DIY Rotary Garden Omega Garden Volksgarden Rotogro GIgrow Bonsia Bpod Odessy etc

last one i was checking on the guy was selling it because it was his friend and his friend left town in a hury it read about the same kinda strange if u ask me it could be the same one and could have a tracking device on it or something and they keep just reselling it after they give the person enough time to get started.

last one i was checking on the guy was selling it because it was his friend and his friend left town in a hury it read about the same kinda strange if u ask me it could be the same one and could have a tracking device on it or something and they keep just reselling it after they give the person enough time to get started.

Very good point inferno420, I bet ya can get a device to sweep over the things to make sure they are not bugged, and that would be a good thing to use on all of the things ya buy.

Cheers,
Maxx

I don't know about bugs. But I am continually amazed that people who live in non-MMJ states purchase growing equipment that screams "DOPE" (as opposed to the generic stuff that you might be growing orchids or whatever under the "sun" with) from police auction sites or anything of the kind. (I don't think there is any kind of law that prohibits the man from sending lists of names/addresses of the equipment purchasers to the agencies in whichever jurisdiction that applies and attaching a note that says, "They might not be growing pot in their closet - but they just bought everything that they would need to do so." Although I could be wrong. I suppose since such a thing wouldn't necessarily be used in a future warrant (but rather just to get them to start looking for the things that would be used in one) that they would be likely to do it regardless.)

Sure, it's not enough for a warrant.

People who don't EVER get caught stop way BEFORE they get to the "it's not enough for a warrant" point. Would you want to be "known" as someone who cultivates? It tends to lead to a bit of hassle lmao. And I always figured that the first step was them just deciding that you were one to keep an eye on.

TS, nothing is stopping them, but if it's a considerable percentage of your business, it'd be pretty stupid to kill your customer base. especially if your product works.

Everything's a small part of a bigger picture, buy getting the small parts right is what makes the big picture beautiful :rollit: ...and winning an argument when the argument is about how to factually do something can very often serves much more then ones ego.

:peace:

But you're wrong, you can't win an argument that you started, just because you're wrong and don't see how.

He is right about the aeration, about the RW being a wicking media that will saturate and therefore deprive early root systems of essential oxygen, hindering long term development.

He is also right about air in the reservoir mixing the solution, causing particles of specific nutrients to reach equilibrium in suspension. Without suspension and equilibrium your plants root system is getting uneven amounts of nutrients, and insufficient amounts of nutrients as particles are dropping out of solution due to gravity and are resting on the bottom of your reservoir where they're of little use to the roots begging for them above.

On top of all that though, the pH of raw water is useless without proper aeration. Maximum Yield the magazine has an excellent article in there Sept/Oct Canadian issue which is freely available on their website, this article goes in the depth of detail on the why's of the above statement. But to summarize I quote this

"The pH of water rarely indicates how much acid or alkali is needed to change the pH. For example, it is not uncommon to have two different samples of water of equal pH where one requires four times more pH adjustment than the other. This phenomenon is due to the concentrations of bicarbonate and carbon dioxide present in the water. It is particularly pronounced with bore waters."

Proper aeration is REQUIRED to eliminate this factor. You may have a successful grow without focusing on this factor, but that doesn't mean you have an optimal grow.

Because of the above valid and correct points, you owe him an apology and if there was an argument YOU LOST.

"He is right about the aeration, about the RW being a wicking media that will saturate and therefore deprive early root systems of essential oxygen, hindering long term development."

Properties of Rockwool as a Substrate
The water holding capacity and drainage characteristics of substrates vary. Grodan rockwool, when allowed to drain by gravitational pull, i.e. at field capacity contains 80% solution, 15% air pore space and 5% rockwool fibers. This ratio of solution to air promotes vigorous root growth. Plants growing on rockwool will remove solution and increase the ration of air-pore space to solution. Thus, if a higher proportion of air is desired in the root zone increasing the time between watering will increase the percent of air.
The tension required to remove solution from rockwool increases only slightly as rockwool dries. This means that it is as easy for a plant to remove solution from saturated rockwool as it is from rockwool that has given up 50% or even 70% of its moisture. Thus, plants grown in rockwool are not exposed to water stress until the rockwool is almost completely dry. Given that a standard rockwool slab used for tomato production holds 15 liters of water, the grower has tremendous flexibility with regard to watering and control over the air content of the root zone. However, the grower must be careful because the plants will not show signs of water stress until it is too late. A watchful eye on the conditions in the root zone is required. Courtesy of hydroponics101dotcom/sw63706.asp

Sounds like the other way round, and not saturation may be more of a potential problem with RW.

Cheers,
Maxx

Good point Max. I guess I was wrong about that point, since the slow turning should allow the RW time to release solution.

However, there are still NUMEROUS reasons to aerate your solution properly, including balanced pH, suspension of nutrients in equilibrium in solution, resistance to pathogenic viruses.

So where-as I may have been incorrect in the assertion of RW saturation. There is still a laundry list of reasons why you would want to.

I have to also point out to be fair, that I was reading an article in Maximum Yield randomly, and it did state that the plant can absorb air above the root line. So he is correct it can get air even if the media is 100% saturated, the issue then becomes... how healthy is that for the plant?

Good point Max. I guess I was wrong about that point, since the slow turning should allow the RW time to release solution.

However, there are still NUMEROUS reasons to aerate your solution properly, including balanced pH, suspension of nutrients in equilibrium in solution, resistance to pathogenic viruses.

So where-as I may have been incorrect in the assertion of RW saturation. There is still a laundry list of reasons why you would want to.

I have to also point out to be fair, that I was reading an article in Maximum Yield randomly, and it did state that the plant can absorb air above the root line. So he is correct it can get air even if the media is 100% saturated, the issue then becomes... how healthy is that for the plant?

Would be nice to have the ultimate testing facility to settle out all of these theories.

Cheers,
Maxx

I thought of a cheap way to DIY but I still need more info on motors.... And where to get quite ones! Does anyone know a good site info on motors?

High Gamer:welcome:
You'll find a lot to know here at 420Magazine.
For the rest::surf:the path to knowlege

Kool but I used the searched bar and I still can't find anything about motors. More help would be appreciated!

i could prob do a bit of research and figure out what motor the volks uses, but I have thought about this and came to this conclusion: If you are thinking of building a rotating garden, your load and coefficient of friction and a whole bunch of other factors are going to be so different that you are in all likelihood going to have to rescale it to fit your system anyways. . .

I can tell you that it rotates the wheel at about 1 rotation per 45 minutes. It is geared down quite a bit, and it is pretty loud, but i haven't done anything about that yet. . . it sucks i think for 2 grand they skimp a bit on the motor. i'd love to replace it so why would you want to copy it?

when i was thinking about it i think i found some cheap roaster motors that would be an easy retrofit. you know the electric motors that drive the skewers in pig roasts or ox roasts. they're pretty strong and you could easily gear one with some bicycle parts or something. take a goog at some.

gl, if anything ever comes to fruition send us a pic.

i'd love to replace it so why would you want to copy it?

when i was thinking about it i think i found some cheap roaster motors that would be an easy retrofit.

Well I've never seen one before. I just assumed that it was quiet.... Now I stand corrected.... But thanks on the idea on cheap roaster motors.... I was thinkin' wouldn't wood be cheaper and just as sturdy?

Well I've never seen one before. I just assumed that it was quiet.... Now I stand corrected.... But thanks on the idea on cheap roaster motors.... I was thinkin' wouldn't wood be cheaper and just as sturdy?

probably, but also a hell of a lot heavier. . . if I build one, i might use wood, it would be hella sturdy thats for sure.

probably, but also a hell of a lot heavier. . . if I build one, i might use wood, it would be hella sturdy thats for sure.

Haha your right it would be heavier.... But what motor do you think could handle that weight?

And what would be lighter but just as sturdy and cheaper? Wood is the only thing I can think of....

And what would be the best thing to coat wood with so it won't decay, bend, and ect. because of the water. Or would that be bad because nutes might suck it up?

I can tell you that it rotates the wheel at about 1 rotation per 45 minutes. It is geared down quite a bit, and it is pretty loud, but i haven't done anything about that yet. . . it sucks i think for 2 grand they skimp a bit on the motor. i'd love to replace it so why would you want to copy it?

man i would be furious if someone sold me a system like this for that much money and it was loud.

hey y'all! i joined the forums for this thread. sad to see that there arent more actual systems shown in this thread but oh well. im designing mine as we speak but i wont be in colorado (where i am growing legally) for another month or so. prob going to start building it here and take it out there...

i think i have all the bases covered with my machine. some highlights:
1.you CAN adjust the distance from the plants to the light furthest distance being almost 3 feet away from the the lamp.
2. not a priority right now but i plan on incorporating a co2 system which i havent seen in a rotary grow yet...
3. oh and it can only hold 16 plants im afraid of making anything bigger for my first machine. but once i work out the kinks i could build exact same system just double the width of the machine. doubling my crop. maybe triple the width eventually????

this is ALL hypothetical at this point but ive built tons of stuff in the past im great with my hands and i DO have ocd (it helps. lol)

im a little self conscious about my drawing skills but ill prob post some design ideas later...

great forum though. hope i can contribute.

this is ALL hypothetical at this point but ive built tons of stuff in the past im great with my hands and i DO have ocd (it helps. lol)

im a little self conscious about my drawing skills but ill prob post some design ideas later...

great forum though. hope i can contribute.

Can't wait until I see tha designs man!

High steezy,

We've got lots of interested DIY's sitting on the edge of their seat dying to watch you do it.

Hope you'll post your work here for us to follow along with you ;)

Back
Top Bottom