Cloning the male plant?

HigherDrifter

Okay...here's what I've got right now - a stripped down male with newly formed pollen sacs:

LonelyMale.jpg

Here are some new pics just taken a moment ago of the pollen sacs:

PollenSacs_5.jpg
PollenSacs_4.jpg
PollenSacs_3.jpg

I would like to chop it (probably no more than 18 inches from the top of the main cola), then stick it in a bucket with water and plant food.

The bucket's gonna have some foil over the top plus the bucket itself (with the plant in it) will be placed on a sheet of foil. I was thinking about keeping it indoors near a window with a decent amount of sunlight coming through it. Also thinking about putting in the front yard (out of view)

Questions:

Will this work?:hmmmm:

Will the plant continue developing the pollen sacs sitting in a bucket of water (w/plant food) and, more than likely, reduced sunlight (I have no grow-lights)?:hmmmm:

I'm probably wrong but it appears similar to "cloning".:scratchinghead:

Any input would be appreciated.

:thanks:

I've stripped down the male plant even more.

Taking a big chance with this. I do want to pollinate some of my buds. With the amount of pruning I did, I'm sure there's gonna be some shock and the plant has been set back some. I just hope it's not in too much shock to keep them pollen sacs from ripening.

LonelyMale_2.jpg

You like to play dangerous games my friend... props!

It will be interesting to see... if I am hearing you right, you have cut that top piece off of the stripped down plant.

IMNSHO it would have been better to take it from the bottom... that's another thread... LOL

The way I see it... as far as a clone goes it should be void of the shock from such a severe pruning on the plant it was removed from.

I do however think that much like a female... it will take much longer to root a cutting from a plant so far along in flower... it can be done, it just takes longer!

I don't know about "ripening it in a glass of fluid... seems to me you would need to change the fluid out often to maintain oxygen content.

I hope I don't forget to check back on this thread, I am wanting to see how you do w/it!

You like to play dangerous games my friend... props!

No...I wouldn't say that about myself. Risky, perhaps, but not dangerous. If the Cannabis plant is as adaptable as I think it is...I mean we're talkin 'bout a plant that's probably been around since the time of the Dinosaurs, it will survive. Whether or not the severe pruning that I did will still make it capable of producing pollen is another story altogether.

It will be interesting to see... if I am hearing you right, you have cut that top piece off of the stripped down plant.

Nah...I have not cut the top piece. So, in other words, it's still in the ground :laughtwo: I mean it looks like a tall skinny stick coming out of the ground. Yes - the plant has been stripped of all but a few of it's branches, the last bottom branch is within...I'd say 10 inches from the top of the main cola.

I have only thought about chopping it completely. If I actually do that I'm assuming that I will have to wait till the pollen sacs are near ripe enough to split open and start dropping pollen. As you can see in the pollen sac pics they look like they've got a while to go before they're matured enough. With the amount of pruning I've just done, it may take them a while longer IDK.

I don't know about "ripening it in a glass of fluid... seems to me you would need to change the fluid out often to maintain oxygen content.

I have seen pictures of someone doing just that. They've got the chopped male (oh, maybe only a foot and a half tall) in a tall glass of water, IDK if they added any nutes to it or not, sitting on a piece of foil, indoors, near a window, and you can see the pollen particles that have dropped onto the foil.

I hope I don't forget to check back on this thread, I am wanting to see how you do w/it!

:laughtwo: Yeah...you and me both. I reckon there might be lots of other people interested if this works out or not.

I do want to pollinate some of my buds.

Take care that you do not end up pollinating ALL of them (and your neighbors' as well), lol. Hope you get that thing into quarantined environment soonest.

Whatever you do to it, if it stays healthy it'll blow enough pollen to make more seeds than you'll probably want. And if it dies... Well, it's last act as a living plant will probably be to do the same.

Take care that you do not end up pollinating ALL of them (and your neighbors' as well), lol. Hope you get that thing into quarantined environment soonest.

Yep. That's what I'm working towards. The pollen sacs are still quite young, but I am keeping some watchful eyes on them.

I'm not exactly sure when the nuts first began developing, since there were no signs of sexing on the lower branches and colas of the plant. It wasn't until I got up on the ladder to inspect the very top branches and colas that I saw the newly formed pollen sacs. I'm estimating them at about 2 weeks, could be more, could be less...IDK.

If the pics I pasted on this thread are any indication to someone more experienced than I...you're thoughts on how far along they are and how much longer till they're ready to split and drop pollen...are most welcome.

Am I making any fucking sense? :loopy: :biglaugh:

;)
:)

I just spotted some good sized nuts amongst the smaller ones. According to many pollen sac pics that I've have seen it looks like the sacs are approx. 3/16th of an inch in size and turning kinda yellowish.

I've gone ahead and chopped the male.

Some of the pollen sacs were substantially larger than the smaller ones.

Got it sittin on the floor freezer in a container with water and some plant food in it.

Big risk, but...who knows. Might get some viable pollen.

Chopped_Male.jpg

The risky game I was talking about was keeping that male next to your ladies... LOL

Oh...I gotcha.

Interesting.

I didn't think the poor chap was going to make it...looking all limp and everything.

I stuck him outside in the sun most of the day and, waa laa...he's perked up quite a bit. Quite an improvement since the last pic was taken:

Chopped_Male_2.jpg

Hmmmm.
Turns out I've got a grow-light after all. I always though it was a standard flourescent ...

ChoppedMale_345.jpg

This guy keeps looking better and better all the time.

;)

:lot-o-toke:

:rollit:

:tokin:

:bump:

The pollen sacs are getting bigger. A number of them are starting to turn yellow. One of them looks like it's getting ready to split open:

ChoppedMale_67.jpg

Hmmmm....

A beautiful Green Lacewing decided to pay me a visit, looking for some aphids and spider mites, I reckon:

Lacewing1_2.jpg

Hope he/she doesn't snort my pollen....

DO you know what strain he's closest too?

I really don't know. A couple of years ago some dude gave me a vial of seeds saying he did some casual potluck crossbreeding thing up in Oregon; he never mentioned any specific strains.

he looks sativa dom...

Yeah...probably is. The original plant, from outside, got over 8 feet tall before I chopped it about 18 inches from the top of the main cola.

Kinda off-topic, but...I've got 2 females in my backyard, both are over 8 foot tall and one of them's got to be nearing 9 foot by now. It's been 9 days since I took this picture:

Mystery_Queen.jpg

Wow 8-9ft?!! what do you feed those plants!!

so for all you know, he can be a unique strain no one else has smoked!
and so are you using him to make seeds of ur own?? and if so which lucky female will u be choosing to bare his seeds??

HAH....

I just took this pic minutes ago...

Fucking Beautiful Mystery Queen is over 9 foot tall now!!!

Mystery_Queen_2.jpg

what do you feed those plants!!

Nothing special, sorta. Tilled in a good gob of rich compost and kept a thick layer of mulch around all the plants. Watered them roughly once a week. Since they started flowering I've been feeding them some dried Banana Peel Tea mixed in with some of last year's Fig Beetle Soup.

so are you using him to make seeds of ur own??

Hell yeah. Whatever strain this is...I wanna keep it for keeps sake.

so which lucky female will u be choosing to bare his seeds??

:hmmmm: Hmmmm....

Maybe both....? I'm not even sure both females are of the same strain. The tallest one has got some red leaf stem, whereas the shorter (not by much) one does not.

If you notice on the left, that's the remaining stalk of the male that I've got cloning inside the house.

those are some amazing plants!!! +REP!!

Just keep Doing What ur doing, and ur going to have pounds of shmoke!!!
I wish i could Grow my ladies to that size, but being indoors..... itll never happen!!!

How long Did you vegg them for???
how long have they been Flowering..... im assuming a lil while? as it is flowering season here in SoCal...... i see you stay in Riverside, the ladies must love the HEAT out there!!

Back
Top Bottom