DIY Rotary Garden Omega Garden Volksgarden Rotogro GIgrow Bonsia Bpod Odessy etc

so i built the stand today...
yard sale didnt happen though.
i plan on getting the plywood and pipe next.
bearings and rods after that,
then the motor and gear stuff.
then the pumps and pvc for watering
and so on...

i showed where im putting my bearings....
they will be recessed in the wood. and they are the throw out bearing out of a 1967 vw bus.... :smokin: stoney idea... lol but works more than perfectly...
it can collapse to 4 pieces in the pic... so i think the whole thing should be fairly portable...

diy_wheel_1.JPG

diy_wheel_2.JPG

diy_wheel_3.JPG

lol but works more than perfectly...
it can collapse to 4 pieces in the pic... so i think the whole thing should be fairly portable...

Cool base but I'm really more interested in how your going fix the motor to turn the wheel and what kind of, hopefully quite, motor your going to use.

oh i forgot to mention all of that wood was free... but i did keep track for those who were arguing about a build like this...

i used 5 sticks of 2x4x10'
wood screws...

i plan on keeping a detailed list of all supplies used...

i just found an awesome deal on 4 expensive ass machine bearings(80 bucks a piece, only paying $50 for 4 of them) on my local craigslist so the vw ones are out the door but could/should be considered for someone on a budget. if you wait you can find used ones for 5-10 bucks a piece. best deals would be found at a vw show/swap meet

the ones i found have a slightly bigger inner diameter (one and a half inch to be exact)
i was wondering if you guys think a wood rod would be sufficient enough...
i think it will be... since the point of contact will be so close to the stand and bearings..

...btw i type a lot because its sunday, and im bored...

i went to get the bearings and they were way ghetto so i passed...

anyone have any ideas for some cheap bearings???

why not just get some small caster wheels or hand truck or dolly wheels from home depot? or possibly rollerblade bearings, or get a really small kids bike wheel. . . that would even be geared for you already.

how are you planning to power it?

my suggestion is do what you know your going to do next. . . so for instance build the wheel.

if you build it, certain things may become more clear. like how big or sturdy your bearings need to be or maybe something bigger would be better (esp for the drive wheel)

yeah the bearings would have to be bigger than just some handtruck ones or ones out of some skates.

i just found the perfect website. they have a ton of bearings at way low prices...

bearing outlet dot com

ones im going to order have an inner diameter of 1.5 inches so the rods the wheel will rest on will be strong enough.

my only worry is that the bearings are not going to want to spin easily.

youre right though. im not letting the bearings stop me though. if i get them and they dont work then ill just find different heavier duty ones... im going to order those and hope for the best. i might get some ply this weekend and start on the wheel.

wait, idea time... what if i put the bearings two wide at each support point? distribute the load more...

this forum seems really slow... :(

this forum seems really slow... :(

Because everyone is probably waiting on you to keep us updated. Your probably the only one here that's actually showing progress. :/

Because everyone is probably waiting on you to keep us updated. Your probably the only one here that's actually showing progress. :/

lol wow. no pressure huh? i dont mean to be an attention whore i just wish more people would criticize my wheel. i love the stuff wheelofortune had to say really made me think about my plans... i guess it doesnt help that i have ocd and check my email for responses like a bagillion times a day... literally.

lol wow. no pressure huh? i dont mean to be an attention whore i just wish more people would criticize my wheel. i love the stuff wheelofortune had to say really made me think about my plans... i guess it doesnt help that i have ocd and check my email for responses like a bagillion times a day... literally.

Sooo I would like to post my old comment again.

I'm really more interested in how your going fix the motor to turn the wheel and what kind of, hopefully quite, motor your going to use. How are you going to do this?

And if you want criticism, then post pics of tha "wheel". WOF already said somethings about your "base" that's been up here for awhile.

As a generalization 19 out of 20 people that view these threads don't have the ability to post because they haven't registered.

Of the the 5% that can, a lot are just watching and learning. Particularly, in a situation where you have a highly advanced growing technique and a competent do it yourselfer, stepping up to try to improve on the commercially available product.

Personally, I'm fascinated by this and I've been checking out your blog as well (PM'd the link to WOF the other day).

While I don't feel qualified to critique any technical aspect of what you're building I can help with an explanation of your viewership stats, and speculate on why I think a lot of people aren't commenting yet ;)

Build on, there's a large audience watching, we're just quiet :surf:

Hey everyone sorry for not being on in awhile... i have the best excuse though...

two words: swine flu.

yeah so im still waiting on my bearings but great news as far as funding goes....

i sold both of my cars!!! (well one so far but the check is "in the mail" for the second) so i should have enough to get everything going pretty quickly....

once i get the bearings and cross rods put in ill start working on the basin for the nutrients and then the wheel and then the gears and such. so look forward to some updates in the next week or so!

Hey everyone sorry for not being on in awhile... i have the best excuse though...

two words: swine flu.

Glad you're feeling better man,

You know they said in the 80's that pigs would fly before Marijuana would be legalized.

And now what do we see?

Swine Flu :cheesygrinsmiley:

Bearings are here!!! I'm about to go get my rods and a drill bit the same size of the bearings...

check for my other car should be here today or tomorrow so i should be able get a bunch of the stuff this weekend...

i guess i should probably get a jigsaw too just so i dont have to borrow one anymore...

one with laser... YEAH!

PS.
Photo_86.jpg

Back
Top Bottom