Clonex for too long?

Redoctober

Due to an unfortunate series of circumstances, my aero system has not been able to be completed. Therefore, my clones have been sitting in my aero cloner for over a month now with nothing but clonex solution. I have weakened the strength of the solution to about 300-350 ppm and keep the pH between 5.8-6.2. Some of the clones still have not developed roots even after 5 weeks in the cloner, while others have long roots now for several weeks. The only reason I am still using the clonex is for the benefit of the clones that haven't developed roots yet, and also because I didn't want the others that have rooted to explode with growth while still in the cloner. The plants are growing and seem to be doing all right, but they appear to be mutating. They don't even really resemble MJ plants anymore, they look more like houseplants i.e. they have 2-3 leaves instead of 5, and the leaves are short and round with very little ribbing(or whatever it's called). Some leaves are crumpled or grow with tips that turn at a 90 degree angle.

Is this phenomenon being caused by the clonex hormone?
Have I irreparably mutated/damaged the plants by keeping them in the clonex for so long?
Should I switch over to normal nutrients?
Might anyone have any ideas why most clones would root in 2-3 weeks but some still not sprouting after 5 weeks (I do see root bumps)?

I think 5 weeks is an excessive time for no roots. I usually get roots within 5 days. I've only run 3 attempts at cloning and had 100% results each time. I loosely follow the techniques that Kara does, you can find them in her jouranl Kara's Bible - Hybrid DIY Recirculating DWC System - Master Kush Grow she has a ton of great information on there.

I only leave the cloning solution in for a few day (I use Olivia's) and then I follow the nute table on the Cutting Edge Solutions (the basic nutes I use) and have great results.

I am using a DIY ez cloner with the addition of a pond fogger on a cycle timer (3 minutes on, 15 off to prevent the res from heating up). Once I have roots starting to show, about 5 days, I turn off the fogger and just use the sprayers.

Thanks for the link steve, I'll dive into that right now. I can't figure it out either. Most people report exactly what you did which is roots after about 5 days or so. I was scratching my head after not seeing roots for 14 days, after which point I put a recycle timer on the aero cloner and ran it for 1 min on 5 min off. I read a bunch of posts where people had theories that providing constant water to the stems might actually be hindering root development because it wasn't forcing the roots to seek out water. Whether this is true or not, I don't know but I tried it because the other method didn't seem to be doing anything. I also lessened the dose of clonex slightly.

So for your method, would you only switch over to normal nutrient solution after you saw some root development e.g. root bumps, or do you switch after a few days regardless of whether or not you see any roots?

I switch over nutes at or before the 5th day. Kara recommends after the second day. I never have any issues. There are some guys here that just use plain water to clone, in a cup on the windows sill--and they have success.

Not sure about the constant water impeding the root growth. EZ Cloners and Power Cloners rely on a constant spray of water and my system is based on that design. Roots in 5-7 days like clockwork.

steve did you make your own ?

Dex,
I made one out of a rubbermaid tote, 24 2 inch net pots, some 1/2 pvc a pump an air pump and some spray heads. I'll take a pic later today and post. Real simple design, everything was less than $50. I do plan on changing out the pump though for a higher output model so the sprayer won't clog as easily (maybe a 250 mag-drive).

Back
Top Bottom