CFL Flower-Light Issues?

At the top of your box in addition to your exhaust fan (near the top) another opening w/ acess by way of door (hinged or sliding) so that you can vent any heat build-up quickly. You could also put holes all around... Of course there are a lot of ways to vent keeping in mind 'heat goes up'.
Just thinking about the photo you sent......:tokin:
Another word if that top is 30 x 21" I would put a sliding door a little bigger then typing paper or 12" x 10".

Family issues came up and I had to halt building. I plan to permanently afix the rear panel, but the front panel will be hinged with an upper and lower latch to ensure a good snug fit. But thats interesting, a top hatch as well...hmmm

fader those trichomes are huge, good photo too. What is the plant? I will have some photos soon. Going to MI for a visit.

fader those trichomes are huge, good photo too. What is the plant? I will have some photos soon. Going to MI for a visit.

It's my Landrace Colombian Gold and Blue Widow under +1290watts of CFLs, day 30 into flowering......thanks art fog....this photo of CFL's is the right side of my grow closet, plant LCGold

P2210028.JPG

i was just showing his method of fans. my intent was to build a reflector with 8 CFLs in it to do a 4 pot DWC grow.

my work in progress haha
step_32.jpg

Looks good bro, I kinda wish I had an actual cab, that way I could install fans wherever I want...My little closet opp is pretty ghetto, but It gets the job done. Keep up the good work man...

It's my Landrace Colombian Gold and Blue Widow under +1290watts of CFLs, day 30 into flowering......thanks art fog....this photo of CFL's is the right side of my grow closet, plant LCGold

P2210028.JPG

Very nice bro, looks like you're doing just fine with all those CFLs. Sorry If I missed it in a previous post, but what are you doing about the heat? I know how hot those fuc*ers get! No big deal with just a few, but get a bunch of them together and wheeew!

Looks good bro, I kinda wish I had an actual cab, that way I could install fans wherever I want...My little closet opp is pretty ghetto, but It gets the job done. Keep up the good work man...

thanks man, havent gotten to work on it since sunday. might get back into the shop tomorrow to finish sheathing it, and painting it this weekend.

Very nice bro, looks like you're doing just fine with all those CFLs. Sorry If I missed it in a previous post, but what are you doing about the heat? I know how hot those fuc*ers get! No big deal with just a few, but get a bunch of them together and wheeew!

I get ask allot about the heat... It never exceeds 90 degrees, mostly about 84 degress.... My closet door is louvered, I have two 8" fans pulling air thru the louvers from the adjacent room, I have no exhaust except just nature flow upwards thru the stairwell, besides the two 8" fans create enough static air pressure to actually push air up thru the stairswell. When the light go off each day at 4:00 PM, the intire house fills up w/the smell of bud....the fans run 24/7......my closet is 4'x3.5'x9', just under 12 sqft, plenty of grow space for 4 plants, my 1st grow had 7 plants....my last harvest got 15 glass pint jars of sticky, sweet smelling, awesome tasting, stellar buzz from 3 Landrace Colombian Gold and a single Blue Widow plant........:peacetwo:

Holy friggen CFL's batman!!!

My current "active" CFL count is:
five 105watts, 5000 lumen
five 65watts, 3200 lumen
four 55watt, 3080 lumen
four 42watt, 2800 lumen
ten 26watt, 1860 lumen, mixed spectrum of 2700k & 6500k
23 clamp-on fixtures, also have five 85watt, 6500k, 4850 lumen. I put those into play when I switch to a 08/16 light schedule for maturity and ripening 12-14 days b4 the cut, I go dark for 48 hours b4 the cut as well...

Burning 1,243watts, 83,000 lumen, roughly 300watts/plant & 20,000 lumen/plant.....only way to cook w/CFLS imo, temps never exceed 90 degrees, rez. water/nutes at 60 degrees, air pump, fans run 24/7, micro-sprayer sprays roots, via submerged rez.-pump, every 1 minute-on, off-10 minutes, then re-sprays the roots again....does this 6 to 7x/hour, 24/7...it's aero-hydro growing....best way to grow bud w/oxygenated water & nutes imo.....

damn, up till now Ive been thinking of going with an 8CFL DIY reflector jobby over a 4plant DWC. but some guys at work recommended looking into T8s.

I looked at running 4x 24" T8 bulbs with a couple CFL supplementary lights. But I had heard that T8s wont penetrate the plants mass. Any feedback?

damn, up till now Ive been thinking of going with an 8CFL DIY reflector jobby over a 4plant DWC. but some guys at work recommended looking into T8s.

I looked at running 4x 24" T8 bulbs with a couple CFL supplementary lights. But I had heard that T8s wont penetrate the plants mass. Any feedback?

Do you know what watt and lumen from the T8's... I have seen some awesome fluro's grows from seed to finish....I had thought about taking T5's or T8's to mount vertically on my walls in the closet, but cost way to much....

I have also seen CFL light fixtures made from the round exhaust ductwork from clothes dryers and even aluminum roasting pans as well....it worked!

For the bulbs I was looking at two each of these

Zoo Med Ultra Sun Trichromatic Super Daylight 6500K Fluorescent Bulb T8 17 Watt, 24-Inch
by Zoo Med

and

Zoo Med Coral Flora Sun Plant Growth Bulb T8 17 Watts, 24-Inch

then probably 4 supplementary CFLs at 2500k

t8's are low wattage a 4 foot tube is 32 watts, and are not good unless your plants are within 5 inches of the bulb. good for clones only.

t5's are high output a 4 foot tube is 54 watts. a 2 foot tube is just half of that at 27 watts. good for veg cycle/budding and clones. also needs to be close to plant.

there's also very high output (vho). a 4 foot tube is 96 watts.very good for veg. and budding. its also a t5. very expensive. but they are awesome.

id recommend regular t5's. 4 foot tubes. because you can never have enough light.
i use hps/mh. and led's for supplemental light. i also use 6 inch clamp reflectors w/cfls 6500k,5900k and 2700k's. the clamp reflectors make it easy to get as close as i can to the plant. you can move them around and position them in any spot.:goodluck:

t8's are low wattage a 4 foot tube is 32 watts, and are not good unless your plants are within 5 inches of the bulb. good for clones only.

t5's are high output a 4 foot tube is 54 watts. a 2 foot tube is just half of that at 27 watts. good for veg cycle/budding and clones. also needs to be close to plant.

there's also very high output (vho). a 4 foot tube is 96 watts.very good for veg. and budding. its also a t5. very expensive. but they are awesome.

id recommend regular t5's. 4 foot tubes. because you can never have enough light.
i use hps/mh. and led's for supplemental light. i also use 6 inch clamp reflectors w/cfls 6500k,5900k and 2700k's. the clamp reflectors make it easy to get as close as i can to the plant. you can move them around and position them in any spot.:goodluck:

I agree....Although T-5s are really expensive....I use T-12s in the corners of my little space, stood vertically, just as suplimental. They're around 10 bucks for a 4' x 2 tube fixture, and they run cool, but that's about all they're good for....

For the bulbs I was looking at two each of these

Zoo Med Ultra Sun Trichromatic Super Daylight 6500K Fluorescent Bulb T8 17 Watt, 24-Inch
by Zoo Med

and

Zoo Med Coral Flora Sun Plant Growth Bulb T8 17 Watts, 24-Inch

then probably 4 supplementary CFLs at 2500k

For the money, you may be better off with some 7 dollar clip on reflectors with the 40w 65k spirals from HD my friend...add some splitters for 3 bucks each and double up on bulbs, but watch that heat...

I picked up a T5 2 FOOT 4 bulb fixture to hang from the top, then I also have 2 more 2 Foot T8 fixtures I can hang on the side or use CFLs for supplemental lighting. We'll see what this fixture can put out first.

that's nice t5 is the way to go. this way you can put a 6500k tube, 2700k, or what ever spectrum you want. is it 108 watts?
good for veg and clones too. good luck.

that's nice t5 is the way to go. this way you can put a 6500k tube, 2700k, or what ever spectrum you want. is it 108 watts?
good for veg and clones too. good luck.

Doesnt happen to mention which size wattage of bulbs it takes..light and I'm hoping I can use them the whole way through for autoflower lowryders with some CFL supplements.

if i remember correctly the 24 inch lamps are 24 watts each. 24 watts x4=96 total watts. im pretty sure its 24 watts per bulb.
you could grow autoflower plants w/ t5 fixture. and side cfls. just get those lights as close to the plant as possible w/ out burning the plant. keep plants about 3-4 inches away from lights, reflective material/film, and you'll do just fine. good luck w/ the autos. im germ'n 10 shortryder fem. seeds from nirvana right now. ill be doing inside/outside grow. 2 400watt 7500k ushio opti-blue metal halide bulbs for inside, and outside during the daylight hours.:goodluck:

When I started my 2nd grow I had placed several wood ribbing in/on the exposed walls in my grow closet to attach light refectors.....has worked for me, even in the re-grow....

P7130004.JPG

Regarding how close one can get to the bud w/cfls, I always place my upper hand under the cfl and if I can hold there for like ever, thats close enough

P2210028.JPG

Light schedules I use thru-out my grows w/my CFLs

1.Vegetation: 24hrs/day

2.Flwr switch over: 12/12 for 10-12 days/pistil hairs

3.Enhance flower production: 10/14 for 2 weeks to increase flower rate growth, back to 12/12

4.Cola growth/develp: 12/12 until final est. 10 days

5.Ripen, maturity: 08/16 upto the cut....

Back
Top Bottom