Coco no till mix

Hi I have a question about no till Coco mix anybody can say if that mix would be ok ?
per 50L base mix:

Coco/compost/aeration
2 Cup Kelp

2 Cup Neem

1 Cup Fish

1 Cup Frass

1 Cup Krill

3 Cup Gypsum

6 Cup Basalt
Looking up some coco coir "basic no-till soil mixes" there still is the holy trinity of 1/3 each of compost/soils, aeration and the coco. The amendments you are thinking of are the usual recommended ones but I have no idea of what the amounts should be for a 50 liters of the basic mix.

You could look though some of the sub forums found within the main forum called "Growers Forums". There is one specific to coco called Coco Growing. Also check the couple of forums with the journals, both Journals In Progress and Completed Journals. This way you can read up on what some have done by experimenting for a grow or two and then moving on. Any there will the the threads in which someone has been using no-till style of coco mixes for many, many grows and their refining of the types of additives and amounts .

Also do a google search (or your favorite search engine) using the key words of:
No Till Coco Mix

I tried it and was surprised just how much info was showing up compared to several years ago. Many of the first links that appeared were pointing back to some other marijuana growing message boards and I skipped over those. Then it got interesting when I found some articles from agricultural sites and individuals who are experimenting with using coco coir as a base for the soil mixes instead of peat moss.

Hi I have a question about no till Coco mix anybody can say if that mix would be ok ?
per 50L base mix:

Coco/compost/aeration
2 Cup Kelp

2 Cup Neem

1 Cup Fish

1 Cup Frass

1 Cup Krill

3 Cup Gypsum

6 Cup Basalt
Hello @Virandell hope you are well my friend.
I put Bokashi and Frass & Dazzle in my coco the roots love it.
I can't say about the rest of the ingredients as I don't use them.
Its almost like the soil mix i made for outside but never got to use it.
I'm not sure how they would work in coco though.
Happy growing.
Bill

Recipe looks interesting. I'm looking for some long term Calcium and dont see it.

See if you can source some crustacean meal aka crab/shrimp/lobster meal whatever is in season. This will be ground up shells and its somewhat coarse and takes time to decomp so its a good long term release.

There are a few "gotchas" with Choir. Salinity and pesticides being the biggies.

I really like the simplicity of this mix. I think with a little long term Ca amendments its a winner.

Recipe looks interesting. I'm looking for some long term Calcium and dont see it.

See if you can source some crustacean meal aka crab/shrimp/lobster meal whatever is in season. This will be ground up shells and its somewhat coarse and takes time to decomp so its a good long term release.

There are a few "gotchas" with Choir. Salinity and pesticides being the biggies.

I really like the simplicity of this mix. I think with a little long term Ca amendments its a winner.
Thanks alot buddy it's does have a crustacean meal I writed Krill meal which is crustacean meal :)
I am not sure if I should do peat based and later on in the future I could add Coco to peat based mix or that would make problems ?

It'll work, just have to wash it really well as it's likely to have sodium in it.

I personally prefer peat moss because of the higher CEC ratio, that its more acidic than coco so I can add more alkaline amendments and stay in that 6.2-6.5 sweet spot.
I have a good source of Coco from the guys what selling all the living soil amandents in UK.
I read the peat moss is actually better the problem is they will be banning it in UK but I have still time to build peat based mix :)

Hello @Virandell hope you are well my friend.
I put Bokashi and Frass & Dazzle in my coco the roots love it.
I can't say about the rest of the ingredients as I don't use them.
Its almost like the soil mix i made for outside but never got to use it.
I'm not sure how they would work in coco though.
Happy growing.
Bill
Thanks alot for reply buddy :)

I have a good source of Coco from the guys what selling all the living soil amandents in UK.
I read the peat moss is actually better the problem is they will be banning it in UK but I have still time to build peat based mix :)
Banning lol so they dont run out cooking down the mash for the single malt scotch I'm betting. lol

Get some now while you can. I'd use peat up until you cant get it anymore.

I'm not sure that the ban will actually take place. It's a pretty big resource. Canada and Russia have half a world of the stuff. Be like saying we have a shortage of coal.. They likely banning it for some dumb ass political reason that makes no sense.

Like @Nunyabiz said its got coco beat for several reasons. I like the acidity.

Your recipe tho might work pretty good with the coco since you're not overloaded with Calcium source that changed pH. With my peat based mix I use much more Ca and that helps with the peat acidity.

Back
Top Bottom