DIY SIPs Duterte's Nightmare - Mystery S. Asia Sativa - Zkittlz, Runtz, OG UV, God's Gift, GG#4, 1st Grow In 20yrs

Hmmm. Mold on top. Don't think mine ever did that. I'll have to look up in my sources to see I I can find you an answer.
Thank you!
But they look good from the pictures. How long have they been extracting?
I am glad to hear you say they look good!
How long have they been extracting???
Hmmm...... Well, you said 6 months, and the earliest jars have an "Open On" 1/25/2023, so I assume the earliest jar was made around July 25, 2022.
And then we add a jar or two a week, but more now, because we found a super-easy way to get trout, and I haven't had fish since Fukushima, so we are enjoying them a lot!
I ordered a bunch more jars so we can keep going. Eventually we will want to use them to fertilize the farm (so I am getting a lot more jars).

I need to get some comfrey and nettles planted, so I can make some of @Azimuth 's teas.
I put it on my list for tomorrow.

Ok, I signed up. Thank you.
127 pages!! It may take me some time to catch up, but I want to read at least the first few pages, so I am oriented. (And the rest may take time.)
You can bet that after harvest a more succinct version will be in the works, fear not. You may miss some of the colour, but the method is really well laid out. It will make a great Tek PDF. You'll enjoy.

Right Bill?

Going somewhere new you have to have people there accept you on some, if not all terms. In that case I would be wary with the comfrey. I could not find the "Bokker 14", the only cultivar I know of that is infertile here in Canada. Well, I did find it, but they were out and it was July so in June I planted a piece I found on my neighbour's lawn. Thing is, that lawn was nothing but comfrey three years ago when he moved in. It took that long to reclaim the space because it is so invasive. I volunteered that I would grow it in a single garden space and manage it by snipping heads off before becoming flowers. Shouldn't be an issue, hasn't been so far. I planted this piece in my 3ftx5ftx30ft raised veg bed just so I could now dig up a huge rhizome and separate it and plant in my food-fertilizer forest space. Maybe just go with "yard" next time. Forgive me, I have to blather on like this, it's like having to go pee. Well, no one`s making you look. Sheesh

BTW those leaves are over 3ft long. It’s a mad thing. I want to grow enough to actually get my juice by squeezing it out slowly with a weight on top of it inside a long cylinder like a large PVC or a 50gal drum. Potent! Thanks for passing this knowledge on @Azimuth , I’ve been following up on all most all of it I think and to great personal benefit. I owe you my friend. I’m at your service.
C0783B82-793C-459D-BF89-8907BE66DA43.jpeg

Going somewhere new you have to have people there accept you on some, if not all terms. In that case I would be wary with the comfrey. I could not find the "Bokker 14", the only cultivar I know of that is infertile here in Canada. Well, I did find it, but they were out and it was July so in June I planted a piece I found on my neighbour's lawn. Thing is, that lawn was nothing but comfrey three years ago when he moved in. It took that long to reclaim the space because it is so invasive. I volunteered that I would grow it in a single garden space and manage it by snipping heads off before becoming flowers. Shouldn't be an issue, hasn't been so far. I planted this piece in my 3ftx5ftx30ft raised veg bed just so I could now dig up a huge rhizome and separate it and plant in my food-fertilizer forest space. Maybe just go with "yard" next time. Forgive me, I have to do this, it's having to go pee. Well, no one`s making you look. Sheesh

BTW those leaves are over 3ft long. It’s a mad thing. I want to grow enough to actually get my juice by squeezing it out slowly with a weight on top of it inside a long cylinder like large PVC or. a 50gal drum. Potent! Thanks for passing this knowledge on @Azimuth , I’ve been following up on all most all of it I think and to great personal benefit. I owe you my friend. I’m at your service.
C0783B82-793C-459D-BF89-8907BE66DA43.jpeg
Thanks, RD!
I am thinking about growing the comfrey and the nettles and the dandelions in pots on the roof of my next place.
How much plant mass am I going for?

if you're somewhere wet like me, Canada W. Coast, UK, SE Asia, Parts of Central and S. America, then probably half as many as if you live somewhere dry. That is all the 'for sure' knowledge I've yet to glean. I'll try to share more on this while I get on top of it again an look for more info, I'm replanting this over next ten days. Best I can do presently, mate. Bon chance.

I use the Bill284 Method religiously.... if by religiously we mean with some adaptations.

@Bill284 I've been using your methods since the day you taught me but because I'm watering from below with capillary action I have had to make a change. That "sucking up" of liquid is slowed when the liquid confronts a significant border created by an altogether new medium, even if both mediums are excellent at capillary action by themselves, this is a hydrological oddity that I have to account for.

However, I use all of the same ingredients and in approximately similar amounts as you describe. While my planter soil is 60peat/40perlite, for my seedlings in their wee little SIPPY-bags I use 60%perlite, 40% peat. I do lay on the frass and other amendments/inoculants in layers though, and I activate with a spray-down of LABs, the same bacteria in your bokashi, just in liquid form because it's homemade from milk powder (gotta find cost reductions). I think it's fair to say that I use the "@Bill284 Method, Version 1.1 for SIPs", would you?

I keep a spray bottle during this pot(er, bag) build-up that has humates in it and Liquidirt (comparable to your bioThrive - but better ;>}) and spray often. I also add mycorrhizal inoculant in the layers as you describe, moistening with the humates and liquidirt as I build up.

I am experimenting with all of the ingredients laid out in 'peanut buster parfait layers' exactly as you teach and it does still eventually move the water upward, just more slowly when layered. This could be used to my advantage at some stage so when I'm confident I understand the speed and issues it's likely I will utilize it when appropriate.

So, as it stands I use exactly the same ingredients: have upped my perlite portion to 60%, but at this time mix evenly throughout the pot, I do have layers of frass and mycos that I activate with a spray of Lactus Baccilus (bokashi), LiquiDirt, and humates (humic, folic acids - chelates).

What's LiquiDirt? Look. It. Up. I have no connection to the company, but just think the stuff is best-of-class.
You describe everything better than I ever could.
Your bamboo idea is interesting aswell.
LiquiDirt ok what the heck is zymology? Hehe. and nano powder?
So their is a name for it.
The microbe production we use, cool.
5 years to make a batch, must be awesome.
It says it's a liquid powder ?
Now I have something else for the shopping list.
If I hang out with you long enough I might just learn how to grow. :thumb:
Take care Rd talk soon. :ciao:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

You can bet that after harvest a more succinct version will be in the works, fear not. You may miss some of the colour, but the method is really well laid out. It will make a great Tek PDF. You'll enjoy.

Right Bill?
I don't know now.
You explain my method better than I ever could.
We will have to collaborate.
I'll do pics and you do descriptions and explanations.
Howie can run HR. :rofl:
It works so at least I know that much. ;)
Thanks RD.:ciao:

Stay safe

I am thinking about growing the comfrey and the nettles and the dandelions in pots on the roof of my next place.
Keep in mind that the main reason these things work so well as fertilizers is that their super long tap roots 'mine' minerals from far deeper in the soil than most plants can reach. That obviously doesn't happen in a pot. Much better planted in the ground.

And I'm going to put in another plug for acquiring Bocking 14, the sterile version. Yes, you can cut the flowers of non-sterile cultivars before they produce seeds, but you, and  everyone that comes after you forever has to do it diligently. Miss one time and that's it. You now have thousands of plants that also produce seed that you'll never get rid if or be able to dig up. Think you can count on yourself to be able to do that health wise forever? And every generation that comes after?

Better to do it right the first time than create a nightmare for you and your neighbors.

Keep in mind that the main reason these things work so well as fertilizers is that their super long tap roots 'mine' minerals from far deeper in the soil than most plants can reach. That obviously doesn't happen in a pot. Much better planted in the ground.

And I'm going to put in another plug for acquiring Bocking 14, the sterile version. Yes, you can cut the flowers of non-sterile cultivars before they produce seeds, but you, and  everyone that comes after you forever has to do it diligently. Miss one time and that's it. You now have thousands of plants that also produce seed that you'll never get rid if or be able to dig up. Think you can count on yourself to be able to do that health wise forever? And every generation that comes after?

Better to do it right the first time than create a nightmare for you and your neighbors.
Yeah true about the container growing, dynamic accumulates have to have something to accumulate.

Yes, I can count on myself preventing the flowers from coming like I do myriad of other plants in the garden. I have a very specific list for any helpers when not feeling well enough.

I spend 2-3 hours doing outdoor gardening every day. It is just usually spread over 10 hours because I have to come inside after short time usually and recover from nausea and dizziness all the moving around caused.

15-30min of work requires 1-2 hours of recovery. I spend the time BSing online with you guys, I write my MP, watch prerecorded F1 and NFL, make to do lists and read the Washington Post, NYTimes, Sunday Times, Guardian, Globe and Mail, and The Atlantic. Often I have to just listen to an internet reader ‘cause the screen, or just keeping my eyes open makes me sick.

I whacked me head again with a fall y.day and am pretty pissed about it. I was on the ladder going to tend the moms whom I have not yet transplanted and to work on the multi-plant kiddie pool SIP when I slipped and so with my good foot pushed myself up and right into an overhead beam. Right on the soft spot on top of head. Almost blacked out, had to bite my tongue to keep conscious. Gotta get the Mom patrol situated in SIPs and camera installed so I don't have to go up so often

@Bill284 you asked while ago, don't have SIP set up for moms yet but here's a pic to help visualize location. Plants are ridiculously healthy up there. Benefits of Sun and LED lights together are the best possible scenario. Might grow out some autos up there in the mommy-pool SIPs
EBD46411-B7FC-4C09-9C24-2F543DB25D18.jpeg
DC07EBCE-1943-469F-A1F6-2A4270BDCD1B.jpeg

if you're somewhere wet like me, Canada W. Coast, UK, SE Asia, Parts of Central and S. America, then probably half as many as if you live somewhere dry. That is all the 'for sure' knowledge I've yet to glean. I'll try to share more on this while I get on top of it again an look for more info, I'm replanting this over next ten days. Best I can do presently, mate. Bon chance.
Thanks, RD.
It is a wet place. It rains almost every day. Temperate rainforest.

Well, I appreciate what you are saying. Only, I can't get seeds for a sterile cultivar, and they won't allow live cuttings past customs. So not due to my choice, it is regular from seed, or nothing.
And I believe stinging nettle is the same way??
(Sometimes customs helps us find humor in new places.)

I ordered dandelion seeds (could not find them!). I believe they will probably grow wild where we are going (temperate rainforest), but we will see.
Do you have other ideas as to what I can grow, if comfrey and stinging nettle are out?

I am looking forward to RD's bamboo tea!
They love bamboo here.

What are my other plant options?

Yeah true about the container growing, dynamic accumulates have to have something to accumulate.

Yes, I can count on myself preventing the flowers from coming like I do myriad of other plants in the garden. I have a very specific list for any helpers when not feeling well enough. I spend 2-3 hours doing outdoor gardening every day. It is just usually spread over 10 hours because I have to come inside after short time usually and recover from nausea and dizzinessall the moving around caused. 15-30min of work, 1-2 hours of recovery I BS online with you guys, write my MP, watch prerecorded F1 and NFL, make to do lists and read the Post, Times, Sunday Times, Guardian, Globe and Mail, The Atlantic. Often I have to just listen to an internet reader cause the screen makes me sick.

I whacked me head again with a fall y.day and am pretty pissed about it. I was on the ladder going to tend the moms whom I have not yet transplanted and to work on the multi-plant kiddie pool SIP when I slipped and so with my good foot pushed myself up and right into an overhead beam. Right on the soft spot on top of head. Almost blacked out, had to bite my tongue to keep conscious. Gotta get the Mom patrol situated in SIPs and camera installed so I don't have to go up so often

@Bill284 you asked while ago, don't have SIP set up for moms yet but here's a pic to help visualize location. Plants are ridiculously healthy up there. Benefits of Sun and LED lights together are the best possible scenario. Might grow out some autos up there in the mommy-pool SIPs
Hey RD, I sure hope you get your health problems sorted soon. I am praying for you.

0D9E9172-110D-48E2-8511-821700ADA6C8.jpeg

7E2AE7E4-EEDF-4847-8F58-87A0BD42C53B.jpeg

I did a major defoliation in prep for flipping to flower.

Dang these SIPs produce biomass. Still can get a bit surprised two years into using them.

These were transplanted in as 2 node plants on Aug 18th.

Can’t wait to grow clones side by side with a DWC.

Considering doing a slow switch to flower as recommended in advanced cultivation article on cannabis from Mycelium Farmer. Wish I had the controller for light so I could create a light prescription for myself and run it. 150$ Kingbrite incl. shipping. Each different light type on the array has own driver, so can be tuned individually. One day.

@Emilya Green I have a couple discoveries on Dollie’s for these big mommas.

1, you need them. Thing’s are over 200lbs if they’re an ounce.

2 use 360 degree wheels on all corners. I did 2 straight 2 360 deg here and am going to swap them out for all 360s

3, I took measures to make sure I could manage but there is a height penalty to some SIP designs, most actually. Look at my tape measure to consider what’s good for you.

4 If you can countersink do that, I’m not good at it and was worried my plywood at 1/2 inch might be fatally weakened by it so I chose round head bolts (metric size 10s, 1 inch’s long with locknuts, 32 thread)
There are smaller wheels but I didn’t use due to weight ratings.

I’m planning to leave on Dollie’s 24/7 to afford best access to plant for maint. Works super well. I’m presently building an independent scrog for each storage tote/sip for training during stretch to make best use of light footprint which is nice and big under these 1100w KBs.

Using pliable plastic fencing for scrog grid and bamboo poles jammed in the spaces between Geopots and plastic totes for the structural elements. Watch this space!

In order to point growth away from the other plant in container I recommend installing a 90 degree training clip at base of plant as soon as feasible. I did with one plant and it’s the shizz. Push toward ends of container, not sides. If seedlings have low stretch between node do it anyway I’d say, wait as long as you feel prudent the install that clip.

All my SIP plants were topped of growth above node 4 but lower limbs left intact and brought up to create central colas. I used @Carcass Carhooks and they’re fantastic. Totally flexibility. Thanks @Carcass !!!

Love the room with the skylights! My veg room getting full of SIPs!:hookah: Cheers
Hiya Northward, welcome! Hope you’ll stick around, we’re on the bleeding edge over here with SIPs (lol). You can learn from my mistakes!
FD97B11D-15F7-419D-8490-86A01B3204A9.jpeg

Agreed on skylights. It’s kinda the obverse of a led light supplemented greenhouse. Works a bit too well for moms that you want to grow slowly, however winter will help with that issue. That 50$ 100k lumen led shop light is a helluva veg light. Made by Feit for anyone interested, cannot dim (tried with external dimmer) and the 360 light pattern could be an issue for traditional setups. Plants love to veg under this though, reminds me of the 315w cmh’s. Light is only 100w draw.

0D9E9172-110D-48E2-8511-821700ADA6C8.jpeg

7E2AE7E4-EEDF-4847-8F58-87A0BD42C53B.jpeg

I did a major defoliation in prep for flipping to flower.

Dang these SIPs produce biomass. Still can get a bit surprised two years into using them.

These were transplanted in as 2 node plants on Aug 18th.

Can’t wait to grow clones side by side with a DWC.

Considering doing a slow switch to flower as recommended in advanced cultivation article on cannabis from Mycelium Farmer. Wish I had the controller for light so I could create a light prescription for myself and run it. 150$ Kingbrite incl. shipping. Each different light type on the array has own driver, so can be tuned individually. One day.

@Emilya Green I have a couple discoveries on Dollie’s for these big mommas.

1, you need them. Thing’s are over 200lbs if they’re an ounce.

2 use 360 degree wheels on all corners. I did 2 straight 2 360 deg here and am going to swap them out for all 360s

3, I took measures to make sure I could manage but there is a height penalty to some SIP designs, most actually. Look at my tape measure to consider what’s good for you.

4 If you can countersink do that, I’m not good at it and was worried my plywood at 1/2 inch might be fatally weakened by it so I chose round head bolts (metric size 10s, 1 inch’s long with locknuts, 32 thread)
There are smaller wheels but I didn’t use due to weight ratings.

I’m planning to leave on Dollie’s 24/7 to afford best access to plant for maint. Works super well. I’m presently building an independent scrog for each storage tote/sip for training during stretch to make best use of light footprint which is nice and big under these 1100w KBs.

Using pliable plastic fencing for scrog grid and bamboo poles jammed in the spaces between Geopots and plastic totes for the structural elements. Watch this space!

In order to point growth away from the other plant in container I recommend installing a 90 degree training clip at base of plant as soon as feasible. I did with one plant and it’s the shizz. Push toward ends of container, not sides. If seedlings have low stretch between node do it anyway I’d say, wait as long as you feel prudent the install that clip.

All my SIP plants were topped of growth above node 4 but lower limbs left intact and brought up to create central colas. I used @Carcass Carhooks and they’re fantastic. Totally flexibility. Thanks @Carcass !!!
I should've mentioned that I do daily defoliation at an average of five leaves per plant, per day. I'm following a routine described by the gentle yet rakish, not to mention very helpful member, @Hafta , minus his Constant Stress Training (CST) using fishing weights. Instead, I'm using CarhooksTM (lol) invented by the debonaire and magnanimous, @Carcass.

Hafta describes and portrays his method earlier in this thread and I'm very grateful to him for doing so. Check it out.

Its calls for leaving as many large fan leaves as possible around the outside and bottom of the plant. Yet he takes leaves daily as I do, mentioning that this eliminates a significant stress event that slows growth for a few days if one does it all at once. I confess I've long thought this was the way to go so I've got a pretty big confirmation bias going there.

I simply couldn't keep up, even though I was daily pruning these beasts they were pumping out the green in a raw display of plant power impressive enough to almost make you horny!

Hey, I did say almost.

F@%$&*% 420 members, you people are kicking names and taking asses all over the place, am I right? Big Love.
1f3fa09f90e3347894ec65d5b63be6b735f82bc0_2_378x500.jpeg

I do have a couple other specifics with respect to training that are about overcoming the unfortunate proximity to each other that my SIP hack must contend with. If you are interested just ask. I'll be illustrating as we go along. Hopefully, I finish the dollies and SCROG system today or tomorrow. I really need to get the Mom's SIP installed upstairs though, I had an accident on the stairs yesterday, as predicted, and hit my head hard, and that wouldn't have happened if I'd had that SIP system in place... Dammit! Somehow I escaped concussion. Felt terrible going to sleep, I feel completely fine today. F%$@ yes!
38f94997f31d6a2134f01a0ed2513e99724a37f2.jpeg

Yes, I can count on myself preventing the flowers from coming like I do myriad of other plants in the garden. I have a very specific list for any helpers when not feeling well enough.

I spend 2-3 hours doing outdoor gardening every day. It is just usually spread over 10 hours because I have to come inside after short time usually and recover from nausea and dizziness all the moving around caused.

15-30min of work requires 1-2 hours of recovery. I spend the time BSing online with you guys, I write my MP, watch prerecorded F1 and NFL, make to do lists and read the Washington Post, NYTimes, Sunday Times, Guardian, Globe and Mail, and The Atlantic. Often I have to just listen to an internet reader ‘cause the screen, or just keeping my eyes open makes me sick.

Fek sake why do you not have foam on that beam? :Namaste:
There are probably a couple other safety features you could incorporate.
Maby a Holy Fek handle here or there just incase.
Safety doesn't just mean smoke detectors my friend.
Especially us, people with balance issues.
Just don't want you to get hurt. :hug:
Great setup up there, sun and led.:nerd-with-glasses:
Interesting. :rofl:
I been dieing to see it actually, I took screen shots.
Take care please.

Stay safe

No sweat @Bill284 , glad you like the room. However, I can't imagine what made it sound so interesting when I was talking about it. It's a funny little half-room like in that movie Being John Malcovich where they discover half a floor in a skyscraper and it's really a trans-dimensional portal.
4fe0d3e5b8abb6c555ca13f49e5887c56b1c8ede.jpeg

Growing up there wasn't even in my original plans, even though I heavily considered it. The height issue finally scared me off, back when I envisioned a two-tent system, one for vegging with cheap led shop lights, and one for flowering with an investment-level, massive PPD stats grow light - using seeds with some possible clones only if I found plants that I really, really wanted to keep growing.

However, when my light arrived direct from the manufacturer with superficial shipping damage, they chose to give me a second light for free rather than have me send back the old one for exchange. No argument here, obviously. Anyway, I wasn't gonna waste, by using for a veg tent, a 2950ppd, 10-bar fixture with a 5x5 flowering footprint, Samsung l301h white diodes, a sprinkling of respectable FR diodes, and UV diodes each run by a total of 3 separate, indiv controllable Meanwell drivers, mounted in an ultra-high-performance heatsink.
What would you do? Not waste it vegging plants? Congrats, excellent decision! So *boom* my flowering capacity blew up, yet at the same time also swallowed my vegging budget because now I had to house both lights, and cool, ventilate

So, I figured we'd try for some large specimen cloning as you had done, to at least impact vegging times modestly and reduce the costs of running "non-flowering" plants.

That decision was made, however, (stick with me!) while I was still primed to run DWC for at least one cycle before turning to SIPs (DWC was sexy, ok, that's all I got for you). That matters because the cloner I built is a low pressure aero/spray hydro type that will trigger the growth of H2O-suited / specialized roots on a plant, the kind that would transfer to the DWC rez seamlessly.
099cde5bccabe9c043d880dc3a4adc89572b8bf1.gif

Now, however, still trying to complete my first cycle, I'm growing in peat SIPs due to 'life' and rez temps. So, there's just not as much, er.... synergy between my different growth phases as there should be, and I'm not happy about that.
I have no idea how this SIP system will take clones. Well, ok, not true - I've read a great many descriptions of successful clone transplants which I believe to be true and perhaps even the norm, but I've not even begun this process personally. I know seeds aren't that expensive given the results, but I got so burned ordering seeds my first time this spring, and then had so many issues with the seeds I did get ahold of, that I'm afraid of my own shadow when it comes to seeds now. I can honestly say I'd prefer to grow them if possible without hassle or exorbitant cost, but my confidence just isn't there over buying seeds.
706cbca6895e98b5f0cdedc87740962b26fab463.jpeg

So, I'mt gonna put a kiddy pool in my attic now, yep with water, and yet not sure, sure, it's the best idea, but don't have any others. "Nothing to see here folks, just few hundred litres in my attic." No idea either how I'm going to safely hang a 100w fixture weighing over 5 lbs over a pool of water, let alone balance 3 gal soft pots full of peat and plants onto 4-inch wide SIP wicking feet made from perf drainage pipe. Oh and prevent massive RH spikes and keep evap in the pool.
bf4eb5eadb99bd2425e88272ad5ed99339e3ae5e.gif

Back
Top Bottom