night so i have just 2 in the box. I need to go buy some more dirt to transplant my other plant to its pot. Also need to get a few more CFL's and if i can find another socket for another light id love more. Some day this week i'm going out and picking some stuff up. Where do i find a soil meter, doesn't sound like a bad idea hehe. Oh and for the tin foil, i heard the shiny side is what creates the hot spots, so putting it dull side facing the plants is the way to go. It doesn't reflect nearly as well as other things and i have thought of getting the blankets from walmart. This is from smokeys guide, little section in reflectivity:
Can I use foil to reflect light?
But i definitely hear ya on finding something better, i could be getting alot more out of that light and if i go buy more bulbs from walmart ill probably buy some blankets while i'm there hehe. And as for the new plants, 3 are out of the ground looking awesome and one i had to dig out to see what happened. I think it got stuck under a stick in the soil and trapped in the ground. So i hardly covered if back up and hope to see it get out of the ground in the next couple days but we'll see how that plays out

Hell yeah smokeys a great dude, he uses cfl and other not so expensive stuff and gets great looking plants, thats cool about the foil, I had been warned before so thats why I said something, but if it aint broke... you know.

I think they are called rapi-test meters, you can find em at lowes, walmart etc. also on ebay. I have them for my vegetable garden in organic soil, but you can use the light meter that comes on the three-in-one anywhere, its a little sensor on the top of the device usually.

Smokey was the one to mention on one of his journals that he found a large mylar fire blanket in the camping section for like under 4$ and its fairly big, but I've never seen it, just kept it in the back of my mind.

I don't think I read in your journal how many of the bulbs you had, i dont even know what is a correct amount, but you said one of the plants looked strange and i thought it just might need more light.

Once again good luck, pretty soon you'll be smoking your own!
Oh yeah i hope you didn't think i was laughing at your grow, i was talking about the crime and punishment jokes, i was cracking up at those.
:peace:

Good point about the lights, i got my t5 in there and another 24w CFL over my sprouts. Then i got 2 more sockets for lights but i need to get the bulbs and ill dedicate one on either side of the plants to get the lower canopy.
I got the name High Treason from my friend, he said to me when i planted him "you know thats treason right?" i said what? and he said "cause it'll get ya stoned" I had a good laugh and kept the name. I think in my next grow i wanna try LST on one of them too. Might even look into hydro growing if i get enough time to read up.

>>> Grower's Update <<<
Photo03011702.jpg

Let's start off with the Butterfinger and friends. First i got the little one in front here so you can even see him. I had to do some open plant surgery and dig him out of the ground. I got a little concerned when all the others sprouted out and a week later one still didn't pop up. So i decided to investigate and got out my tweezers and move dirt little by little until i seen the little sprout trapped under a small piece of wood in the soil. So i moved the log jam and lightly covered it again and got him back on track. It took some noticeable damage but i'm determined to save the little guy.
Photo03160722.jpg

So here's an up to date photo, notice the first leaf set is very round, on the other side it actually has a split down the middle, rather strange looking if you ask me hehe. For obvious reasons its a little shorter than the others, but besides that it seems to be going alright. However i'm now taking bets, 8:1 odds its a female :(
Photo03160729.jpg

The whole crew picture taken about an hour ago. Front left is the butterfinger, put a pin in that we'll come back to it. The other 3 are the supposed "Northern Lights". The back left plant seems to be growing taller than the others which makes me venture the guess that it might be a sativa. However it also has the fattest leaves on it so i'm not entirely sure. But its second leaf set is 5 leaves and its sprouting a small set of 7 so i suppose right now thats my healthiest plant. The back right thats supposed to be the same seed is also on its 3rd leaf set growing 1-5-7 leaves per set but not as tall as its brother.
Photo03160718.jpg

This is the Butterfinger plant, although easily noticeable is the drooping on the second leaf set. I left them in the care of my friend for the weekend and i came home with him looking like this. Theres also some burning on the 3 that sprouted normally, but this one is the only one to really curl under itself like this. It looks like over watering but i only watered it once since planting them and if i remember right the soil was getting pretty dry when i first noticed it. Might have been a delayed reaction but my guess is that it got to hot in the box while i was gone, burned them a bit and this one was drying out to fast so it curled. The first leaf set also has a mild curl but not as defined, and it seems to be folding more from the sides of the leaf than the tip like my first plants did when i over watered them. The tip curled as well but it just seems like a little different kind than before to me.
Photo03160721_1.jpg

This is my tallest one, sorry for the crappy resolution but if you look at the edges on the leaf you can see its a little orange. Most are only the tips but this leaf got it the worst. So i'm pretty sure he screwed up turning my light off while i was gone and wont tell me or it just got too hot and the plants suffered for it.

On to the bad news, The One Foot Wonder has been trashed. He grew nuts on me so i had to take him out of the box.
Photo03100450.jpg

Thats the pic i took right before i chopped him up. So i'm left with just one plant growing all to her lonesome. Oh wait, did someones say "her"

Photo03160727.jpg

My pride and joy High Treason lives on, and the legend of the other 2 lives on in spirit with her through the grow. Budding beautifully, theres no joy like seeing your first born grow into an attractive young woman. Up to date:
Photo03160725.jpg

Got a second light on the side, a 24 watt CFL shining on the lower buds. I'm about a month into budding, took 2-3 weeks to show her hairs but it was a great day indeed.
Photo03100501.jpg
This pic's a little older, its actually about as tall as the ruler now so almost 3 feet tall. I'm starting to run out of box actually and i'm trying to figure a plan here but that makes me feel that much better about her :thumb:

I'm considering LSTing one of my newer plants, i'll probably use the damaged one for experimentation. And since that one plant is growing so tall i might try topping that one and see how it plays out. Until next time, toke till you choke. I've been smoking grinder dust and rezzy the last couple days myself, hard times. I feel like this whole towns dried up right now but things should pick up pretty quick here hehe

Hi BlueberyBlaze

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Well my computer and my phone don't get along well. So i cant take pictures from my phone to my computer. For a while there i was using my friends computer but i moved and dont have a computer that can post pics. But i should be getting some pictures on a flash drive to put on my computer soon here so i should have an update soon ^.^ High Treasons almost done budding, and i got a whole story to tell on the other batch of plants.

Back
Top Bottom