Could putting fast version strains outside early trigger flowering?

Phillybonker

I know photoperiod plants won't start flowering if I put the plants outside at a certain time of the year which is two weeks earlier than most other people in my region. But what about fast version strains?, these are mixed with ruderalis, could this trigger flowering if put out earlier than usual?

Never grown them, but I believe that they react as photoperiod plants, so as long as you are at 13 hours or more of daylight, it shouldn't trigger flowering. If I understand it correctly it's the flowering (finishing) time that is shorter.
Yep I'm safely at 13+ hours of daylight. Thanks:thumb:

Never grown them, but I believe that they react as photoperiod plants, so as long as you are at 13 hours or more of daylight, it shouldn't trigger flowering. If I understand it correctly it's the flowering (finishing) time that is shorter.
Hmmm I don't understand all this now. Here in my region of NZ, flowering starts first week of February when we are getting 14+ hours of daylight and obviously less than 12 hours of darkness??

I just took a look at one site that says we get 13 hours, 46 minutes daylight on 7th February which is when most of my cannabis plants started flowering here.

EDIT:Maybe flowering just gets triggered in my region when the days get shorter and the nights get longer but definitely not 12 hours of darkness like it says on google.

Three things here mate.

Plants mixed with Ruderalis will automatically flower no matter the daylight, they have an internal clock that starts ticking from birth.

Second, a photoperiod will trigger flower if you drastically drop the daylight hours. Had it happen last year. Gave one to a mate from my tent at 18 hours, and the drop to 14 hours was enough to have budset and finish, even though it was November.

So the third part is a full outdoor grow, like youve seen, put out early will take some time to mature, and daylight hours creep slowly downwards after December. Those few minutes a day less have little effect until the plant gets to enough days in a row to recognise the time to budset is beginning.

In a tent its maximum light, then a sharp decrease, so only takes around 10 days to trigger fully as opposed to a few weeks outside where the daylight creeps down slowly.

The veg on outdoors keeps going so long because it takes a while to hit maturity, while the daylight hours increase slowly, only a couple minutes a day, so the plant stays in veg.

Basically it takes weeks of slow gradual change to have an effect in outdoor grows, veg and flower.

Hope that clears up how to think about the differences.

Plants mixed with Ruderalis will automatically flower no matter the daylight, they have an internal clock that starts ticking from birth.
Fast versions are F1 (first generation) hybrids between auto and photo-dependent genetics, resulting in offspring that are photoperiod-sensitive, but that will mature around 1-2 weeks earlier than their fully photo-dependent parent, thanks to the influence of the auto-flowering trait.

Fast versions are F1 (first generation) hybrids between auto and photo-dependent genetics, resulting in offspring that are photoperiod-sensitive, but that will mature around 1-2 weeks earlier than their fully photo-dependent parent, thanks to the influence of the auto-flowering trait.
Yes that's the idea behind FV's but got to wonder if they do actually mature 1-2 weeks earlier, I've heard some mixed results. One guy (a breeder of autos) suggested anything mixed with the big modern autos don't really mature any earlier and he's had better results with FV's that have been crossed with small fast autos like LowRyder and Mighty Mite. But who knows.

Haha gotcha. I needed you to put 2 & 2 together there for me mate.

Sorry Phillybonker, my mistake my brain was not following what you meant by fast version.

As you were gents, showing my ignorance here.

Haha gotcha. I needed you to put 2 & 2 together there for me mate.

Sorry Phillybonker, my mistake my brain was not following what you meant by fast version.

As you were gents, showing my ignorance here.
I had to do some digging/reading, I was always told that the auto flower gene (double recessive) was “all or nothing”, I learned something too!

I had to do some digging/reading, I was always told that the auto flower gene (double recessive) was “all or nothing”, I learned something too!
Yeah it was going back a while there was a thread about crossing autos with Photos and someone did a damn fine job of explaining it all thoroughly using both grower and horticultural/ biological terms.

I wish I had bookmarked it, whoever wrote the reply knew exactly the variants and what is likely outcome to help out here, at least define the parameters.

In my recall the basic principle was a slightly faster finish but result were variable, due to pheno expression, but it didn't seem to matter which parent was which.

Tbh I really only followed the aim of the OP which was how to breed autos.

It got way more involved than I was expecting for sure.

Good luck Phillybonker, interesting question now I finally have a handle on what you were really asking.

Best of luck, I know you’ve got some tough conditions “in the bush”.
Yep tough conditions alright. Everything is trying to kill the plants, first comes the onslaught of slugs and snails, then the animals, then the aphids, then the caterpillars, next botrytis and finally the rippers.

Back
Top Bottom