CFL Flower-Light Issues?

Wow guys, the title of the thread kinda scared me, but it was nice to see a good turn around.

Im a newb to the growing world but im looking to start with a 54"(H)x24"(D)x30"(W) and support 4 autoflowering ak47/blueberry plants by means of CFL. Any suggestions on wattage/bulbage.

I plan to line the inside of my cab with a polyiso foam with the shiny face in to reflect all the light around. Then with whatever arrangement of bulbs I can discover here, I plan to create some sort of reflector hood to wrap around them and direct the light downwards.

This is intended to be a stealth grow so I'm looking to keep wattage down (i.e. the reason for CFLs vs HID) and Ive seen enough people do it with several bulbs under 100w a piece. Any ideas guys, again awesome grow, just trying to learn what I can! :thanks:

I saw a effective operation in Michigan w/ 3 plants using 3- 100w CFL and 3 60w CFLs. They later added 2 more 60w CFLs on a split 'y' shaped socket in between the plants to get to the lower levels of growth during flowering. Of course the CFLs started w/ 5000 - 6500K during vegetation & when they began flowering the same wattage was converted gradually from 5600k to 2700k.
Also I might add there are different opinions on the reflective surfaces, you mentioned polyiso foam shiny face. The most effective results I have shared w/ growers was the white surface has a more even refraction / reflection. Still shop around but still here is a handle to grab..... and Good luck

So far ive got some 75W (19w act) 2700k, gonna go pick up 4 6500ks for veg and mix and match.

Over here in NH our poly foam has a dull gray with all the logos on 1 side and a high reflective (comparable to mylar) on the other..?

My idea with that foam was also to keep the warmer temperatures of the summer, likewise the colder temperatures out of the box. But if you think white could be better I can just roll the inside of my box with a white primer. Thanks for the info!

I made a structure/ reflector out of thick cardboard and rolled a white color w/ an eggshell finish over the surface to reflect the light - it worked great. You can still use the insulation which seems like a good idea but like you suggested maybe paint the surface. The wattage is fine you may pick it up w/ flowering a bit but it sounds like you have a good handle on things. check out the 'Grow Room' a lot of info both good and some questionable still if you read enough it is amazing what you will learn there.

Wow guys, the title of the thread kinda scared me, but it was nice to see a good turn around.

Im a newb to the growing world but im looking to start with a 54"(H)x24"(D)x30"(W) and support 4 autoflowering ak47/blueberry plants by means of CFL. Any suggestions on wattage/bulbage.

I plan to line the inside of my cab with a polyiso foam with the shiny face in to reflect all the light around. Then with whatever arrangement of bulbs I can discover here, I plan to create some sort of reflector hood to wrap around them and direct the light downwards.

This is intended to be a stealth grow so I'm looking to keep wattage down (i.e. the reason for CFLs vs HID) and Ive seen enough people do it with several bulbs under 100w a piece. Any ideas guys, again awesome grow, just trying to learn what I can! :thanks:

Hey Jwb, I just got through with a very small 2 plant grow, using nothing but CFLs. Imo, you may want to consider just a few more watts, as these plants really love the light, and will thank you for it in the long run. I had around 490 watts (actual watts) with a 125 actual watt 64k bulb, and 8 spirals in a mixed spectrum. I also had 2 pair of 4' t-12 florescent tubes, stood on end in opposite corners as supplimental. The 125 watter was in a hood/reflector, and cost me arounf 100 bucks, but you could probably find one cheaper on ebay or similar. I then used the clip type light fixtures with cheap 2-way splitters to hold my spirals, and just clipped them to the big hood, and angled the cfls wherever I thought they needed to be. Heat, though, IS an issue in a tight space like mine(2'x2' footprint!) so you will def need some way to vent...

Now, you say that since stealth is a concern. In my humble opinion, you may actually get better results using a small, 250w, or even smaller 150 watt hps for flowering. Watts are watts, and If you use HIDs as apposed to CFLs, you're likely to see better results in the long run, with roughly the smae wattage. Just my 2 cents. You can see pictures of my set up in my gallery, and if you go by my journal, there lots of guys who come by who have all used CFLs, and they are all very kind and helpful, so feel free to stop in and ask questions, learn and feel comfortable. Good luck on your quest bud!

Thanks for the input Q. But as this will be my first grow I'm just gonna try to keep it small scale (i say that) and hopefully soon be able to step up to the high rollers table with all your MH, HID and that good stuff.

Tomorrow Ill be building my cab and will try to get pictures within the next few days. I just hope that DWC will make up for what the CFLs lack.

Thanks for the input Q. But as this will be my first grow I'm just gonna try to keep it small scale (i say that) and hopefully soon be able to step up to the high rollers table with all your MH, HID and that good stuff.

Tomorrow Ill be building my cab and will try to get pictures within the next few days. I just hope that DWC will make up for what the CFLs lack.

You far better off w/CFLs in area you can not vent well. Heat kills and I am currently using 2190 actual watts of CFLs these past few grows in the flowering stage of my plants, I use 435 during vegetation stage. It's very important to move your CFLs during the flowering stage and you can mix spectrums at a 2:1 ratio ( two 2700k to one 6500k ) during flowering stage as well, get better bud that way....:goodluck:

thanks for the info. im hoping to create some sort of reflector that will house 8 CFLs, and like you said mix and match. Like for the veg I plan to use 5 or 6 6500k and 2 or 3 2500k, then swap it for flowering. And when you say move them around, you mean PHYSICALLY, like ive seen some people actually throw a couple CFLs on a cord and drop it down into the middle of the plants.

As far as ventilation goes I plan to have a total of 4 PC fans in 2 sets. One set of intake/outtake across the top, moving air past the lights, and one set down low to move air across the plants. I just need to figure out what size fans I need for a grow box with my dimensions soon. Thanks again!

Cool cool man, sounds like you have good plans with the fans n all, I'm sure you'll do well. It's always a bit nerve racking on your firs one, i'm only on my second REAL grow and its still that way for me, still lots to learn and get dialed in. If you happen to get a journal going, make sure to drop by n give me the link.:peacetwo:

I rotated the plants and turn them for the stationary lights on the top but you can also move the hanging lights that are dropped between/around plants which you will more than likely do if you rotate plants. As for ventilation use those small fans they have in computer towers $5-12.00 a piece..... Search Amazon: Computer Cooling Fans one on each side maybe intake at the bottom right side and the opposite side top for the other. Just picture air flow not too strong but enough. Anyway that is my thinking

I rotated the plants and turn them for the stationary lights on the top but you can also move the hanging lights that are dropped between/around plants which you will more than likely do if you rotate plants. As for ventilation use those small fans they have in computer towers $5-12.00 a piece..... Amazon: Computer Cooling Fans one on each side maybe intake at the bottom right side and the opposite side top for the other. Just picture air flow not too strong but enough. Anyway that is my thinking

cool, thanks for the info man!! any reccomendations on size? I read a chart on the forums but it didnt make toooo much sense, my footprint is roughly 30"x21" and height is 4', thanks again man.

I would get two computer fans like this... Cooler Master BladeMaster 120mm PWM High Air Flow Silent Case Fan R4-BMBS-20P ... Put one blowing 'out' near the top and one blowing 'in' near the bottom. If you need a filter you can stretch panty hose across a frame. You will have to make a mount and wire it but that is easy. If you need to increase the size of the fan go up to 140mm. They cost around $12

I would get two computer fans like this... Cooler Master BladeMaster 120mm PWM High Air Flow Silent Case Fan R4-BMBS-20P ... Put one blowing 'out' near the top and one blowing 'in' near the bottom. If you need a filter you can stretch panty hose across a frame. You will have to make a mount and wire it but that is easy. If you need to increase the size of the fan go up to 140mm. They cost around $12

I was lookin to kind of copy Stratologics setup here: Grow Box Construction

And put a fan intake/out take setup across the top portion of my cab, and then also mount another couple running across the bottom. Plus I will grab one for my ona bucket design im snagging from Chevyman, and just a 6th fan just incase one shits the bed, I have one on hand.

Are you using those fans you reccomend? JW what kind of an area they can clean out. My cab is about 4' tall, with a 30" by 21" base. Thanks a bunch man!!!

It is quite a piece of work - A bit rococo but it works fine. The only thing I would question is the reflective surfaces. You will get hot spots. :goodluck:

I just took a second look. The type of lights he is using are too much for that small enclosed space even w/ the squirrel Fans. I could only see using CFLs or LEDs in that situation and under 600w w/a watt replacement using only 138 w total or less. That looks dangerous.

i was just showing his method of fans. my intent was to build a reflector with 8 CFLs in it to do a 4 pot DWC grow.

my work in progress haha
step_32.jpg

At the top of your box in addition to your exhaust fan (near the top) another opening w/ acess by way of door (hinged or sliding) so that you can vent any heat build-up quickly. You could also put holes all around... Of course there are a lot of ways to vent keeping in mind 'heat goes up'.
Just thinking about the photo you sent......:tokin:
Another word if that top is 30 x 21" I would put a sliding door a little bigger then typing paper or 12" x 10".

Back
Top Bottom