Can this work ?

Ganja4

420 Member
Ok folks.
I am planning to grow soon outdoors.A couple of plants.In the forest.Not a water source near.But i can take 1.5 litre bottle with me when i go jogging there.I live in mediteranean are so it gets pretty hot and dry.
So i am hoping i can get away with this 1.5 litre
I have been reading threads about the problem of watering when it comes to outdoors.
So i had this idea and i want your opinions.
This is for ppl who hike, jogg etc
What if...
Presoak polymers to get them expanded ,
Get a biiiig bucket/pot and place a thick layer of the expanded crystals on bottom.
Mix some crystals with soil and top the bucket/pot with that mix
Dig a hole in the ground and place in there the bucket/pot.
Now there is that issue.Do you make holes on the bottom of your bucket/pot ?
If you dont.Then i assume less waterings. I remind you i am talking about summer in the mediteranean.Rly hot and dry.Really intense sun.
So the whole point is to be able to sustain life with small amounts of water 3 times per week lets say.Or even everyday.But a litre ,litre and a half.Sth u could carry with you without looking weird
Any opinions are apreciated

I think it would work in maintaining moisture but my experience is that it the plant is really drinking you will a lot more water than you are suggesting. In active flower my girls are drinking about 2-4 liters each a day.

One idea would be to create a gravation drip irrigation system with a battery operated timer.

If you use a bucket in the ground I would definitely have drainage holes in it for drainage, Otherwise I would think you are at risk of root rot.

Ok folks.
I am planning to grow soon outdoors.A couple of plants.In the forest.Not a water source near.But i can take 1.5 litre bottle with me when i go jogging there.I live in mediteranean are so it gets pretty hot and dry.
So i am hoping i can get away with this 1.5 litre

I would respectfully suggest that... you're going to want a significantly larger water bottle than that, lol. Cannabis plants, like (most) all plants, transpire water as a means of self-cooling. I would expect even a small (knee-high, but reasonably bushy) cannabis plant to transpire more than 1.5l of water per day. Especially in the climate that you described. For more on this subject, type:
Code:
how much water can a plant transpire?
into any Internet search box.

You mentioned those water-absorbing polymer... things. I have, in the past, had varying degrees of success with such things - but, generally, little to none, lol. They do not create water; water still needs to be available in the first place (either from the ground, the atmosphere (precipitation), or from YOU).

Hopefully, your local water table is relatively close to the surface. Established plants (in-ground, which is definitely what I'd suggest in your case, if at all possible) have root systems, and these things draw moisture from the soil. This significantly reduces the need for one to water one's plants, although it may or may not prevent the need altogether.

TINY plants do not transpire a lot of water, but the surrounding plants - and the surrounding soil, depending - can end up accounting for a great percentage of the water you're dispensing. This is less of an issue if you are able to thoroughly water (not turn to mud, lol) the area occasionally, at least in the beginning.

Look for low areas, which will put your plants' roots that much closer to the water table. Also look for sections of vegetation that seem to be appreciably healthier and more lush than the area's average (although it might just be that they have significantly deeper root systems, if the plants you are seeing are of different types than the others). And plan for the need to water at least on a daily basis if you cannot carry more water than just a water bottle (or two ;) ) at a time. Again, this need will lessen as the plants' roots grow.

Strain choice will be a huge factor. You live in a hot/dry region. Consider local strains that have become adapted over generations of selection for such a climate. Also consider those from comparable (or even less palatable) climates - such as some African strains. These would be far better choices than the "average indoor strain," IMHO.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find success. And I also hope that you will consider doing a grow journal. We can always use more of them, especially outdoor ones. You might end up getting useful information along the way, if you do one. If nothing else, the encouragement you will almost certainly receive from people following along can give a needed mental/emotional boost if/when issues arise - or even if it's just really, really hot and you do not particularly feel like lumping supplies into the woods, lol.

Last year was my first year to grow guerilla style (outdoors). I sewed special bags for them and used the best soils I could and took them to a swampy area. it was June (I live in the Alberta Rocky Mountains) and the swamps were ankle deep in water. I only plant around bulrushes (or cattails) and my bags were 1/3 deep in water. GREAT!!! Then no rain. And no rain. And soon the swamp was almost dry. The plants died. They need water lots of water. 1.5 l is not enough. The water holding polymers disintegrate as the season goes on. I tested them to see how long they last. And its just in the time of flower that we have to make sure the plant has what it needs so that it doesn't stress so that it can build flowers. If you go every day people will notice, you might make a trail/track. Be careful!!

I usually got out with watering very little once in two weeks in 95-105F weather, but I always worked on boosting the root growth and immunity to drought via mycorrhizae and collaboration with soil bacteria. Also a lot depends on the type of soil. My loam retains it really well, but with sandy soils that's a different story and you have to get around that first.

Back
Top Bottom