Distilled water from a freezer?

Remystemple

Hey Team.
I have an odd question. in my restaurant is a huge walk in freezer. on the outside of it is a tube that the water from the defrost cycle comes out of into a bucket.

I tested the water at 5.0 ish pH and a ppm of about 2 lol. so it seems like distilled water to me.
but since it was frozen and thawed, and is also just condensation that's been collected by my leaky ass freezer.

Would there be any reason for me not to use this water?

It might pick up dust, but it should be fine for plants where you would use RO/rain/distilled.

My only little issue about it is that it smells just like a frosty freezer lol not sure if that means anything. i'm definitely gonna be trying it tho. if it's good to use it'll save me a bit.

my tap water is super clean but the pH is high, 7.6 - 8.2 is what i've seen. my friend at the treatment plant verified it. they keep it high to aid in this chem they add that is supposed to stick to the inside of lead pipes to basically seal the lead instead of digging up all the pipes in town.

i'd likely use it half and half with tap water, and to make my buffer solutions and maybe feed seedlings.

Since the summer came I have been needing to use a dehumidifier as my girls are in flower, generating lots of water. I did the exact same thing - measured PPM and pH, and got the same result. Very low PPM/EC, and low pH (about 5.0-5.5). I've been using it for about a month now, and so far so good. Gives my RO filter the summer off!

Since the summer came I have been needing to use a dehumidifier as my girls are in flower, generating lots of water. I did the exact same thing - measured PPM and pH, and got the same result. Very low PPM/EC, and low pH (about 5.0-5.5). I've been using it for about a month now, and so far so good. Gives my RO filter the summer off!

awesome. does it smell funny?

awesome. does it smell funny?

My water doesn't, but it is just running from a dehumidifier. I can imagine the condensate from a freezer would pick up food odours. Kind of like ice cubes that have been in the freezer for too long.

pH of distilled water may be a little acidic from picking up CO2, but it will shift a large amount with just a little acid or base added. I suggest you add tap water to get your TDS around 175ppm or so. Most nute makers formulate their nutes for tap water, and that is normally below 200ppm, but does have dissolved solids. I've got very hard well water with a lot of Ca/Mg dissolved. I dilute the well water to about 150-200ppm TDS, and use GH nutes with a peat/perlite commercial media(SunshineMix). I never measure my pH any more, or my TDS and just mix my nutes to the GH schedule. I like to KISS! Most of my stash comes from my greenhouse, and I just mess around indoors occasionally these days for kicks.

pH of distilled water may be a little acidic from picking up CO2, but it will shift a large amount with just a little acid or base added. I suggest you add tap water to get your TDS around 175ppm or so. Most nute makers formulate their nutes for tap water, and that is normally below 200ppm, but does have dissolved solids. I've got very hard well water with a lot of Ca/Mg dissolved. I dilute the well water to about 150-200ppm TDS, and use GH nutes with a peat/perlite commercial media(SunshineMix). I never measure my pH any more, or my TDS and just mix my nutes to the GH schedule. I like to KISS! Most of my stash comes from my greenhouse, and I just mess around indoors occasionally these days for kicks.
Good thinking. I'll use the tap water to bring up the pH. It'll work perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom