Coco watering help

ColonelForbin

420 Member
Hey folks. First post here. I’m using coco for the first time and am a bit unsure of what I’m doing I guess. My plants look fine but I think I’ve been watering too much, as in giving too much water at a time. So I’ve got a couple questions about it.
Is my ph gonna be out of whack when they dry up due to salts drying up in there?
I’ve been giving 20 plants in 5 gallon pots about 30 gals every couple few days. I was planning on flipping this weekend but now that I’m realizing that I’ve overdone it a bit I may need to hold off because my roots may not be as full as I thought they would be. That’s my other question. Can I do anything to make roots grow any faster at this point? I’ve been in 5s for a month I think. Thanks.

Hey folks. First post here. I’m using coco for the first time and am a bit unsure of what I’m doing I guess. My plants look fine but I think I’ve been watering too much, as in giving too much water at a time. So I’ve got a couple questions about it.
Is my ph gonna be out of whack when they dry up due to salts drying up in there?
I’ve been giving 20 plants in 5 gallon pots about 30 gals every couple few days. I was planning on flipping this weekend but now that I’m realizing that I’ve overdone it a bit I may need to hold off because my roots may not be as full as I thought they would be. That’s my other question. Can I do anything to make roots grow any faster at this point? I’ve been in 5s for a month I think. Thanks.
Hi Colonel, If you're using pure coco then you should be watering so it never dries out. Some folks water every day, some twice. Keeping them wet and having some runoff helps with salts building from what I hear. Ph for coco is same as for hydro too. Different than soil and will make a difference. Good luck and let us know how things are going.

Hi Colonel, If you're using pure coco then you should be watering so it never dries out. Some folks water every day, some twice. Keeping them wet and having some runoff helps with salts building from what I hear. Ph for coco is same as for hydro too. Different than soil and will make a difference. Good luck and let us know how things are going.
Hey stone, thanks for the response. I am keeping the PH around 6 and keeping them wet. But I keep seeing shit saying to not water till they’re light to lift. They don’t seem to change much weight before I was watering again, which is my concern for my roots.

Hey stone, thanks for the response. I am keeping the PH around 6 and keeping them wet. But I keep seeing shit saying to not water till they’re light to lift. They don’t seem to change much weight before I was watering again, which is my concern for my roots.
Oh, and it’s coco coir mixed at 50/50 coco/perlite.

It's true to water like that but in soil, not coco or pearlite. I'm a soil grower and a beginner too. I'd bet the farm on the watering but check out some coco journals for the PH. @AngryBird are you a coco grower? I think @Pennywise is.

With coco, you need to keep your medium wet.
coco drains really well and holds oxygen really well too when wet
I water/feed daily with great results
using the weight of your plant is used by soil growers to judge if the plant needs water
With coco, it needs to stay wet, and watering with a small amount of runoff will make sure you don't get salt buildups
You don't need to give it full feedings every day either.
Quite often I'll make up very weak solutions for use with daily watering
maybe 2 to 3 times in a week, with the other days being full feeding, it's up to you
and judging how your plants look
PH is super important. You want it between 5.6 to 5.8
Try to mix it up between the 2 extremes. Do some solutions on the low, then on the high

Thanks stunned. You made me feel better. I was getting too much run off I think is why they were super wet. I just hit them with half a dose of nutes and less water. I did 70 plants with 60 gallons instead of my usual 90+.

Ha. Indeed it is. And I suck at growing. I used to pay people to do it but had to fire each and every one of them. You know how it goes. I don’t really know why I switched to coco but I’m learning a bunch and enjoying it. I really appreciate your time and advise.

Good Morning-

I have tried coco once and the plants were huge. The only issue I had was water/feed daily was a bit too much. If I had the time I would always use coco.

Ice Cream

I love growing in coco. Still learning myself so just going to post this here in case you haven't had a chance to take a look. Some good information about how often to water, runoff, nutrient ppms and pH. @Bill284 is a big coco grower as well so has a lot of good information you can glean.

I love growing in coco. Still learning myself so just going to post this here in case you haven't had a chance to take a look. Some good information about how often to water, runoff, nutrient ppms and pH. @Bill284 is a big coco grower as well so has a lot of good information you can glean.

Wow, just saw the dates on the thread, quite old.

Back
Top Bottom