Can my nutes end up in my concentrates?

DreamingTrees7

Do not use nutrients improperly. Less is more and always flush before harvest.

If cannabis is processed correctly, there will be no harmful chemicals whatsoever in the product.

Do not use cannabis from anyone other than you or a licensed dispensary

My real question is. Can my nutrients that I use to grow my weed stay present in my weed from the time I cut them down alllll the way to being processed into concentrates?

If so, what are they exactly? Besides cannabinoids and thc? What if I turn my buds into thc oil and vape it?

Is this what’s happening to these people on the news vaping?
My theory is that SYNTHETIC nutrients are being used improperly by beginner Growers who then process their bud into oil to put in their vape pens.
Can this happen?

I would think that the only way your nutrients would end up in your concentrates would be if you chose to pour the nutrients in after making the concentrates, or if you manage to drop some of the plant material in.

This applies both to weeds and cannabis.

Your theory shows a lack of understanding of synthetic nutrients, by the way. Perhaps you are someone who uses "organic" (quotation marks intentional) nutrients? If so, a basic understanding of nutrients and plants might be helpful. E.g., there is no difference between the calcium in a plant that was taken up directly by the roots after a nutrient solution containing it was poured into the substrate and that which originally came from bone meal, was consumed by microorganisms in the soil, excreted by those microorganisms in a form that the plant can then process, and (finally) taken up by the plant's roots. In other words, lol, an element... is an element.

The blanket statement about preharvest flushing also infers some level of ignorance. I suggest you read post #1 in the thread here titled "A Critical Look at Preharvest Flushing."

Yea I’m ignant. I just started growing. Everyone always gets offended. The statements before my question were a disclaimer in an attempt not to “scare” anyone or piss off the moderators.

There’s just got to be an answer to why people are dying from vaping thc whether it’s ignorance in my case or stupidly using the wrong coils for thc cartridges.

Try not to get your panties in a wad

My 2 cents.. the only way I see that occurring if someone was using crazy nutrients schedules outside the recommendations. And made their plants sick to the point some thing was wrong with them at harvest. Or using foliage sprays which also is possible. Crazy pesticides is also another thing.
News that has been going around in not related to the directly. The problems with vaping is related to the substrate that is used. Like MCT oil is one example.
So the problem is not really vaping weed. The industry even legalized don’t have great standards for assuring quality. A new grower growing for themselves I would hope to think twice about the crap they are spraying on their plant and there should be no issues. Especially if they stick to the basics. I walked into many grow shops and they don’t always give good advise. If your concerned then just be careful with products your use. The nutrition is not a problem. What will cause issues will be Nasty foliage sprays, not are all bad. Sick plants like mold would be the biggest. And. How your make concentrates if you choose to do so. So don’t just take anyone’s word when given advice. Research it a bit as well just to make sure your ok with that pesticide, or spray. Or whatever. If you are asking these questions then great, Your off to a good start.. I grow for the same reason. The leagalized system here in Canada is far from perfect. Lots of the products suck. SO keep growing your own and use your head and your will come out with a superior product for certain.

I was in Colorado this past weekend and everything I purchased from the dispensaries had a label with ingredients. I was a little amused when I was reading through it and realized it was from the added nutrients. I found that quite interesting.

It did make me wonder how much the nutrients used during a grow affected the final product.

Hey @DreamingTrees7,

You've received a kind of condescending answer from another member above. The content is good, but the tone... yikes!

I think it is very unlikely that the end product - buds themselves, or oils, tinctures, etc. - would contain anything harmful. The only means that I could think of is if someone is doing foliar spraying once in flowering period with something toxic, and as a result the contaminant is on the outside of the plant, versus inside the cell walls. Otherwise, I would imagine that everything in the plant has been "filtered" by the roots on uptake.

I'm curious about the news of illness from vaping as well (whether nicotine or cannabis). I think the problem is more likely to be coming from the vehicle (PG or VG) than the nicotine or THC itself.

From what I’ve read- yes nutrients do end up processed and in the flower. Not sure that this is necessarily a bad thing, just the way nature works.

Debatable whether there’s any such thing as ‘synthetic nutrients’. Plants all use the exact same elements whether in organics or hydro.

Concentrates is a different ball of wax - usually using toxic solvents.

spraying... with something toxic, and as a result the contaminant is on the outside of the plant,

So like- all the produce in the grocery store?

Depending which ones you count as essential, there are around 15- 20 essential elements used by most plants.

The macro elements - Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium. Sulphur, and Magnesium.

The micro elements like iron, zinc, copper, molybdenum, etc...

They are all completely natural and are found in any good soil.

Yes these elements are found in our food. They are part of a healthy diet.

Sometimes they are concentrated and put in bottled form. Sometimes for fertilizer. Sometimes for the drugstore shelf in the vitamins and minerals dept.

Which are the ones that you are worried about?

If plants could absorb the nutrients, either organic or non-organic then it would be inside just about every fruit and vegetable that we eat.

Anyone else remember the "Alar Scare" 20 years ago this year?

I'm thinking that @Weaselcracker might have been responding to my comments about spraying the foliage of cannabis, or pesticide spray on veggies and fruits. Whether it gets absorbed or not, there is still surface residue on supermarket produce. Doesn't stop me from buying supermarket products, but I do try to get organic when it comes to the "dirty dozen."

My opinion, which isn't worth the electrons they were transmitted on.... It all depends on how you process your oil. For people that use BHO, if you get sick, you deserve it. I mean using petroleum products as a means of extracting the THC is just counter-intuitive to me.

I wash my product with food grade ethanol, filter the hell out of the resulting sludge, and then I distill it. I use a SourceOne distillery. Only reason, it captures the ethanol so I can reuse it, vs. evaping it to the environment. I've had it tested twice, and the only unexpected ingredient was the ethanol. I would have expected all of it to evap off, but it seems that it retains some.

On the basic question: Why are people getting sick/dieing? My opinion again, but I firmly believe that just about everyone adds something to the oil. Not sure if you all have every done direct path distillation, but when you do, the resulting THC is super thick and doesn't move around a hole bunch. However, you go to the dispenseries, and the oil in the carts moves around just by turning them upside down. Sure, some dispenseries are doing it right, but I see at least half the carts I come across aren't viscous at all, with the oil rolling around inside the cart. I wouldn't waste my money or lungs on this shit.

My biggest question as it relates to the vape health issues is, what is the source of the vape? Again, just because it came from a dispensary means nothing, medical or rec. History has proven that once you take something that works great small batch style, and then commercialize it, you tend to run into quality issues, and scum bag business men/women caring more about the profits than the health of their patients. Our beloved MJ is no different.

Soap Box put away!

I wash my product with food grade ethanol, filter the hell out of the resulting sludge, and then I distill it. I use a SourceOne distillery. Only reason, it captures the ethanol so I can reuse it, vs. evaping it to the environment. I've had it tested twice, and the only unexpected ingredient was the ethanol. I would have expected all of it to evap off, but it seems that it retains some.

/QUOTE]

I use isopropyl for extraction, and lose about 20-25% when I reclaim through distillation. Do you decarb your extract? That would make sure all volatiles are gone that would come off below 220F. I can't fine a SourceOne still. Mine:

Yea I’m ignant. I just started growing. Everyone always gets offended. The statements before my question were a disclaimer in an attempt not to “scare” anyone or piss off the moderators.

There’s just got to be an answer to why people are dying from vaping thc whether it’s ignorance in my case or stupidly using the wrong coils for thc cartridges.

Try not to get your panties in a wad

So it's 5 deaths in the USA. i'm sitting here wondering why anyone is getting their panties in a wad. it's only 5 deaths out of how many people? it's alarmist bs. lets just chill for a second and remember we're also talking about the scummy lying news media who maybe just didn't have anything better to talk about that day.

Just an example. Thousands of people die from the flu every year, but 1 little boy on the other side of the world in some village nobody ever heard of gets swine flu and the news is all over it, spreading fear and selling their product.

until i know someone personally affected by this i'm gonna call alarmist bs.

Just relax ffs lol

Dunno what happened to your quotes, but they got goofed!

No, I don't decarbylize my concentrate. I'm not really sure why I would. If I vape it, it gets heated and decarbed instantly when I hit the button. When I throw my extract into edits, the baking process cooks it up. So unless I am doing a tincture, I am not really sure why I would decarb it unless I needed to?

Well, I used to do it because it sounded sophisticated and thought that it was the thing to do, when you got yourself some extract. But nowa days, I'm not into rushing things. I like to keeps my goodies in their natural form, and then vert them when necessary.

Hey @DreamingTrees7,

You've received a kind of condescending answer from another member above. The content is good, but the tone... yikes!
Lol, I’m sure that’s me.. sorry for the tone. But I have been sick from someone contaminating their weed over 20 years ago so it’s a sensitive topic as I know that a lot still goes on. As for news I heard that smoking mold does the worse damage as the chemicals in mold are designed to break down organic matter. When you smoke mold the chemicals don’t go away they do the similar damage to your lungs as they do to your plant.
Did you hear about that company that recently pulled millions of product that was bad off the shelf? Maybe 2 weeeks ago? That is just one company I’m sure there is a lot more that slips by. I’ll never buy concentrates Or editable for the same reason as the smaller % of mold or bad product would be easier to hide.
I’ll be getting my own distiller setup like zero day was mentioning for all the reasons mentioned in this thread as my lungs cant take much. I may have to switch completely to home made edible concentrates. Right now I make editable hash and save vape for special occasions.

Smoking mold? There are so many articles I would not know where to begin. I’ll check to see if I can fine the ones that link mold to legionnaires disease. Or Aspergillosis. Those are the bigger issues like a mold infection. If you search for “ smoke mold weed” you can read tons. Of course some are not the best sources but generally all the same thing.

Lol, I’m sure that’s me.. sorry for the tone. But I have been sick from someone contaminating their weed over 20 years ago so it’s a sensitive topic as I know that a lot still goes on. As for news I heard that smoking mold does the worse damage as the chemicals in mold are designed to break down organic matter. When you smoke mold the chemicals don’t go away they do the similar damage to your lungs as they do to your plant.
Did you hear about that company that recently pulled millions of product that was bad off the shelf? Maybe 2 weeeks ago? That is just one company I’m sure there is a lot more that slips by. I’ll never buy concentrates Or editable for the same reason as the smaller % of mold or bad product would be easier to hide.
I’ll be getting my own distiller setup like zero day was mentioning for all the reasons mentioned in this thread as my lungs cant take much. I may have to switch completely to home made edible concentrates. Right now I make editable hash and save vape for special occasions.

Hey @Sonman - no, my comment wasn't direct at you at all! :)

I was reacting to the post suggesting that the original questions were "ignorant" "lacked understanding." As I said I thought the content in the post was valuable, but for Pete's sake, no need to call someone ignorant for asking legitimate questions. Just struck me as unnecessarily condescending and mean.

On to more pleasant topics... I am working towards distilling my own high-proof alcohol (can't get Everclear in Canada) to make RSO, for all the reasons several of you have mentioned. I also think the finished product will be a lot easier to use in edibles than the way I am currently doing it, with infused olive oil.

Back
Top Bottom