Confused

ainsle11

I am a first time grower. My seedling are growing find under 3 flourescent lights. Soon i am going to put under 1000 watt mh. I bought this ballast on kijji and i forgot to ask the guy the brand name and their is no name on the ballast. I bought a timer that says not to go above 8a/1000 watt tungsten (lighting) and 5a ballast. I guess this means i cannot use this timer for 1000 watt ballast??? I am confused on what timer i can use. Help

You need a power relay. This is a device that plugs into your wall outlet and is controlled by your timer. It can switch the high current grow light without burning up your timer. They are quite easy to build for cheap, but if you are not electrically inclined most hydro retailers sell them.

What he said. I guess a timer is cheaper than a relay. However, I personally don't like to put such loads on a timer even if it's rated. Call me overcautious.

Relay is probably safer. I've used a 15 amp timer for many years for single 1000w ballasts. Just don't run anything else off of it even if it has an extra out let like the one I have does. If multi ballasts are used relays are the only way to go. You can get a good quality 15 amp timer from Lowes for 20 bucks. I would not use the timer you have for that light.

Back
Top Bottom