Butternuts Hydro 600W HID DNA Holy Grail Kush & Blimburn Grand Daddy Purple - 2016

Butternuts

What strain is it?

DNA's Holy Grail Kush and Blimburn's Grand Daddy Purple. Both from Feminized seed from Attitude Seedbank.

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?

80/20 and 90/10 Indica dominant respectively.

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?

Seeds sprouted around 6/20/16.

If in Veg... For how long?

19 days old.

Indoor or outdoor?

Indoor. Basement Grow tent.

Soil or Hydro?

General Hydroponics Power Grower, 5 gallon recirculating drip system.

Size of light?

300w Induction light from Brotherhood for veg, 600w MH/HPS for flower.

Is it aircooled?

Induction light is not, 600w HID is in a Blockbuster 6" air cooled with a 420cfm inline duct fan.

Temp of Room/cab?

70-85 F, reservoir 65-69 F

RH of Room/cab?

50-70%

PH of media or res?

5.8-6.0

Any Pests ?

None

How often are you watering?

Drip emitters set for 30 min on and 60 min off.

Type and strength of ferts used?

Advanced Nutrients Micro, Grow, Bloom for my base.
AN B-52
AN Sensizym
AN Big Bud
AN Sensi Cal (Cal Mag)
AN Overdrive
AN Nirvana
AN Rhino Skin
AN Bud Candy
Botanicare Hydroguard
GH Rapid Start

All nutrients are being used at 1/2 strength except the Hydroguard at full manufacturer recommendations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello All,

First time poster, long time lurker. Since I've gleaned so much information from the various grow journals across the internet, I decided to fire up a journal in hopes of helping out anyone looking to grow this amazing plant. I grow for my wife and myself. She has fibromyalgia and I have a bad back. She's also pretty sensitive to paranoia and anxiety that some of the stronger sativa's can bring but she seems to love the Indica heavy strains I've been getting from my local dispensary. That's why I selected HGK and GDP.

This is my 2nd grow. First grow was Super Lemon Haze in a very similar configuration. I didn't use all the nutes listed below in my first run. I just used the Rapid start, Hydroguard, AN 3 part, AN Big Bud, and AN Bud Candy. I got 16.8 oz's on my first run, with the help of my uncle (who got me started growing and provided the 2 SLH clones at about 3 weeks old) and the various internet sites dedicated to cannabis growing, especially the Grow Weed Easy people. Nebula and her crew have done an amazing job with their site and I can't say enough good things about them.

My plan is to Veg for approximately 2 months before the flip to 12/12. There's nothing too flashy about my grow, it's rather pedestrian and mundane but I also think it's a solid setup. It's perfect for me and my wife :smokin:

I'm using a 4x4x6.5 Apollo Grow Tent.
Ballast Apollo 600w MH/HPS
MH Bulb is from Apollo
HPS is a Digimax

Here they are at 14 days old (GDP left, HGK right):

IMG_080540.JPG

GDP

IMG_080740.JPG

HGK

IMG_080630.JPG

Re: Butternuts Hydro 600w HID DNA Holy Grail Kush and Blimburn Grand Daddy Purple - 2

Here's my Super Lemon Haze from my 1st Grow. Day 61. Took them to 72 days.

SLH_14.jpg
SLH413.jpg
SLH319.jpg
SLH229.jpg

Re: Butternuts Hydro 600w HID DNA Holy Grail Kush and Blimburn Grand Daddy Purple - 2

Here's the new girls from late last night (Day 19)

IMG_081241.JPG

GDP

IMG_081344.JPG

HGK

IMG_081547.JPG

Re: Butternuts Hydro 600w HID DNA Holy Grail Kush & Blimburn Grand Daddy Purple - 201

First topping. With this being my first seed grow, I don't have any experience topping them so young. So, hopefully this works out. It's been my plan from the beginning.

IMG_081943.JPG

GDP

IMG_081740.JPG

HGK

IMG_081833.JPG

Re: Butternuts Hydro 600w HID DNA Holy Grail Kush & Blimburn Grand Daddy Purple - 201

Day 22 update:

No bueno....

The GDP is doing fine but for some reason the HGK is sad panda :( She started drooping after the topping and it's slowly getting droopier.

GDP looks fine and has tons of growth from all nodes. She didn't skip a beat.

I topped them both 2 days ago and apparently the HGK didn't like it at all.... she only has one little root poking from the bottom of the bucket, I should have waited until the root was fully in the reservoir I think. I also added airstones since the GDP has the taproot fully in the water now. I'm surprised the HGK responded this way, I expected the growth to slow/stop temporarily but I didn't expect it to droop like it's overwatered. This is the conclusion I've come to, I hope it's just a small setback.

Otherwise, here's what I found on the net regarding the symptoms:

Everything that I've read indicates that you can't overwater in hydroton media and many people with the waterfarms (which is almost identical to the power growers) run their drippers 24/7 with great success. Rootbound was another problem with similar symptoms but, like overwatering, you can't get rootbound in hydro.

Only other thing I researched which matched the symptoms was root rot. I don't believe this is the issue either since my res is pretty steady at 67-69 and I'm running Hydroguard which is a bacterial root innoculant. I don't want to run H2O2 since it will probably kill all my beneficials in the soup as well as the pythium...

As you can see from the pics the leaf color looks good and there's no other noticeable deficiencies. They were fed from the same 5 gallon bucket of solution.

Running half strength nutes and full strength hydroguard (for this phase according to directions). They've been on this regime for 8 days now.

Any suggestions are welcome.

IMG_082344.JPG

GDP

IMG_082438.JPG

Sad HGK

IMG_082540.JPG

Day 28

The HGK isn't drooping anymore but she's still stunted... She won't poke her roots through the bucket past an inch but they're white and furry so idunno what her deal is. I think the taproot must be bunched up somewhere or something... not sure what else to do but see how it goes. At some point if she's still way behind, I'll have to toss her.

GDP on the other hand is lovin life. I cleaned up her underside from the 1st few nodes over the weekend. Her cotyledons were just turning yellow and the first leaves were just fading. I just LST'ed the 4 main nodes, she seems like a happy little clam...

IMG_083834.JPG

GDP

IMG_084137.JPG

HGK

IMG_084034.JPG

Day 35

HGK was culled. She was growing at 1/10th the vigor of the GDP so I decided to cut ties. Upon further inspection, I don't know what her deal was. She had 4 main roots growing throughout the hydroton but none of them would go into the reservoir. Maybe, if I waited it would have eventually but I've run out of patience with her.

Luckily, I have an uncle in my back pocket. No, not literally but he happened to have a Gorilla Glue #4 clone he was able to part with. So, hopefully she will fare better than her predecessor. He told me she's one of the sturdier strains he's grown (19 years) so that's saying a lot.

The GDP is doing fantastic, big fat leaves, nice big knuckles growing at the junctions. Only thing that puzzled me a bit was the fact that I'm seeing lots of 7 fingered leaves at the new growth sites. I've never grown an Indica dominant and wasn't sure if that's just a normal thing or not. I was under the impression that they mostly grow wide 5 fingered leaves. Perhaps it's a sativa pheno?

At any rate, couldn't be happier with her progress.

Anybody out there? (echo)

IMG_084633.JPG

GDP canopy

IMG_084833.JPG

GDP branch structure

IMG_084731.JPG

GG, the new gal

IMG_084935.JPG

Re: Butternuts Hydro 600W HID DNA Holy Grail Kush & Blimburn Grand Daddy Purple - 201

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom