Caterpillars? Not today my beautiful flying worms, not today

I'm still using the netting (see above) and only remove about twice a week when I add nutes. Seems to be working well on these small plants. I may just be paranoid of the moths but last year I had several plants that were looking GREAT up until the caterpillars got to the buds. Ended up destroying 75% of the crop - the best buds. Still pissed off about that.

What do you think? Another week or so?
To me, I think you've got close to a month still. At least 2 or 3 more weeks.
I'm shooting for about 30% amber on the buds.
The yellow trichs on the frost leaves are burned from the sun (I think).
You should never look at the trichomes on the sugar leaves for harvest timing. They will always show amber prematurely. Just look at the ones on the buds (bract/calyx).

I grew up in the valley growing in smog alerts and brush fires. Your plants look like mine did getting daily bakes off the pool decking and reflections. Plus it was always a hot and muggy morning. I now am close to the coast in OC and the cooler temps and coastal breezes are like a daily hand job to these plants. They thrive. I’m impressed being only an hour from the valley and how it’s a different planet in terms of pot growing. Just wanted to share that. Sherman Oaks rules!

Update for Sunday 9/5/21
LA Pop Rocks is looking chunky as hell. The other two Wedding Cake are looking good - a bit droopy today from the heat but otherwise ok.

LA Pop Rocks

Wedding Cake 1

Wedding Cake 2

Unfortunately . . .

Zed, we got a bug!

Saw this damage yesterday so I sprayed all 3 plants with Safer / Bt.

I looked around and could not find any caterpillars. I see what looks like tiny droppings from something. Dammit!

I was hoping the nets would keep the critters away, but these guys are crawlers and I think they are crawling up around the bottom where I tie the netting.

Do you think they are the ones chewing my buds?

I grew up in the valley growing in smog alerts and brush fires. Your plants look like mine did getting daily bakes off the pool decking and reflections. Plus it was always a hot and muggy morning. I now am close to the coast in OC and the cooler temps and coastal breezes are like a daily hand job to these plants. They thrive. I’m impressed being only an hour from the valley and how it’s a different planet in terms of pot growing. Just wanted to share that. Sherman Oaks rules!
Yeah these plants - especially the two Wedding Cake - are struggling with the heat. A week ago temps were in the 80's and all 3 looked GREAT! After 4 days of temps around 100 they are looking droopy again. As it is they get shade after 2pm. Still too hot.

Maybe, can you look closely into any of the trouble spots? I only have had bud rot from moth worm poop as far as I know.
Yeah has to be caterpillars. I noticed the top of one bud (on a lower branch) was drying out. Not turning brown just drying out. I pulled on the dry portion and it came right off. Inside I saw what looked like caterpillar damage but so far I have not seen any caterpillars or poop. I snipped off the damaged bud and did an autopsy - no critters found. No other buds damaged yet (knock wood).

Also I have not seen my garden spider buddies lately so I guess I'm on my own now. Was hoping they would eat any invaders. I'm thinking about dropping a handful of lady bugs inside the netting.

I looked around and could not find any caterpillars. I see what looks like tiny droppings from something.
Gotta be there somewhere, and if there's one there's more coming.
Do you think they are the ones chewing my buds?
I highly doubt that termites would be eating your plant. The damage I see in your pics really looks like caterpillars.

Gotta be there somewhere, and if there's one there's more coming.

I highly doubt that termites would be eating your plant. The damage I see in your pics really looks like caterpillars.
Yeah gotta be caterpillars.
I'm on pins and needles right now. The one plant should be ready in another week or two (or 3). Sheesh I don't even know; these plants have been in flower / semi-flower / flower since June 4th. She is close but still some clear trichs and hardly any amber. I'll spray Bt once per week just in case. Do you think that will suffice until harvest? I've been checking twice a day (at least) for more damage but so far only the one bud casualty. Maybe I'll spray Bt every 3-4 days.
Great now I'm more paranoid. LOL

The netting seems to be working well. Not seeing any further bud damage. So far only two buds are casualties - about 7-8 grams total.
Was going to harvest today but still seeing some clear trichomes on the lower buds.

Back
Top Bottom