Danger Will Robinson - Danger!

OlderStoner

I can't explain this fully but I'll try. For the last few years I've been growing a few plants now and then in a 5x5 tent with two 600W air cooled lights. All has been well. But, about a week ago I noticed that the cable from my cable box in the yard had been cut and a new one placed above ground. At first I thought the yard care people cut it and just patched it until they had a chance to notify me and come around to make it right. Then I got a call from my cable service provider. They told me they were picking up some troubles on my lines and they would be sending a tech around to check it out. The tech arrived today and he said there was indeed a problem inside my house. Of course I had to be very discreet so I kept my cards very close to the vest. At the tech's directions I went into the house alone, and disconnected and reconnected a few cables to start eliminating what was not causing the trouble. To make a long story short, the tech and I found that it was those damn lights that were doing it. I never told him what I was disconnecting, I used a cover story that I did work for a confidential client and I had high amp equipment in the house turned on. But no fooling. When I turned the 600w lights off, the signal cleared up completely. I turned one of them on and again the signal went afoul. I switched the outlets they were plugged into. No matter what we did, the lights were definitely causing the trouble. The tech may have figured something else but IFAIK he only knew I had high amp equipment in there and that was what was causing the trouble. And by trouble, I mean the entire street was being affected because I'm the first house on the block in their loop. What he did say is that if the trouble continues they would have no choice but to disconnect my Internet, cable TV, VOIP phone service, the whole works until it was resolved. And BTW, the cable tech told me that it was he who replaced that external cable and he was nice enough to dig a trench and rebury it underground.

I always thought it would be the power company coming in to check things because with those two lights my monthly bill shot up about $75 per month more than average. They only run 12/12 but that was enough to start drawing attention to myself.

Now, I'll try to remember what the tech said. He told my that something UV in the range of 5-40 mghz was what would be causing the signal interruption he was recording on that device of his. Like I said, he seemed to be a smart guy, but if he was putting the pieces of the puzzle together he wasn't showing it. Now when he reports his findings there no telling what research the other techs at his corporate office will do and thus I can not take anymore chances with this setup. The only saving grace is that at 119 days, this grow is almost ready, though I'd love to give the plants another week or so. But this is just too risky now.

The damn thing is that today, this very day, new legislation is being introduced at the Federal level, not state, that will finally, once and for all move the legalization effort along on a national level. Nonetheless, I can't and will not take anymore risks with this. I have to bring it all down today and hope that soon we get the laws changed.

Now, if any electricians, cable techs, whatever out there read this and can chime in on why, and how lights could be causing a problem with the cable system. I mean, there is no place in this house where anything I know of is crossed over, etc... Oh yes, I plugged the digital ballasts in and let them run and the signal was fine. It was only when I plugged the lights in and they started glowing that the trouble would appear on his scope. We did no less than five different tests with this and no matter what, the trouble only showed up when the lights were on. Damn and double damn. I am a structural engineer by trade, and have only limited experience with electrical so I can't say anything except for everyone to start watching your backsides. This was not a fun day at all.

Re: Danger Will Robinson ... Danger!

Just another reason to stay with magnetic ballasts. I realize that the new digital ballasts have all the wiz bang features. But they also cause more problems in several ways. You would think the designers of the digital ballasts could fix the interference problem.

Well ballast only convert domestic current/voltage to another form of current/voltage for HPS/MH to use, i don't see how that could effect the rest of road or street as it is a one way conversion !

In less mains electric supply has been tampered with a cut 'n' splice & a rather poor job was done ? (slightly illegal)

How ever having a tec guy replace main electric cable would suspect a fault in this area & with the external cable replaced may lead to an internal inspection at a hunch in due time ?

I may suggest putting things in order & good luck :thumb:

Do you have 2-5/8" ground rods 6' apart connected with copper wire and then to your panel?
Also check and see if all your netruals and grounds are tight in your electric panel

The cable company likes to grab a ground wire off your house ground if you can extend that so it is connected to the wire as far away from the panel as possible

Make sure the receptacle you are using for your light has a good ground and netrual
Hope this helps

Oh and if you aren't comfortable please call a licensed electrican and tell him when you run high draw appliances(ex vaccum) you get static on you television
Good luck:volcano-smiley:

I know this is a weird one. One of the ballasts is about 2 years old, the other one is less than a year. They both work great and the thing was that while the tech was here I turned both of the ballasts on and let them run but I did not have the lights plugged into them. The signal on the tech's meter was clean. But as soon as I plugged the lights, first one and then the other checking in between, the signal on his meter showed static again. I did this several times with him, I moved the extension cords into different rooms and tried that. No matter what, it was only when the lights were actually illuminating that the signal went south. Now, my TV, phone and Internet service has worked great for years now. I stream movies and downloaded and entire DVD size iso file last night in less than four minutes. Still this guy was telling me that the signal has all kinds of distortions. And I saw with my own eye that he was hooking up to only the cable stuff. He was not near the electrical service at all. I've got some serious studying to do to try and figure this one out.

BTW - These are not the high end ballast, however their construction is sound and they work. By high-end I mean I didn't pay $300+ for them. In fact, both of them came in a light kit with the hood, ballast and two bulbs for just about $300 each. And I don't think it's the ballasts because the signal was clear even with both of them turned on. It was the lights themselves illuminating that sent things on the tech's meter into a tizzy.

yer but what brand are they?
One of them has a brand name of YieldLab the other one simply has the usual warning labels. Both of them have a UL logo. And they have performed very well during this grow. I really don't think it's the ballasts. I turned them on but left the lights unplugged. The meter was quiet but as soon as I plugged the lights back in the meter would show distortions again.

I wonder if the wiring between the ballast and the lights isn't right, ie broken ground wire, or something similar.

Lumatek used to do this as well. In 09 maybe 2010 they added a rf blocker correct me if I'm wrong. The problem could be your ballasts are sending out rf signals.

The reason I bring this up. Not to make you all paranoid is in 2007 my buddy got popped and this is how it went down

They (narcotics cops)picked up an rf frequency around the area of the grow

They sent a cable tech (undercover agent) to inspect problem. Agent saw grow related items upon entry to property and guy is still in prison another 8 months. That's almost five years since his trial ended.

I highly doubt this is your situation as you have nowhere near 300 plants. But rf signals can lead to unwanted attention or worse

THEFT!!!

Ouch Dutty! This would all make me very paranoid. I hope you get to the bottom of it Olderstoner. It does seem unlikely that narcs would go about it this way especially when you have a very small grow. Sounds like new equipment would be a good investment, and maybe some double checking with the cable co?

the reason why its only happening when you add the lights to the ballast,, because then its got a load on it,,, they sell RF fabric you can use to insolate your boxes, that should help out I would think

I would guess that there's a broken cable TV cable in the house. Even if your ballasts were spewing RF, the ground on the cable should keep it out. I'd be looking for a broken or unconnected cable or possibly a short between AC neutral and cable ground. You can also try using a surge protector strip with RFI filters for the lights or cable modem. They take out about 75dB at 50Mhz.

You should also make sure the grounds and wiring are correct throughout your house. Lots of stuff is electrically noisy. It shouldn't be making it's way into the TV cable. Buy an outlet tester and make sure every outlet is wired correctly.

I wouldn't worry about trying to shield the room from RF. Digital ballasts run in the kHz range, anyway. You should be able to take an AM radio and find a harmonic of the switching frequency by placing it next to the ballast and tuning through the range. Walk 50 feet away and the noise at that frequency should be pretty much gone. If you can tune in your ballasts from down the block, then you might get a surprise visit from the FCC.

i have two galaxy electronic ballasts. one 600, the other one a switchable 1000. no problmes here. i have had real good luck with this brand.

So hard to believe that it's been 7 years since I posted this. A lot has changed in my state of residence. I now have a Medical Marijuana Card that I can get a prescription with that allows me to legally purchase cannabis at a dispensary so I've stopped growing. And if things go as they should come November, recreational cannabis should pass and then I will be able to stop worrying completely. Even now if I turned those lights back on I'd be able to show anyone, including LE that I'm within my rights to grow. That will NOT stop the cable provider from cutting me off if their signal get's mired again. However, I think I've determined that even if the cable provider cuts me off, I could still run the lights and it would most likely still screw up their signal because the box at the head of my street is only feet away from my house. Don't want to make any trouble but once I'm cleared of all legal limits with a small grow (6 plants max) I shouldn't have to worry about the cable provider or LE.

Back
Top Bottom