Different lights - Different smell & taste?

Lost In Nugs

It is known that different lights can change taste and smell of plants. Like Basil grown under spectrum A tastes different than another clone under spectrum B for example.

My entire experience has grown under Mars 2. And i noticed an odd thing. Two strains, a Northern Lights and a Atomical Haze have the same very earthy and racy undertone in its taste and smell. NOT ENTIRELY, but noticeable when you grind a buddha. It tastes very natural and not bad or harsh at all, but i just like the fruity tastes out of the plants more so this is getting my attention.

Different tent, different temps, different soil, different nutes, different drying methods, Haze was even washed with H2O2 and the Lemon Juice/BakingSoda Method and the NL not, just hang and jar. Done

All different..... but same light.

Unless it is not some failure or habit in drying or curing it has to be something about the Mars ll 700. Does anyone else noticed this sort of things over testing several lights for multiple grows/strains, and maybe a Mars 2?

Its not all the same...but noticeable. Wish you the best

re: Different lights - Different smell & taste?

Since plants tend to use whatever light is available to get done what they need to, or I guess a better way to say it may be let's say for instance 1 grow light produces most of it's light in the 680nm red range and a different light produces most of it's light in the more orange 660mn range plants will tend to use either and do the same thing with them. From what I read they are pretty darned adaptable as far as most of the spectrum goes.

If you get a different taste I would tend to put my betting money on a temperature difference. It may be slight, very slight but 1-2 degrees over a grows life may very well have an influence on taste I would think.
Just throwing that out there to add even more confusion lol.

Sounds like ya got a phenotype occurrence with the atomical haze which might be related to its back ground breeding with an indica used.

Phenotype's happen once in a while some times different bud/cola formation, leaf size/shape, internode distance & yes even aroma may change.

Mmm a plant produces many seeds but will they all turn out like the parent as intended ? Genetic's ya see of each seed... bit like having 10 children with 1 women they don't all turn out the same !

I don't quite recall how many strains i've grown by now & most of the time a single strain per grow this is when ya start noticing phenotype change a bit easy to spot when all the same strain compared with a seed of this & a seed that in a mixed strain grow.

Yup i know what you mean and about phenotypes. In this Atomical Haze Case i used Clones i got from a friend and the Mother i ve actually never seen seems to be a more indica like pheno, even i really tied it down from the beginning and flowered it very low, the strech was almost not noticeable and bud density was rock hard golfball style and reminded me about indica dominant hybrids ive grown.

Maybe this is because of my lights, temperatures like fanleaf said and semi optimal watering habits. I ve never really noticed a big strech and always had a lilbit of this taste for 3 different strains i grew with this light

AnywAy The high at week 7 harvested bud was soaring and almost on par with an slight overdose of adderall. Very clear, almost too clear but very pushing and mood enhancing. Very medicinal for adhd and stuff. Then harvested at 2,5 weeks later it was more relaxing and stony. Quite interesting when you have both in one bag and dont know what you get lol.

But again, the taste remained the same to a point of musky/earhtyness on all the strains. After 6 weeks of cure the AH getting more fruity like the actual living plant again.

I am still wondering why thats the case and i am curious for my first COB grow and its taste. Thanks for reading :)

Just my opinion on my plants, but I find that my healthiest grows with the least amount of (added) nutes always taste wonderful. Just chopped 4....2-Early Miss, 1-Blue Treacle and 1- Amphetamine auto. Each had only a few (2-3) doses of bloom nutes and the flavor came through immediately. I only grow autos and have no experience with photos.

I will transplant them in their final shoes of prefed soil for about 8 weeks. So this will be ideal for just adding rain water till the end.

Back
Top Bottom