Can I start plants indoors in a soilless media and transplant outdoors in the spring?

nnorman8551

420 Member
Hi all,

I have never done an outdoor grow and want to try it for fun this spring! I typically grow indoors using promix hpcc (soilless) and am wondering if I can start plants in a soilless system to get them to a healthy veg and then transplant them outside and if I can, what should that process look like? If not, I can use an organic soil to start, but I already have all the supplies for soilless and was curious on the communities thoughts and experience. Let me know!

No reason why you could not transplant. Starting seedlings indoors is common practice for lots of types of plants.
Thanks, but starting indoors with soilless and transplanting to outdoor soil was my primary question. I definitely understand transplanting outdoors is ok :) Anything special I need to do when transplanting due to it's roots being in coco instead of dirt? Or will the roots just find their way :)

I use peat-pots, or poo-pots to start the seedlings indoors for about 6 weeks. As spring comes on they go outside a couple hrs a day to get used to sunlight. Peat-pots will allow the roots to penetrate, so I transplant into big 2ft 60cm pots full of a good quality potting mix. Rubbermaid bins work well and are less likely to topple in a wind.

Ignore this if you're an organic gardener. I use a brand name 20-20-20 fertilizer mixed double strength every 7-10 days until flowering starts. Fertilizer seems to be a contentious subject, but this is what I've always done and get super results.

Good luck, cheers

I have started indoors in peat moss/ pro mix and transplanted directly into the ground and had no problems just make sure the pro mx is covered with the native soil and try and pack in a little extra pro mix to mix in with some of the native soil in the hole you are planting in. I have not tried it with pure coco coir to soil but i do think it would work. From my personal experience you should not have any problems transplanting soiless promix to soil.

Back
Top Bottom