DIY Rotary Garden Omega Garden Volksgarden Rotogro GIgrow Bonsia Bpod Odessy etc

This is a great thread and I can't wait to see what you come up with. I have a design in my head to build an aeroponic/fogponics wheel, but no drawings to share yet. It would involve some fabricated parts so I might have to learn CAD or hire an engineer to pull it off. So before I invest a bunch of time and money to make it happen, I need to know a couple of things first...

I just wonder how roots suspended in air from net pots filled with hydrotron (and/or rockwool plug) will do flying around a wheel with no medium to keep the roots in place??? Does anyone think they'll be ok moving around like that or have an opinion on the matter?

What would be the perfect spacing for plants? With my plans, there would be 24 rows with 84 plant sites total, 12 rows with 3 plant sites and 12 with 4 plant sites. The rows are 5.5" wide and plant sites spaced 7" apart. This would make it about 30 inches deep with a 4 foot diameter wheel, about the same size as the Volksgarden. Of course the width could be doubled to fit 168 sites and be about the size of the Rotogrow.

Also, what's up with the motor, has anyone found one for a reasonable price that will work and not be too loud?

PS: Steezy, I love your signature, but Thomas Jefferson died on July 4th 1826.

Do any Volksgarden owners know what the diameter of the molded piece is? And what the diameter is when the rock wool trays are on it? One of them is probably 48 inches, but does it fit in a 4 foot tent or space when it's full and the trays are on it, or is it 4ft with them off?

leo,

roots flying in air is perfectly fine as long as it's dark and near 100% humid. not hard to do.

the wheel itslef is 44 inches. however you have to add the 2.5 inches of the RW cube on top of that, so 49". i have mine in a 4x4 section of tent, but it does brush up against the walls. so its doable, but not the ideal case.

Thanks WOF! So where the stem meets the rockwool it's at 44" diameter? I was thinking about having the forest floor at 42", but I guess that would mean 1 less inch to stretch in the wheel. What do you think would be the sweet spot for that in a system that doesn't adjust? I would imagine you dont want it too far out because the plants will stretch for the light when they're young.

hey all im almost done mounting the bearings and cross rods. just waiting for my drill's battery to charge enough to drill one more hole...
so frustrating using a cordless...
anyway ive been thinking of the motor issue a lot and i think i solved it...
low rpm, good torque.
i'm going to use a windshield wiper motor!
i was thinking of using a worm gear transmission but those are expensive and hard to find. so i started thinking of things that use a worm gear and bam! popped into my head...
i think this is a perfect solution...
this way if/when it does break i can easily replace it for cheap.
you can get one off of ebay for under 30 bucks.
meh?

321065-main_Full.jpg

so i discovered this amazing program last night called sketchup.

its made by google and its free...

blew my mind...

it took my a couple of hours to figure it out but i came up with this:

Picture_51.png

Picture_63.png

...still on edge to see it get done though.

im afraid it wont be for another few weeks.

i was hoping to have it done by the time i left for colorado (week from tomorrow...) but ive run into some funding constraints. i plan on growing for my summer job so i still plan on having it done soon. i just need more moneys...

that just sparked an idea...

i should "sell" the cross tubes...

you get to have a plaque on it with your name or dedication to whoever you want...

and for the life of the machine you get and eighth (only if you have a permit!) of whatever grows in that tube section!

any takers?
hahahaha

oh and then there is this...
ive been meaning to post these pictures...
rotating cross beams...
lol
-49.jpg

and...
-57.jpg

Nice Steezy! I like it a lot, having it adjustable would be nice.But I don't understand why you don't have more plant sites.

If you're in NorCal, I may consider leasing a row or collaborating with you somehow, I have a license but no where to grow.

Nice Steezy! I like it a lot, having it adjustable would be nice.But I don't understand why you don't have more plant sites.

If you're in NorCal, I may consider leasing a row or collaborating with you somehow, I have a license but no where to grow.

sorry colorado and as far as grow sites i was concerned about the amount of space the plants need. i didnt want to over populate the wheel. im afraid the co2 levels will be dangerously low with how many plants i currently have and no co2 system in place...

think i could have more full size plants and not run into any problems?

and im angry cause i just noticed your sig! i think we should fight to the death to determine who gets to use it...

well, it looks like your still coming along, got the bearings in. . . coming along nicely.

dont worry if it takes you some time to finish it, i'm not going anywhere soon.

well, it looks like your still coming along, got the bearings in. . . coming along nicely.

dont worry if it takes you some time to finish it, i'm not going anywhere soon.

Well I put my signature up when I commented on the date being wrong on your Jefferson quote, so I had it first... hehe

I can't wait to see your wheel rolling, keep posting pics! BTW, what medium are you putting in the PVC pipe? Rockwool, Hydrotron, is it aeroponic and have no medium?

So what would be the ideal number of plant sites in a 4 foot wheel if you had no worries about CO2? I think 84 would fit nicely if they're placed diagonally instead of in rows, but what do the Volksgardeners think an ideal wheel would have?

i think we should have a look-a-like contest...
i think id win...
-68.jpg

i was zombie lincoln the next night...

-77.jpg

yayayayayayayayay....

now to get back on topic...
lol...

Back
Top Bottom