Can I use an old freezer as a grow box?

drkdiglr112

If I were to use an old deep freezer that is white would I still need to paint it flat white? How big should the intake and exhaust holes be? How many lights preferablely cfl's for a box that is 33"lx22w"x28"deep? How many fans and what size would I need thanks for all the help

Will you stand it up on its side? If not how tall is it? On its side, one 250w cfl would probably be enough. If it's the right way up, I'd personally use two 150w cfl's with wide reflectors.

It might be overkill, but I'd use a 100mm inline fan anyway. Since the freezer is practically hermetically sealed, there won't be any other source of air other than what is pulled in by the fan. Also, freezers are extremely well insulated, so any heat generated inside will be trapped unless you haul it out somehow.

I expect the surface inside the freezer is quite shiny. I don't know if that'll have any effect though, sorry.

Anyway, good luck on your project. I'd love to see some pics of the process.

Well yes u could.I used 1 yr ago an did scrog grow as left sitting like it was made.ur's an uprite or chest??Mine was chest type that's why i did scrog type grow.1 fan in 1 fan out all on timers.well good luck an grow on.I removed insulation from the top an mounted lite rite on the door.well good luck.stay safe
Godspeed,
DnR

I'd go with two 125w grow cfl's side by side.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but just for reference as to what to look for, here's the type I use. (I have one 2700k, one 6500k each @ 250w and one 2700k @ 150w.)

Almost any kind of sufficient lighting will produce a lot of heat in such a well insulated box, so personally, I'd go with the 4" can fan with a 4" intake. You'll need a lot of circulation to transport the heat quick enough.

EDIT: You should double check my advice, since I'm no expert by far.

How do i figure out the size of the fans I will need? I will have 12 23w cfls in this box.

Fan size should be determine by how much air needs to be removed inside your space every 5 minutes or so.

Figure your cubic feet and then get a fan with a cfm rating that will exhaust that amount of air, at least, every 5 minutes.

That's the size fan you need.

:Namaste:

thank u so much all this time ive been tring to figure out what use and reading this i mean ham i have one of those freezer in basement collecting dust dude are u gonna post pic's and hope u dont mind me stealing some of ur plans:yahoo::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom