Can you tell what sex a plant is going to be from when it's a seed?

popolino77

Can you tell what sex a plant is going to be from when its a seed ? I watched a youtube video of some one sexing plants from when they were seeds. Is that really posable?

Can you tell what sex a plant is going to be from when its a seed ? I watched a youtube video of some one sexing plants from when they were seeds. Is that really posable?

There are a number of us testing out the theory that seeds with indented bellybuttons are female. There is also a whole discussion from a couple years ago on deeper pot depths, lower temperatures, and lack of stress through the 4th week being conducive to producing females.

Will be interesting to see for ourselves if the combination of seed structure and environment causes the genetics to express themselves as female.

I'd say...

#1 If it there was convincing evidence from enough people it would be "common knowledge"

#2 If genetics was not fixed by chromosomes then Feminized seeds wouldn't work.

I think that it is much like women who swear they can tell the sex of a child by all kinds of BS. They have a 50% chance of guessing right so a couple of right answers and they "know" they have it figured out. Again if there was something that worked all women in the world would know about it.

I am sure there is some genetic test that could be done but for a few bucks if you really don't have the patients you can just get fem'd seeds and then clone from then on. Cloning is so easy and learning is so important...just grow top quality seeds and clone the females.

But that is just my opinion.
:Namaste:

I'd say...

#1 If it there was convincing evidence from enough people it would be "common knowledge"

#2 If genetics was not fixed by chromosomes then Feminized seeds wouldn't work.

I think that it is much like women who swear they can tell the sex of a child by all kinds of BS. They have a 50% chance of guessing right so a couple of right answers and they "know" they have it figured out. Again if there was something that worked all women in the world would know about it.

I am sure there is some genetic test that could be done but for a few bucks if you really don't have the patients you can just get fem'd seeds and then clone from then on. Cloning is so easy and learning is so important...just grow top quality seeds and clone the females.

But that is just my opinion.
:Namaste:

I am new to growing. Is there any difference from a fem plant that came from regular seeds and a fem plant that came from feminized seeds ?

yup

Feminized seeds are hermaphrodites. That means they use 1 of 3 methods (2 of which are not too bad) to cause part of a female plant to grow male parts and self pollinate with pollen that has only female chromosomes. So female plus female has a very high chance of being female.

Where as a normal plant is just like people. The male pollen meets up with a female flower and can make either.

Now in the case of the 1 way to create hermaphrodites (or Hermes) the "wrong" way what happens typically is they end up being very easy to turn hermaphrodite naturally and subsequent generations just get worse and worse.

All hermes are more sensitive than normal plants and can more easily become Herme but ones done properly (with chemicals) are very robust and not that that hard to keep female. Where as a natural herme can go bad without notification.

And then you have no sensi :thedoubletake:

There are a number of us testing out the theory that seeds with indented bellybuttons are female. There is also a whole discussion from a couple years ago on deeper pot depths, lower temperatures, and lack of stress through the 4th week being conducive to producing females.

Will be interesting to see for ourselves if the combination of seed structure and environment causes the genetics to express themselves as female.

I used that chart that's running around to separate and then choose my seeds for this grow. I wanted three males but all three of those were girls and half of my "assured to be female" seeds were males.

that chart goes in the trash where it belongs.

I've tested it Now with over 50 seeds and have come to about 85% accuracy. I think there may be a correlation to physical attributes of a seed and it's predetermined sex. Or it may just be good conditions. Or it may just be luck. 35% increase is hard to chalk up to luck but others have claimed that popping and vegging regular seeds in optimal conditions have produced up to 90+% female plants. I've yet to see that But there are claims out there. I've got hundreds more that will be tests and I'm keeping a tally.

Everyone goes through this question when they start out. No one has ever figured t out because if they did there would be a sticky post here explaining it.

I would add... Long ago I too had many thoughts about how temps might impact sex. I had some real good conversations with a scientist friend of mine who knows a lot more than I do. I got this to say about that.

First off you have to make a very bold assumption that bad conditions make a male or vice versa. The only thing we know for sure is if you stress out a female in bloom it naturally will self pollinate which makes a heck of a lot of sense. One thing I haven't tried or read about is taking a male and stressing it out and seeing if it grows flowers and self pollinates. But the act of going from Female to Hermi because of stress in bloom is simply a response to the end of the world and has nothing to do with "bad conditions make males".

In Fact... 1 male can pollinate a field of females. If the situation is so bad that the plant goes against its genes and actually does a real sex change due to stress it makes more sense for males to become females.

And furthermore...(here is where you gotta agree), In Veg we do all kinds of crazy things that cause massive stress to the plant on purpose. Things that would break its back in bloom. We can chop it in half, give it toxic levels of unbalanced nutes, pH it to the extreme, have disease and rot in the rots, you name it...Then we recondition the soil, trim it back and we can bring it back to a healthy state in a few weeks and so long as we are in veg...it wont be a hermi. If we fix everything before we bloom starts the plants don't care. The plant simply doesn't give 2 shits what happens before bloom. It is what it is, and ONLY if you stress it out near the end of life where all it has left to do is seed... then it will take the situation into its own hands.

I would add I know lots of people who have about 85% accuracy from seed physiology. And I do believe it is probably even more accurate if they really "knew" what to look for. But I am not throwing away a seed because it only has a 15% chance of being female. The worst is you turn the male into brownies. Ah twist my arm...

If it were really that accurate I would think the seeds banks would have a price point between feminized and regular that is "sorted" and they would charge us a bit more for that...maybe they have tried and the price point is not worth the sorting effort.

Just clone it , sex the original quick and use the clone.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom