Cheap fans?

I bought 2 discount oscillating fans that clip onto the vertical poles holding up the corners of my tent, during my last grow. They looked good and at the time I gave them a good review on my journal and even had another member comment about my choice of that brand.
Today, several months later, my review has changed. One of the fans no longer oscillates after having been caught for a night in a spot where the tent restricted its access to be able to turn. After a night of this, the plastic part stripped out and the fan will no longer oscillate more than 2 turns. That is probably my fault.
The second fan is still oscillating, but after cycling the power on it the other day I realized that it is not going to be too long before it will no longer be able to start on its own... the works are starting to get gunked up with dust. I will clean that fan soon and try to lubricate it with some good fan oil.
All in all, I think I would have been better off buying higher quality fans at the start. It will just be a matter of 2 or maybe 3 grows, and I will be needing to replace these budget fans with something a little more robust.

I’ve got similar shi@ fans but they don’t rotate. I think one of the criteria is how easy they are to clean. Seeing the black in them makes me wonder about all the others. How long do spores hang about? I’ve never cleaned the fans for the lights. I assume the filter keeps the extractor fan clean. :bongrip: I wiped down the tent with H2O2 before this grow, but it never really occurred to me about the rest. :bong: I suppose I’ll do it after this grow is over.

I’ve got similar shi@ fans but they don’t rotate. I think one of the criteria is how easy they are to clean. Seeing the black in them makes me wonder about all the others. How long do spores hang about? I’ve never cleaned the fans for the lights. I assume the filter keeps the extractor fan clean. :bongrip:
most fans are pretty easy to clean, event he engine, i actually recently disassembled and cleaned a fan that is over 40 years old, it stopped working due to the fact that the engine had no lubrication, took it apart, sprayed some wd-40 in it, put it back together, and it's ready for another 40 years of service!

stuff made in the past was made to last, can't even think of how many things i have that were my grandmothers, and still work today.

I bought 2 discount oscillating fans that clip onto the vertical poles holding up the corners of my tent, during my last grow. They looked good and at the time I gave them a good review on my journal and even had another member comment about my choice of that brand.
Today, several months later, my review has changed. One of the fans no longer oscillates after having been caught for a night in a spot where the tent restricted its access to be able to turn. After a night of this, the plastic part stripped out and the fan will no longer oscillate more than 2 turns. That is probably my fault.
The second fan is still oscillating, but after cycling the power on it the other day I realized that it is not going to be too long before it will no longer be able to start on its own... the works are starting to get gunked up with dust. I will clean that fan soon and try to lubricate it with some good fan oil.
All in all, I think I would have been better off buying higher quality fans at the start. It will just be a matter of 2 or maybe 3 grows, and I will be needing to replace these budget fans with something a little more robust.
what i wonder is, how strong does the airflow need to be?

considering my closet it completely open, so it has fresh air coming in from the house....

Good airflow not only provides fresh co2 to places in the tent that may have had dead air and depleted without the fan, but it also exercises the plants and helps to evaporate the moisture they are expelling from the leaves. Constant air movement prevents mold and mildew problems most importantly by keeping that air moving. Any airflow is better than none, and too much is when the plants are having to misshape themselves in order to deal with the gales. Keep the air moving... you will be glad you did after the first time you don't and because of it you end up with a mildew situation.

Good airflow not only provides fresh co2 to places in the tent that may have had dead air and depleted without the fan, but it also exercises the plants and helps to evaporate the moisture they are expelling from the leaves. Constant air movement prevents mold and mildew problems most importantly by keeping that air moving. Any airflow is better than none, and too much is when the plants are having to misshape themselves in order to deal with the gales. Keep the air moving... you will be glad you did after the first time you don't and because of it you end up with a mildew situation.
i see, would you say a small desk fan (for example those usb powered ones that draw 20w is enough?)

Back
Top Bottom