Crawdaddy's 2014 Summer Outdoor Season

They are going to be monsters by fall time. And all the little wrinkled leaves will grow out of it. I do have a question???????? Have you grown hydro outdoors before? I know a lot of people have problem with temp control out there. Water heats up to 90+ degree. They few I seen grow success-able out there use a chiller to keep water temps lower. I'm not sure if that is a hydro or just a food res.
But the girl are filling in nicely. Keepem Green

They are going to be monsters by fall time. And all the little wrinkled leaves will grow out of it. I do have a question???????? Have you grown hydro outdoors before? I know a lot of people have problem with temp control out there. Water heats up to 90+ degree. They few I seen grow success-able out there use a chiller to keep water temps lower. I'm not sure if that is a hydro or just a food res.
But the girl are filling in nicely. Keepem Green

I have never gorwn hydro indoor or out till this year, so first attempt outside. I am hoping be ok with water tamps because roots not in water and it just top feed. We shall see. Honestly never considered it, so hmmm.

I could probably just top feed each with 2 gallons of fresh water each morning, but might be a PITA.

Quick update, photo update probably Sunday, have to drive 3 hours away to get me and my g/f's med licenses(to Olympia WA) renewed Saturday....

The autoflowers are not big and some are not filling out well, but dam they all smell good and different smells and some look like dense buds, a couple maybe ready in week or two. Looking like 'bud on a stick' type plants. Try and get some good bud and trich shots this weekend.

The big BB is going nuts, in a good way, think she finally used to her new root zone and growth is taking off, hope not get too big in next month and half before going flower lol.

The Flowerbomb Kush and Critical are starting to show some signs they may get that explosive growth after transplant into new homes last weekend, normally takes week or two for them to take off after transplant.

The two growing 'Capn Style' are looking well, slowing down growth probably cause running out of root room, I pulled the BVK out of pot last night, roots are COATING the outside about 1/2 up the pot, nice healthy thick white roots too :), so at least the BVK and probably the BCB will be put into their final 15 gallon airpot home on Sunday. I am not going to fill the airpot full, probably about 2/3-3/4 and fashion a 'light blocker' to cover the top of rockwool.

Photo Update!

Everything in the greenhouse is looking great, I am SO HAPPY did not get any early bloomers. I think i can safely say not going to happen now :)

First up is the autoflowers. They all have some great smells and variety....
DSCN20443.JPG

Couple of them are getting close....
DSCN20455.JPG
DSCN20463.JPG

These are 2 that not very solid buds, but still look potent.
DSCN20476.JPG
DSCN20486.JPG

These are a bit farther off...
DSCN20498.JPG
DSCN20507.JPG

Here is the BCB(left) and BVK doing 'Capn Style'. The BVK needs to go into its 15 gallon airpot Sunday, and the BCB later this week....
DSCN20514.JPG

BCB
DSCN20525.JPG
DSCN20535.JPG

BVK
DSCN20544.JPG
DSCN20553.JPG

Here is the Big Blueberry, she is looking great. I know the soil looks dry but trust me, underneath that crust it is still wet :)
DSCN20563.JPG
DSCN20585.JPG
DSCN20596.JPG
DSCN20605.JPG

and finally the Critical(left) and FBK. The FBK really looks like getting ready to take off after transplant, lots of that new light green new growth in last 24 hours.
DSCN20616.JPG

DSCN20628.JPG
DSCN20635.JPG

That one auto is frosting up nicely. I love the look when sugar leaves curl up and have a thick coating of sugar on them.
I've only played around with hydro acouple times with mixed results. With doing that top feed you're working with you'll have no problem,, I wood think. I've known afew people trying to do some DWC type grows outdoors and they had a lot of problems. But their plants roots were just soaking in hot water. Probably be wise to have a chiller if you really wanted to get deep into it. I know along time back I use to bury 55 gallon drum under ground and the water stayed kind of cool on then real hot days. That was just a reservoir back then. Looking great Keepem Green

nice setup, plants look great.

Looking fantastic all around :)

Beautiful girls!:thumb:

Thanks everyone!

That one auto is frosting up nicely. I love the look when sugar leaves curl up and have a thick coating of sugar on them.
I've only played around with hydro acouple times with mixed results. With doing that top feed you're working with you'll have no problem,, I wood think. I've known afew people trying to do some DWC type grows outdoors and they had a lot of problems. But their plants roots were just soaking in hot water. Probably be wise to have a chiller if you really wanted to get deep into it. I know along time back I use to bury 55 gallon drum under ground and the water stayed kind of cool on then real hot days. That was just a reservoir back then. Looking great Keepem Green

Yea DWC outdoor, especially around here in the Summer would just be asking for trouble. Can get some REAL Warm periods on this side of the Cascades.

This my first run with autos, pleasantly surprised so far. Do not see myself using them except isolated situations, like outdoor harvest in middle of summer.

The Barney's Vanilla Kush was transplanted to its final home today!

Here is her prior home...
DSCN20793.JPG
DSCN20815.JPG

If you take a 17 Gallon tote, 15 gallon airpot, pump and ALOt of rockwool cubes...
DSCN20826.JPG

Drill some holes in the top of the tote.
DSCN20835.JPG

And put it all together, you get a nice home for, hopefully, a big ass plant.
DSCN20846.JPG

Then you show off her roots,
DSCN20858.JPG
DSCN20867.JPG

Sprinkle some Great White on the roots and put her in the airpot, and you have this(the Barneys Crimea Blue in from right will get same treatment tomorrow!)....
DSCN20877.JPG

Hopefully she will enjoy it!

Way to go craw! I like!
So when you do a solution change out do you just disconnect the halo and turn on the pump and get MOST of it out?
I am about ready to do something very similar in my indoor with a tote, a big a$$ air pot and a hydro halo.
If you or anyone else needs a good URL for mini cubes in bulk PM me.
I get three 2 cu ft bags (a case) for 97 bucks shipped to my door
Again way to go! Just the pick-up I needed today

Way to go craw! I like!
So when you do a solution change out do you just disconnect the halo and turn on the pump and get MOST of it out?
I am about ready to do something very similar in my indoor with a tote, a big a$$ air pot and a hydro halo.
If you or anyone else needs a good URL for mini cubes in bulk PM me.
I get three 2 cu ft bags (a case) for 97 bucks shipped to my door
Again way to go! Just the pick-up I needed today

Thanks a lot man, now you know what I need larger hydro halo for, as can imagine the 6" too small for this set up.

With regards to rockwool, can you reuse or new stuff every time, if so I may need that URL lol.

That's a pretty creative idea. You don't run into issues doing this setup outside?

Thanks man, now sure we shall see, the hope is since roots not in water can handle the heat. Last few days not matter cloudy and in the high 60's.

Hey man I see you got the brute! That's a nice one. That root picture is the sh_t! Way to go. I'm so envious of your set up there.

A couple comments:

1. For that big plant I would aim to keep the 14gal brute tote full, because it will drink a lot of that water quickly. I'm also interested to know how much water it goes through in a week outdoors.

2. If you put the tote on the ground, do you think it would help cool the root zone? As is, the root zone will tend to be the same as air temp. It might get too warm in mid summer?

3. I don't care for the holes drilled on top. I tried that and I had to change it for several reasons.

A. The roots will find their way thru the holes and dangle in the water, and then you have a hybrid DWC and risk of root disease. When you move the pot around, roots will break, fall into the tote and rot.

B. The roots will clog the holes and then it wont drain back to the tub.

C. You don't have a way to look in the tub and see how much water is in there.

D. Once that specimen gets large, you won't be able to move it, and if the pump goes bad it will be difficult to change the pump.

I've changed everything to just doing one 6" hole. All the water drains back to the tub thru this hole. I put a pot in the hole, or cover it somehow, so no light gets into the res. The plant stays on the res for 2 months in flower. I don't clean the res until the plant is done.

20140205_203334.jpg

Great looking roots! That's awesome.

thanks you, yes I was very happy when pulled it out of pot.

post that url s1; can always use.

I doubt he can in public :)

Hey man I see you got the brute! That's a nice one. That root picture is the sh_t! Way to go. I'm so envious of your set up there.

A couple comments:

1. For that big plant I would aim to keep the 14gal brute tote full, because it will drink a lot of that water quickly. I'm also interested to know how much water it goes through in a week outdoors.

2. If you put the tote on the ground, do you think it would help cool the root zone? As is, the root zone will tend to be the same as air temp. It might get too warm in mid summer?

3. I don't care for the holes drilled on top. I tried that and I had to change it for several reasons.

A. The roots will find their way thru the holes and dangle in the water, and then you have a hybrid DWC and risk of root disease. When you move the pot around, roots will break, fall into the tote and rot.

B. The roots will clog the holes and then it wont drain back to the tub.

C. You don't have a way to look in the tub and see how much water is in there.

D. Once that specimen gets large, you won't be able to move it, and if the pump goes bad it will be difficult to change the pump.

I've changed everything to just doing one 6" hole. All the water drains back to the tub thru this hole. I put a pot in the hole, or cover it somehow, so no light gets into the res. The plant stays on the res for 2 months in flower. I don't clean the res until the plant is done.

So it sounds like you cut a round hole and then 'block' it with a pot.

Yea it been a pain to check water levels the way I doing it.

I will try that with the Crimea Blue transplanting when get home from work.

Thanks again for all the great help!

Back
Top Bottom