Can I apply dry chicken manure one or two weeks before transplanting?

Phillybonker

I grow outdoors in the ground and I'm thinking of trying dry chicken manure on a few of my plants to see how it does compared to other fertilizers I plan on using.

My question is - Can aged chicken manure be mixed into the soil 1 or 2 weeks before transplanting?

Well I don't see why not :)

It would give the microorganisms a chance to break down the chicken manure pellets before the plants need the nutrients, essentially giving a head start.

Other wise if I remember correctly chicken manure pellets are used as a top dressing aprox every 6 to 8 weeks.

Can aged chicken manure be mixed into the soil 1 or 2 weeks before transplanting?
@Phillybonker , great question and the timing is just right since two days ago I bought 6 chickens and one rooster. I was wondering the same thing.
How about keeping me in the loop on how it's going. Thanks

Well I don't see why not :)

It would give the microorganisms a chance to break down the chicken manure pellets before the plants need the nutrients, essentially giving a head start.

Other wise if I remember correctly chicken manure pellets are used as a top dressing aprox every 6 to 8 weeks.
Yeah I also don't see why not, but I thought I better run it past the forum first before throwing chicken manure around everywhere.

It should work, I would not plant very young seedlings in it, it's hot stuff, but for older sprouts (3-4 sets of leaves) it should work, just don't go crazy with it.
I transplant when they are three weeks old and I won't put any chicken manure directly on the spots where I'll be transplanting, I'll leave a one foot diameter area free of chicken manure around the transplanting spots.

@Phillybonker , great question and the timing is just right since two days ago I bought 6 chickens and one rooster. I was wondering the same thing.
How about keeping me in the loop on how it's going. Thanks
Transplanting time is still a wee while away yet (5 weeks), germination will take place in 2 weeks. Visits to the grow area will be infrequent due to stealth reasons so after transplanting my next visit will probably be 3-4 weeks after that but I'll keep you in the loop.

Transplanting time is still a wee while away yet (5 weeks), germination will take place in 2 weeks. Visits to the grow area will be infrequent due to stealth reasons so after transplanting my next visit will probably be 3-4 weeks after that but I'll keep you in the loop.
Funny, my grow time will be next spring so we are sort of in a similar time constraint. By then I should have a meager supply of chicken pop to augment the soil.

Take care and good luck with your upcoming grow.

Chicken manure is one of the hot manures and I would think a month or two minimum to compost in the soil. With only two weeks I wouldn't mix it in. Topdress, maybe, but not mixed in, and I'd only use it on established plants.

Chicken manure is one of the hot manures and I would think a month or two minimum to compost in the soil. With only two weeks I wouldn't mix it in. Topdress, maybe, but not mixed in, and I'd only use it on established plants.
He did say it is aged, it should be fine since he isn't putting them directly in it.

Back
Top Bottom