Cloning Help 8 days 0 roots

SmokyMcPot247

hey guys here's a random question about 8 days ago i took my first batch of clones ever, as I am new to indoor growing. I used 1.5" rockwool cubes, when i took the clones i had no ph down so the cubes were soaked in a ph of 7.0, i used root tech gel w/ 45 degree cuts approximately 4 or 5 nodes down i scraped lower inch of stem an sliced up the middle of bottom edge, i trimmed lowest node off as well as tips of upper fan leaves. the clones are in a tray w/ a humidity dome that i air out occasionally when I'm working and i mist inside dome to keep humidity high. the only source of light they are receiving is indirect from a 600w Mh that is about 7 or 8 feet away. Temperature in the dome maintains low to mid 70's and humidity is never under 60%. They look healthy not wilted but after cutting away a couple rock wool cubes to see if i had any root growth i see none. i understand ph should have been lowered prior and might be the entire issue for all i know. My question is where did i go wrong can they still be salvaged? what should i do, wait and see what happens, set up a bubble cloner and put them in that instead, help idk what i should do! If there a total loss I'm fine with it my main justification for taking them was i wanted to get my mothers branching out so next session I would have more to clip plus a little practice to build on my technique. Any one have any suggestions for me Thanks

the light might be a bit strong for them , id use a couple of cfl , some clones can take ages some not so long , have some going my self in a bubble cloner 5 days and nothing yet , depends on the plat they came off also , how old how young ect ect i would give it another 5 days and then see

hey thanks for the quick reply Nutty, light is a possibility but ive also used a black pillowcase on the top w/ a large white piece of paper over that light seems very mild when you look through sides, as for strain they are og kush the person i purchased my mothers off of clones in a aeroponics table and they are fully rooted in 10 to 14 days on average

p.s. mothers ages are approximately 3 months

thanks... except the ph, I felt confident i would have a high success rate but now my expectations have lowered greatly, any suggestions on how wet my rockwool should be, there are no puddles in tray but if i pick them up and squeeze them they are filled w/ water.

i was really excited to see the lower leaves start to yellow after 3 days as i understand thats a sign of root development as far as i know now im beginning to feel like there just using there stored nutrients to stay alive instead of generate roots, that there just gonna keep draining themselves to they run out of food then die....

the rock wool should not be too wet , other thought is air bubble in stem , when i cut my clones i put them straight into water , i have a tub of water right beside me,. soon as i cut it goes in there , then i cut under water the 45 degree angle then i scrape and dip in gel or powder , try lower ph a bit to see if it helps

ill def give them some time and see what happens in the mean time should i put them in a bubbler, are bubbler success rates higher for ppl then just using rock wool w/ dome also fig might be a good way to make sure the ph adjust in the rockwool originally when i got my ph solution approximately 3 days in I filled the tray w/ ph of 5.5 to help adjust ill take a ph sample from the cubes now and see where they stand

just checked ph Its at 8.0 !!! why would it jump so high thats higher then my water comes out? im going to set up bubbler w/ a 5.5 solution and keep checking it hourly till its maintaining 5.5

I'm no expert, sounds like hood advise(to give them more time).
I use a a buble type cloner, some times It takes 10 days to start growing roots, one the roots start they come on pretty fast.
As long as they look good, try to be more paitiencet

Since the topic is here and I'm a free source minded kind of guy I thought I'd share what I have learnt about cloning over the last 20 years. Firstly cloning gels are a rip off product. Please don't take offense, as most would after purchasing something and then have someone tell them its a rip off. I would strongly suggest you purchase one or both of the next two items I'm going to share and explain in detail why.

Honey Honey is without a doubt the most common item found in most homes that works just as good as cloning gel does. The less processed the better. If you can get your hands on organic honey is ideal and a bucket load cheaper than cloning gel. You use it in the same fashion and you will get the same results.

Aloe vera plant I use this method pretty much and nothing but. Rock wool or Rapid rooter is needed in this method. Plant a couple aloe vera plants. They grow fast and will give you SOOO much more for the health and vitality of your plants. When you want to rot clones take your cutting and place them in a glass of water mixed with the insides of a single stem from your aloe vera plant no longer than maybe 5 inches in length. After 24 hours of soaking under vegetative lighting, place into your Rock wool and Rapid rooter which you can also soak with the same concentration. I use RO water and don't mess with the pH, My pH bounces between 7-7.5. This will also give you Aloe for awesome foliar sprays for your plants or even medium drenches.

Like Nutty professor mentioned the length in time of roots showing is dictated by many factors one being genetics and more specifically the strength of the specific pheno of that strain being cloned.

I've found that no matter the plant. The health and stage of life the plant is in dictates the strength and likeliness of a cut taking root.

A little added info is that some strains even lose strength and potency after cloning especially in the unlikely chance they happen to be Polyploid. As Cannabis plants tend to be diploids. Diploids have a single set of chromosomes as where Polyploid have an extra set. They grow slower but give you large yields at its full potential as the Trichome becomes larger than normal so in turn the total % of THC and other Cannibinoids are increase significantly. If you've ever smoked a strain turned Polyploid then you will REALLY experience something else. Here is a link on an overview on the process of creating Polyploids. How to Create a Polyploid . Let me make it clear this process is using toxic materials. I do everything as organic as possible in my life so this might seem surprising coming from me to those who are familiar with me on here. This is influencing something at chromosome level essentially creating GMO's. Genetically modifying the potential size the plant can grow to encompassing all factors of flower, stem, trichomes production and overall amplified yield.

Unless you have an over abundance of reflective material in your room or you have them directly under those MH's, the light shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers

I hope this helps.

Since the topic is here and I'm a free source minded kind of guy I thought I'd share what I have learnt about cloning over the last 20 years. Firstly cloning gels are a rip off product. Please don't take offense, as most would after purchasing something and then have someone tell them its a rip off. I would strongly suggest you purchase one or both of the next two items I'm going to share and explain in detail why.

Honey Honey is without a doubt the most common item found in most homes that works just as good as cloning gel does. The less processed the better. If you can get your hands on organic honey is ideal and a bucket load cheaper than cloning gel. You use it in the same fashion and you will get the same results.

Aloe vera plant I use this method pretty much and nothing but. Rock wool or Rapid rooter is needed in this method. Plant a couple aloe vera plants. They grow fast and will give you SOOO much more for the health and vitality of your plants. When you want to rot clones take your cutting and place them in a glass of water mixed with the insides of a single stem from your aloe vera plant no longer than maybe 5 inches in length. After 24 hours of soaking under vegetative lighting, place into your Rock wool and Rapid rooter which you can also soak with the same concentration. I use RO water and don't mess with the pH, My pH bounces between 7-7.5. This will also give you Aloe for awesome foliar sprays for your plants or even medium drenches.

Like Nutty professor mentioned the length in time of roots showing is dictated by many factors one being genetics and more specifically the strength of the specific pheno of that strain being cloned.

I've found that no matter the plant. The health and stage of life the plant is in dictates the strength and likeliness of a cut taking root.

A little added info is that some strains even lose strength and potency after cloning especially in the unlikely chance they happen to be Polyploid. As Cannabis plants tend to be diploids. Diploids have a single set of chromosomes as where Polyploid have an extra set. They grow slower but give you large yields at its full potential as the Trichome becomes larger than normal so in turn the total % of THC and other Cannibinoids are increase significantly. If you've ever smoked a strain turned Polyploid then you will REALLY experience something else. Here is a link on an overview on the process of creating Polyploids. How to Create a Polyploid . Let me make it clear this process is using toxic materials. I do everything as organic as possible in my life so this might seem surprising coming from me to those who are familiar with me on here. This is influencing something at chromosome level essentially creating GMO's. Genetically modifying the potential size the plant can grow to encompassing all factors of flower, stem, trichomes production and overall amplified yield.

Unless you have an over abundance of reflective material in your room or you have them directly under those MH's, the light shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions and info all. looks like ill paying a visit to my mother and coercing her into giving up one of her aloe plants!

awesome so your essentially replace the root gel w/ aloe! amazing!!! They get all the right stuff to root, doesn't cloning gel contain special growth hormones? also I've read using a cloning solution doesn't really have a significant effect, whats is everyone's input on this? Suggestions, currently only nuts i have is a three gal set of gen hydroponic flora series, ph up n down, i plan on stopping in the hardware store to pick up acid to just make my own, and my root tech, I have read about other deficiencies like magnesium, should i have anything in particular on hand help a noob out :) Thanks guys !!!

I run a 5 gal aeroponic setup with a misting sprinkler under the plants & I've had 100% success rate since switching my clones to the system. It's simple brother, just do a little research on aeroponics. It's the way to go for sure

LOL Do a little research, Done that brother i have an extra pump already, 50 2" net pots and i have a bag of 100 misters plus bit and plenty of 3/4 pvc was planning on building one w/ totes but it leaked lol so i gave up forgot about the 5 gal container system duh! the only thing i don't have are the neoprene inserts :(

Don't worry about it, and be patient as the others have said.

Too much water will slow, or prevent root growth. I took 4 cuttings on March 25. 1 died.

2 are rooted, and 1 hasn't rooted yet, but is still alive a month later, and might still root.

After 14 days, if you see no roots, my advice would be to reapply rooting hormone, and reinsert into your rooting medium. That worked for my 2nd clone that is now rooted, and I have reapplied to my 3rd clone, just waiting to see roots now.

Foliar spraying will help, humidity domes help too. Just be patient.

Mine were also taken in flower, so it takes a bit longer, but most people say up to 14 days on average to root. Some can take a little longer. Just don't worry about it, smoke a bowl and relax.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom