Damping off

Gru

I had a got some seeds and germinated them.

2 of the 3 damped off immediately but one was struggling.

It was way stunted for its age and was unable to keep upright.

So in my infinite wisdom i mounded dirt around it and staked it.

A few weeks later, still stunted, I un staked it.

It lasted about a day before it fell over. Remove the structurally engineered soil mound support and it appeared like it was damping off. That skinny stem and brownish color really angered me.

So this month old seedling that looked like a week old sprout was set to expire on me.

For those who don’t know already: seeds aren’t cheap.

So in an effort and experiment to save it I cut off the bottom inch, dipped in cloning gel and replanted.

Lo and behold it actually works and it’s doing great now.

TLDR: before trashing damped-off seedlings try cloning them. It worked for me but keep in mind it’s a sample size of 1.

I would like to add:

1. This wasn’t my 1st rodeo.
2. The containers were clean.
3. The soil was Fox ocean forest.
4. The light was a Mars hydro, the long 300 watt one about a foot up and maybe 30-40% power.
5. The other different strains of seeds were fine.

The strain that gave me a headache was cereal milk.

I had a got some seeds and germinated them.

2 of the 3 damped off immediately but one was struggling.

It was way stunted for its age and was unable to keep upright.

So in my infinite wisdom i mounded dirt around it and staked it.

A few weeks later, still stunted, I un staked it.

It lasted about a day before it fell over. Remove the structurally engineered soil mound support and it appeared like it was damping off. That skinny stem and brownish color really angered me.

So this month old seedling that looked like a week old sprout was set to expire on me.

For those who don’t know already: seeds aren’t cheap.

So in an effort and experiment to save it I cut off the bottom inch, dipped in cloning gel and replanted.

Lo and behold it actually works and it’s doing great now.

TLDR: before trashing damped-off seedlings try cloning them. It worked for me but keep in mind it’s a sample size of 1.
Definitely recommend you read @Emilya Green’s thread on watering. CL🍀

Some strains are prone to it. don't know if it is week stem membrane or how they take up water, but for me it was laughing buddha. If it didn't dampen off, the stems would snap in flower if not supported. gentle fan to keep the stem and soil surface dry. strengthens the stem and the fungus that causes dampening off can not grow on dry surfaces. Also boosted potassium silicate.

Back
Top Bottom