Can't grasp the concept of air exchange

Air exchange is important if you're not running co2 and as a way to control your temp and humidity. The best way to do that is to buy a fan speed controller and adjust your exhaust so that your temp and/or rh stays around where you want it. Advanced controllers will have your exhaust kick on when temp or rh reach certain levels. Just adjust everything until you find the sweet spot.

It can be tricky! I started with (and still use) a cool tube design.. so always sucking out air and replacing with fresh air.

All the air being blown out of my tent, runs out my window. The intake ducting, I hang up as close or far from my AC unit as needed. Humidity can be a bit harder will admit. And my problem is usually too low, so always trying to raise it.

Its not that hard, only proper way for optimal is Reverse Cycle Aircon.
I use no enviromental control but in a temperate climate.
The outside of the plant can put up with heaps...actually prefers it a lil cooler.
Root temp is where its at.
Invest in heat mats set at 20-24C under pots will ensure optimal growth and plant can survive any external cold etc, good ventilation for the rest and full spectrum lights..... Done.

Air exchange is important if you're not running co2 and as a way to control your temp and humidity. The best way to do that is to buy a fan speed controller and adjust your exhaust so that your temp and/or rh stays around where you want it. Advanced controllers will have your exhaust kick on when temp or rh reach certain levels. Just adjust everything until you find the sweet spot.
I can definitely see that for reducing heat but what if humidity is coming in at 60% and I needed to get down to 40%? If I had a dehumidifier in the tent then it will be always trying to dehumidify at 60% and would probably never get down to 40%. So I assume that wherever the tent is located I will have to get the surrounding humidity lower. That sounds about right?

Thank you for the explanation

That's the theory behind a "lung room" and it's how I operate my grow. I control the environment of the room my tent is in. And that in turn, controls the tent.
I would use the dehumidifier outside your grow space, that way dehumidified air is what will be pulled into it. There are a lot of variables, like how big your lung room is vs your equipment etc. But you're right, trying to use a humidifier/dehumidifier in a small space with alot of air exchange is a major headache.

I don't fully understand how someone is supposed to keep a proper temperature and a proper relative humidity when you have air exchanged going on. If I have a carbon filter sucking air out of the tent then fresh air is coming in from somewhere. I'm supposed to heat/cool that and remove humidity? How the heck does it keep up?

Most people can't no worries. Haha.

Your ambient air conditions greatly affect your tent conditions, keeping that in check will keep your tents in check. Keep them in a room that is cooler and drier than your tent Target temp. At that point if it's too humid or too warm in the tent your controls bring in more cool dry air from outside. I use a hyperfan with a temperature speed controller and love it.

Thanks everybody for the explanations.

My tent is in my basement which is a constant 65 degrees but the humidity is around 60, so during flower I will get a dehumidifier and keep it around 40 to 50 rh. so when I do the air exchange it'll always be the right humidity. I will turn the fan up higher if it gets too hot.

Love the community.

Most people can't no worries. Haha.

Your ambient air conditions greatly affect your tent conditions, keeping that in check will keep your tents in check. Keep them in a room that is cooler and drier than your tent Target temp. At that point if it's too humid or too warm in the tent your controls bring in more cool dry air from outside. I use a hyperfan with a temperature speed controller and love it.
Is very tricky cuz if I want to run a dehumidifier in the tent room I can't get the temperature lower than 79.

Maybe I'm a stickler lower temperatures but aren't you supposed to flower in lower than 79 degrees.

Hi Dinger, if you have a exhaust fan controller you can turn it up which should bring in more air and make it cooler or vice versa to make it warmer, if you don't have one I would pick one up it makes it much easier to control temp also if you run some dryer ducting or something similar with a bit bigger intake than your exhaust fan from a vent in the bottom of your tent and suck fresh or cooler air from a window or cooler spot outside the tent this should help a lot Plus 79 degrees isn't super bad. :peace:

Is very tricky cuz if I want to run a dehumidifier in the tent room I can't get the temperature lower than 79.

Maybe I'm a stickler lower temperatures but aren't you supposed to flower in lower than 79 degrees.

Yea lower is better, 79 is on the upper end. But not a deal breaker. What are you trying to get the humidity to? Where is it at without?

If you increase the Rh set point on the unit it will run less and produce less heat but may still keep you in a good spot.

I can't set mine for 45% most of the year or it will get to hot. If I leave it set at 55% the temps don't go over 75.

Yea lower is better, 79 is on the upper end. But not a deal breaker. What are you trying to get the humidity to? Where is it at without?

If you increase the Rh set point on the unit it will run less and produce less heat but may still keep you in a good spot.

I can't set mine for 45% most of the year or it will get to hot. If I leave it set at 55% the temps don't go over 75.

Trying to get down to 50 RH. You can see my tent is trending higher then my room environment, that's to be expected. If I lock up my dehumidifier in the room, then the total room temperature it's about 80. I can try for Sweet spot of 55 rh.

I'm only concerned about mold on my buds. My buddy said I should chill out it's a weed it can acclimate to the environment without issues.

Screenshot_20190907-122025__01.jpg

Trying to get down to 50 RH. You can see my tent is trending higher then my room environment, that's to be expected. If I lock up my dehumidifier in the room, then the total room temperature it's about 80. I can try for Sweet spot of 55 rh.

I'm only concerned about mold on my buds. My buddy said I should chill out it's a weed it can acclimate to the environment without issues.

Screenshot_20190907-122025__01.jpg

Yea to a degree he's right. These things are pretty resilient and are usually killed by kindness.

The big key to preventing mold on your plants is keeping plenty of airflow moving throughout the tent. 75-79° 55% good fans in the tent you should be fine

Back
Top Bottom