Deficiency identification help!

dusteff

420 Member
Hi there, does anyone know what this might be and how to quickly adjust to help my girl out!?

she's in living soil, outdoors, organic dry amendments 4/4/4 and 2/8/4 bloom 50/50 mix. Fed four days ago.

Issue has been getting progressively worse over the last two weeks.

Pictures below

Attachments

• 20200811_153641.jpg
    20200811_153641.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20200811_153407.jpg
    20200811_153407.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200811_153357.jpg
    20200811_153357.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200811_153347.jpg
    20200811_153347.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200811_153344.jpg
    20200811_153344.jpg
    940.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200811_153329.jpg
    20200811_153329.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 14
I see 2 issues...

The leaf discoloration looks to me like its a Potassium Deficiency. This could be due to either little potassium in the feedings/soil, or soil/water pH being off, or potentially due to an abundance of other nutrients. Generally for these types of issues I "flush" my plants with about 3-4x the amount of water as the volume of the pot (2 gallon pot, 5-7 gallons of water to flush). Make sure to use about 1/4 of the nutrients you normally use when flushing and make sure to adjust the ph to around 6.3 or so. Let the soil fully dry afterwords and resume normal feedings. Sometimes too much of other nutrients can make a nutrient unavailable for the plant therefore by flushing out the excess nutrients, it brings the soil back to a normal range.

the 2nd issue I see is pest related.. Thrip damage. Thrips are tiny sucking insects that will suck the juices out of your leaves. The little white/grey blotches on the top of the leaves that look like dried spit, are telltale signs of thrips. I would look into giving your plant a treatment of either Neem Oil (not in direct sunlight) or insecticidal soap. I personally like spinosad, which is an organic pesticide, however in some states its not really allowed for use on cannabis. Not sure why as its very safe for food.

I don't deal with potassium deficiencies often, therefore you may want to do some research on potassium deficiencies before trying any of the above mentioned and see what others are saying/doing to fix this... Cannabis is pretty forgiving so as long as you pay attention to pH and amount of nutrients given, this problem may very well fix itself over time.

Thank you so much! I'm trying to deal with the PH as I've heard K won't absorb after 6.5 ish.. the soil is consistently over 7 and even when flushing with 6.2 it doesn't bring it down that much. Perhaps that's the lock out issue I'm seeing?

Those darn thrips! Ill try the neem.. it's her fourth week outside and it's killing me to see the pests that come to feast. It spent two months indoors vegging but now she's too big to move in and out so she stays outside for the remainder of the grow.

Thank you again for the advice!

Thank you so much! I'm trying to deal with the PH as I've heard K won't absorb after 6.5 ish.. the soil is consistently over 7 and even when flushing with 6.2 it doesn't bring it down that much. Perhaps that's the lock out issue I'm seeing?

Those darn thrips! Ill try the neem.. it's her fourth week outside and it's killing me to see the pests that come to feast. It spent two months indoors vegging but now she's too big to move in and out so she stays outside for the remainder of the grow.

Thank you again for the advice!

You are welcome! I know that generally in my past grows, I see potassium deficiencies when I either add too much calcium, or I water with too much volume where the soil becomes drenched. After flushing the plants with pH balanced water, you might want to try watering with pH adjusted water + 1/2 dose nutrients but reduce the volume of your feedings by 1/2, and feed only when the leaves start to look wilty. (so feed less volume, but more frequently). The good thing with cannabis, is that its pretty good in soil at slowly correcting the issues, but they just take time. HOpe this helps. Im not the best at addressing plant deficiencies but generally they are a result of too moist of soil, or improper ph.

Back
Top Bottom