Bugs

Will it hurt my crop????

Not if you use it according to instructions. Hit them once, wait a day or two and then hit them again. Wait a week and give them one more spray. I use neem prior to ever seeing a bug, and I don't see any after. But, I'm growing in cold climates and that helps keep them at bay, or they are less active right now. I'm no bug expert. But, neem used before you have a problem is ideal. Once you got the problem you're fighting a winnable, but uphill battle. Good luck! :)

Hmmm... Sounds like aphids. Can you take some pics and upload them? Ladybugs help to take care of aphids as well as some sprays. (Tomato leaf spray and garlic oil spray) Not sure if neem oil works for aphids or not. Like I said, upload photos and we can better tell what you've got.

Hardly anything works for aphids, a bug immune to many organic methods, but the best is rosemary oil. Try that.

Aphids you indoor? Interesting if so.Yellowing and distorted leaves, stunted growth and an unsightly black sticky substance on the plant may mean that you have aphids. Aphids feed on a wide range of plants, and in severe cases the plant fails to thrive. As they feed, they secrete a sticky substance, called honeydew, which quickly becomes infested with black sooty mold. They also spread viruses, many of which are incurable. For this reason, it’s important to take steps for controlling aphids in the garden.
Killing aphids naturally is not only better for the environment, but it is also a more effective way of killing the insect. Aphids don’t respond well to insecticides, but you can get them under control by taking advantage of their weaknesses and making a few changes in the way you manage your garden.

Aphids have a number of natural enemies, and these insects are much better at controlling aphids than any other method available to gardeners. Pampering and nurturing their natural enemies is an excellent method of organic aphid control. Introduce beneficial bugs, like lacewings and ladybugs, to your garden as a natural way to kill aphids. Nearby plantings of mint, fennel, dill, yarrow, and dandelions will help attract these insects to your garden.

Pesticides are more likely to kill the predatory insects than the aphids, so the insect population usually increases after spraying. Using natural ways to kill aphids preserves the insect’s natural enemies while creating a hostile environment for aphids.Killing aphids naturally is better for your plants, the environment and beneficial bugs in your garden. Here are some natural deterrents for controlling aphids.

Grow young plants under row covers. Remember to remove the covers when the plants begin to flower.

Use aluminum foil or reflective mulch on the ground beneath the plants. While you may not want to do this in your flower garden, reflective mulch in the vegetable garden is a very effective deterrent.

A strong spray of water from a hose will knock many of the aphids off the plant, and they won’t be able to return. It also rinses off some of the honeydew. Spray the plant every day until the plant is aphid free.

Grow plants for a homemade aphid control. Plants such as the following are attractive to aphids and good for organic aphid control. Growing these far from other garden plants will lure aphids away and keep the garden aphid-free.

Hope that helps.

The best predator for aphids is Aphidoletes. Produced by insectaries all over the world.
Some producers have a hanging vial that you just clip onto the stems and they release the adults over a few days. Then the next week you have these little red larvae moving around the plant eating aphids. The next week the aphids are gone.
And I agree a good water blast goes a long way at thwarting an aphid population. Their delicate sucking tubes can get broken off and prevent them from feeding again.
Buying ladybugs is actually bad for the environment as well, because the ladybugs that you can buy in North America are actually wild collected in their overwintering sites in mountains in California. They’ often carry parasites and diseases, which can destroy the native population of ladybugs where you release. They also try to fly back to California, so unless you’re trapping them in with some netting, they’re ultimately a waste of money. Beetles also leave an aphid problem before it is erradicated so there is food available for their offspring. This is why I recommend Aphidoletes, which stick around, is produced by insectaries, and erradicated aphid infestations.

Good info,, but this thread is three years old friend,, ha

Back
Top Bottom