The Day the SWAT Team Came Crashing Through My Door

I remember thinking, as I kneeled at gunpoint with my hands bound on my living room floor, that there had been a terrible, terrible mistake.

An errant Prince George's County SWAT team had just forced its way into our home, shot dead our two black Labradors, Payton and Chase, and started ransacking our belongings as part of what would become a four-hour ordeal.

The police found nothing, of course, to connect my family and me to a box of drugs that they had been tracking and had delivered to our front door. The community -- of which I am mayor -- rallied to our side. A FedEx driver and accomplice were arrested in a drug trafficking scheme. Ultimately, we were cleared of any wrongdoing, but not before the incident drew international outrage.

This was 14 months ago. We have since filed suit, and I am confident that we will find justice more quickly than most.

Yet, I remain captured by the broader implications of the incident. Namely, that my initial take was wrong: It was no accident but rather business as usual that brought the police to -- and through -- our front door.

In the words of Prince George's County Sheriff Michael Jackson, whose deputies carried out the assault, "the guys did what they were supposed to do" -- acknowledging, almost as an afterthought, that terrorizing innocent citizens in Prince George's is standard fare. The only difference this time seems to be that the victim was a clean-cut white mayor with community support, resources and a story to tell the media.

What confounds me is the unmitigated refusal of county leaders to challenge law enforcement and to demand better -- as if civil rights are somehow rendered secondary by the war on drugs.

Let me give you three specific concerns underscored by our case.

First, the Prince George's Police Department's internal affairs function is broken. When the Justice Department released the county police from federal supervision in February, internal affairs was the one area that was not cleared. Internal affairs division (IAD) investigations were required to take no longer than 90 days. More than a year after our ordeal, my family awaits the IAD report on what happened at our home. The statute of limitations for officer misconduct is 12 months, which means that any wrongdoers are off the hook.

Next, there is significant evidence that the county is broadly violating the Fourth Amendment, which protects against unreasonable search and seizure. After initially claiming that they had a "no-knock" warrant to forcibly enter our home, county police acknowledged that they did not have one. But they went on to contend that there is no such thing as a "no-knock" warrant in Maryland. But this isn't true. A statewide "no-knock" warrant statute was passed in 2005. Effectively, the county is denying the existence of state law. We can't get the county to say whether it has ever followed the law or, at a minimum, even acknowledges it.

Finally, and perhaps most disturbing of all, county police may be lying to cover up their civil rights violations. A county officer on the scene told Berwyn Heights police a fabricated tale to justify the warrantless entry into our home. The lie disappeared after police learned that I was the mayor. Charges of a police coverup are hardly unusual, but there is significant evidence that county law enforcement engaged in a conspiracy on our lawn to justify an illegal entry. Nothing strikes at the heart of police credibility like creative report writing and false testimony to cover up a lie or even put innocent people behind bars. Swift and serious consequences are the best deterrent.

In fairness, some good has come from the incident. State leaders have passed legislation that will provide statewide oversight of SWAT teams -- a first-in-the-nation law that will shine a light on the troubling trend of paramilitary policing.

Yet, the wagons have circled in Upper Marlboro. The response is textbook: Law enforcement stands its ground and concedes no wrongdoing -- and elected officials bury their heads in the sand.

As an imperfect elected official myself, I can understand a mistake -- even a terrible one. But a pattern and practice of police abuse treated with utter indifference rips at the fabric of our social compact and virtually guarantees more of the same.

The writer is the mayor of Berwyn Heights.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Washington Post
Author: Cheye M. Calvo
Copyright: 2009 The Washington Post Company
Website: The Day the SWAT Team Came Crashing Through My Door

I see nothing coming of this, the police have been cleared and like he said, the elected officials bury there head in the sand, after reading this story I found a couple more stories of police action in Prince George, one of an unarmed man shot in the back and the officer was cleared, it was the second time the officer had shot an unarmed man and was also cleared of the previous shooting, I guess it don't surprise me but im sure glad I don't live there.

This sounds like what LE and the DA is getting away with here in San Diego.

AMERICA... Land of the Somewhat Free....

Home of the PARA-Military Police Raids on INNOCENT Civilians!!!

legalize it.omg everything is corrupt.i guess life is devolving now.is this possible though?im stoned and i dont even smoke no more but if i did i say its better.oh,buy the way our system of humanity may be loseing grip .

shot dead our two black Labradors, Payton and Chase

If we were to shoot and kill a cops dog, we would be charged for murder of a police officer.
Why can`t they be charged for murder?

shot dead our two black Labradors, Payton and Chase

If we were to shoot and kill a cops dog, we would be charged for murder of a police officer.
Why can`t they be charged for murder?

because there the police, there above the law, police officers break laws that would put you and me in jail all the time, they always get cleared.

I'd like to feel sorry for this guy, but unfortunately it is very tough.

These head in the sand politicians have been begged and pleaded to by their constituents for years about the unfairness of the laws and the gestapo like tactics used by police forces and hardly a thing is done.

Now suddenly you get a taste of what it's like and you scream foul.

I hate to say it, but maybe you deserve it for ignoring us.

I have to ask now. Will his fight be just about him or will he step up to the plate and spearhead change across the board?(first step is legalization so that they don't have a reason to bust in on anybody) I'm going to guess that his past performance will be the answer.

I am impressed. :peace:

if it becomes decriminalized how many people that never smoked it would lite up?and how many.. also would quit just cause they got different times on there hands.ya know.its real like.. super harmless yet still we play someone elses part in part because of 1 side 2 the other.we are just big babys with beards and boredome on our hands fate still never changes.dont know bout you but i aint seen anyone from the other side.lets get organized people and account for all ourselves.ill start.. pressent!and accounted for. now! YOU like a dominoe aeffect we should all account for each other. or have we thrown the Ball to far."we all know what you know"and you all know what we know. common, so i can sleep at night knowing we all got each others back...subconciously.. peace out THE MIND" please take what i say to the level we should be before commenting.,.ty

I'd like to feel sorry for this guy, but unfortunately it is very tough.

These head in the sand politicians have been begged and pleaded to by their constituents for years about the unfairness of the laws and the gestapo like tactics used by police forces and hardly a thing is done.

Berwyn Heights MD is a very small community. I shopped in their main drag for years when I live in MD without even knowing I was in a separate town. I learned of their existence when they issued me a parking ticket, which is actually the town's primary function. The position of Mayor is a part time job, it's either paid with accolades or a very small stipend. It's really not practical reality to hold Mr. Calvo responsible as a 'head in the sand' politician as for all intents and purposes he's a private citizen. Getting the trash picked up, making sure the cops meet their quota of parking tickets, and organizing the Christmas party at City Hall is about the extent of his job. Still, the fact that he's mayor gives him an elevated standing in the minds of most people. It's very beneficial that he was a victim of this as it's going to be extremely difficult for the powers that be to paint him with the 'he deserved it, was likely guilty, just got lucky with nothing in the house at the moment' brush.

They shouldn't have shot his dogs. He's not going to let this go because of that. But let's not forget that he's a victim, as much of a victim as the growing list of victims of the drug war. Just because he was mayor of a tiny postage stamp jurisdiction doesn't mean he deserved this. Yes, I'm glad the PG cops picked him. But because he has standing in the community and his prosecution of this dastardly deed will have that much more possibility of actually making a difference because of it, not because I think he deserved it in any way shape or form. It's another straw on the camel's back.

if citizens would protect themselves in a vigalant fashion insteed of behaving like a bunch of cattle awaiting slotter then they would not have to suffer the oppresive results of a unfair unjust government. it is my feeling that all government workers are welfare recipients and since they are in charge of the welfare system that they benifit from there is very little hope of effecting change. they feel they need a defective system to survive its how they set it all in motion, they provide controlled failure and point at each other as the cause. I love dogs and some people sorry to read about your all to comon situation its otragious! I know my spelling is retarded

Back
Top Bottom