DIY SIPs Duterte's Nightmare - Mystery S. Asia Sativa - Zkittlz, Runtz, OG UV, God's Gift, GG#4, 1st Grow In 20yrs

I think there is real value to hands-on experiments...
I read this as... the proof is in the pudding. SIP is showing some awesome results... take note!

In our amazing relationship with this plant, we try some things and see what the plant likes the most. Whether or not we can ultimately prove things scientifically isn't really the point, is it? Some of what we are doing is highly complex, if you were to try to quantify *everything* that's going on. Ultimately, the plant is smarter than we are – we are just trying to understand what she needs, for whatever environment we happen to grow her in.

I'm loving this relationship – it's a deep universe. And I appreciate all who contribute here to this amazing multi-part symphony. If you can hold a good rhythm, you're in!

I read this as... the proof is in the pudding. SIP is showing some awesome results... take note!

In our amazing relationship with this plant, we try some things and see what the plant likes the most. Whether or not we can ultimately prove things scientifically isn't really the point, is it? Some of what we are doing is highly complex, if you were to try to quantify *everything* that's going on. Ultimately, the plant is smarter than we are – we are just trying to understand what she needs, for whatever environment we happen to grow her in.

I'm loving this relationship – it's a deep universe. And I appreciate all who contribute here to this amazing multi-part symphony. If you can hold a good rhythm, you're in!
unknwn-seal.jpg

HI @cbdhemp808 . I was over on your current grow journal last night and found it very engaging. I try to read from the beginning wherever possible (no thanks to the perpetual grow/journals among us! (lol) ) so I'm still catching up to where you're at presently, and enableled to comment in context over there, I but look forward to it. Just a habit of mine.

I lived 'off grid' for some years (5-6 straight, and some summers here and there afterward) and it's one of the great experiences of my life. Learning to become self-sufficient.

That self-sufficiency, I discovered, is not something that leaves me when I rejoin civilization, and, provided one can abide the constant dissonance that surrounds you (by comparison to nature's awesome display of a multidimensional web operating with interconnectivity at levels of depth and height we're required to enter altered states of consciousness in order to begin to appreciate), then the experience will benefit you tremendously whatever culture or civilization you find yourself in. This has been my experience, at least, and I was wondering if you have any insight on this.

That dissonance I mentioned is real and profound and for me was deeply felt simply making a monthly or seasonal 'town run' to fill stores and acquire tools, mechanical parts, whatever, even in relatively small villages and towns. I thought it remarkable that a month or three without contact with strangers, of not seeing any human-built infrastructure but my modest own examples, had such a strong impact on me and it coloured my thoughts about re-engaging and the possibilities for returning to it to live again. I was concerned I'd been spoiled, ruined by it, incapable of happiness among strangers and predominant humanness as far as the eye could see. So glad it wasn't nearly as bad as all that! Returning was not without its extremely challenging difficulties but ironically, I'm not sure I could manage to live in civilization now without first having lived outside it.

My time was in a rather more temperate locale than yours but, like yours, also one of the richest biodiversity collections on earth, that is, the mid and northern British Columbia coastline. It's the last great North American wilderness, where all of the continents great predator land mammals, grizzly bear, wolf, mountain lions and many more, have been backed into by human expansion and active denial of their most basic needs. They can retreat no further with the sea at their backs. We'll see in future generations whether, perhaps due to climate change, humans decide that the mid and northern BC coastline isn't so inhospitable after all and this last great wilderness is rent apart without thought or care. Perhaps a middle path is even possible. Dunno.But like II say, I'm enjoying your contributions here, and especially your journal of how your meeting the off-grid challenges your faced with. I gre volume cannabis all of those years off-grid, outdoors obviously, but with a heavy emphasis out the 'out' and a lot of 'up' added for good measure.

The photo I took on one of my whale watching trips, I think 2007ish, out of Victoria BC. Orca were the bread and butter of our excursions but I always maintained a network of Humpback whale-scientists and lay people who monitored their movements day to day so I could add a sighting to my passenger's experience of my beloved coastline. Those Humpback whales all arrive here, from their 'home' Hawaii where they gather in her warm waters for calving season, in the spring to benefit from the explosion of life that takes place here when the clouds part and glorious shine falls on a place so well watered in that should it not rain again until Christmas nothing will brown or wither. The pics pretty hilarious, it's like we rudely interrupted a gory killing and would we mind, please, carrying on, while the life and death struggle continues. Anyway, I didn't have any of my humpback whale photos ready to hand so I used that one, but the point being our two locations are linked in many, many important ways and that was just one.

For all who missed it, this just in

This is very interesting and much appreciated Hafta. I've been thinking on the subject quite a lot of late and did some reading on grapes that is front-of-mind for me when now taking up cannabis culturing again.

I pick a few hundred pounds of middling to poor quality grapes from my suburban 'vineyard' each year, (3 massively extravagant, almost wild plants that have nearly encircled the house over the 20 yrs since planted) so I watch the ripening process up close and with some interest. My recent reading on the topic is quite clear, all processes, vegetative, fruit set, ripening, are dependent on the soil, yes, the climate/atmosphere, yes, and the light... but it's not the light hitting the fruit, especially during ripening, that's critical. In fact, light's overall impact on ripening is low and goes down as the process matures, and is almost completely a process between leaf surface and light flux, not the fruit directly being hit by light. Temperature impacts the fruit ripeness directly, mostly, and I think with fruits, that's where we might get things confused as laymen.

For example an Apple. We associate redness with ripeness, but they are related by correlation only, not causation (mostly, 'ripeness' is something of a moving target as a term to some). The redness is an accumulation of pigment that is a defence against UV damage, as with humans, but unlike humans doesn't recede quickly because the apple is stuck there in place, thus there is little reason for the apple to develop such an adaptive process as reducing the pigment. I think we, lay people, have wrongly associated redness with ripeness casually in our minds and subsequently associated direct light upon the fruit as critical ripening action. Anyway, ripening, engorgement and sweetness in most fruit, it turns out, are in subtle ways influenced by light, but via the leaf, not by directly striking on the fruit, and light has a decreasing impact on ripeness over time, prominence over which is taken up by temperature very soon after fruit set.

Now, obviously, we're not growing fruit, we're growing cannabis. And light, especially UV light, appears to impact the development of trichomes. But trichomes are developed by and within the plant, the THC is developed by the plant and is not found in trichomes alone in testing, just mostly. My point really is that I believe its possible that we growers may have made some of the same assumptions we have about apples, with cannabis and focused exclusively on light directly hitting the flower as the sole ripening process to our detriment. It doesn't seem to me yet proven that the trifecta of bud 'ripeness', swelling, hardening and THC content, is solely accomplished by light flux striking the fluorescence alone.

This leaves all the other, previous processes out of the discussion, but I thought I'd wonder aloud about ripening itself as an extreme example, and question to ask. Truly, I don't know the answer.
Well written. Interesting that you would post this, perfect timing. Yesterday I pre-trimmed the skirt and some fan leaves to expose the internal bud formation. It is important to notice that the internal buds formed in near total darkness, powered by only the skirt and whatever extra energy was generated by the nug leaves. I have seen these "larf" buds be nearly non-existent with other grow methods. The plant is in a three inch net cup, for size comparison.
J22 Final - 3.JPG
J22 Final - 1.JPG
J22 Final - 2.JPG
J22 Final - 4.JPG

:Namaste:

Well *sigh* we're breaking all the rules here @Hafta, I'm afraid! It doesn't fill me with great confidence to have done so but in choosing to use a less critiqued (if nonetheless ancient) growing method, I felt it necessary to break a few immutable rules. One being mixing of fertilizer salts and organic nute sources. My peat/perlite mix holds 300ppm (H, 500) of aged poultry manure, frass and some other, balancing amendments meanwhile fertigate with a 300-800ppm MC 2 part in the reservoir.

So you see, trying to grow buds under a skirt where the sun don't shine is just one of the challenges before me! Yikes.

@Hafta.... what an amazing harvest you're pulling off! Thanks for posting the pics here, I want to see all of them. Please, if you've more you'd like to share, please do. I just realized I haven't checked the #quadsquad thread where the most interest in your harvest would be, I'd venture to guess. If you haven't shared it there I know they'd find it fascinating.

This method and some of the things you've said of late were just reminding me of the thoughts and questions I've been having over this. Flowering itself is essentially a stress response. A response to the stress of an existential threat, winter and death. It's the only process that will permit the plant to sacrifice itself and all of the green solar panel slash batteries carried onboard to guarantee successful reproduction. If we leave it as much battery power as possible it will pit that energy into developing flower mass. We just have to be extremely clever and placement of the batteries so they aren't blocking the "A" level. Watch the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.

234FF87B-08A3-4354-AD84-09234EDC4D7E.jpeg

2CB22031-A300-4727-9A52-BA78C39E6E56.jpeg
These are nested Totes @Emilya Green but I’m using the 6” lengths of vertically positioned 4” perforated pipe to structurally support the floor… which you would make from a circular disc of plastic and which also needs a strong support, you can use fabric to prevent dirt falling down the sides. You could also do the same with a totes lid, cut it to fit inside the tote as tightly as reasonable at the level you wish to make floor. (This I’m describing example is 6 inches) In the center of the plastic disc cut a 4inch hole the 7inch long piece will fit through and it will be you wicking foot. Making small holes in the plastic floor is advisable, it’s the air gap directly below floor that makes this all work, we want roots to have access to this oxygen. The drain/overflow hole in side of bucket/tote is positioned such that it guarantees the air gap is directly below floor.

ooouuukay. Getting hammered over here. Going to cut/paste what I recently wrote on Bud's SIP thread (minutes ago)

My intraveinal chlor. is devolving into rust spots and leaf holes by the minute. Wow, fast. Always impressive to watch catastrophic canna-collapse. Days ago when my fastest metabolism plant showed signs I raised calcium nitrate, then added a magnesium bump 36 hrs later. 36 hrs after that a mag, potassium foliar, I paused treatment to permit my normal microbe sched. to go through (foliar, some in rez, light damping of surface - don't do to unsettled clones or seedlings). I think it's going to spiral out on me... putting up pics on my thread over next 10 mins. I have a stirring pump and venturi in my res., that's how I was able to add nutes. pics go from young leaves in top pic to oldest leaf bottom. The Issue, intravenal Chlor anyway, startled on older leaves 1st

There is a chance the rust/damage is from my foliar microbes as they were far too acidic this time around. Not really waiting around to find out, frankly. Dragging out the B2 Stealth Bomber… Humboldt’s Secret Golden Tree and LiquiDirt in foliar. (PH’d)

As mentioned elsewhere, the DWC-like growth rate means this issue is closing on me like two F22s playing chicken. Fast.
192563D2-D354-4455-A1F1-93F4F3CFA240.jpeg
6BC29CE9-137D-4559-B894-BA70754F6C65.jpeg
EB2B6F23-BA63-4FD9-8C79-229446D59C78.jpeg

Hmm... I think consistent with Mg deficiency. Please confirm... this is one plant in a SIP, plus (automatic?) fertigation, plus foliar ferts, plus both foliar and fertigated microbes? How much of a role is your growing medium playing in providing nutes? What is your Mg source?

Maybe you've got too many things going on in the fertilizer dept. With all you have going its difficult to tell what's causing the issue including too much of something locking something out.

You're still doing a combination of organic and chemical fertilizers, right?

From the top (stay w/ me lads and lassies, we're gonna rata-tat-tat...)

Strategy: Avoid potential known nute retention in Peat-based soulless media (SS#4, 'Promix' fer 'muricans) when using auto fertigation by running light Saltnute PPMs - sub 1.0 EC

Run low EC in fertigation by loading some organics into the Matrix (Promix/SS#4) Final Slurry in matrix from Organics was 300ppm (500/Hanna) Was achieved with, per 10gal matrix, 1/2 cup wormcast (home-jobbies), between 1/8 and1/4 cup aged poultry manure, soluble dolomite product dolopril, and whetted mix with potassium-heavy Humboldt's Golden Tree and LiquiDirt Org biological boosters (no PGRs or anything too funky in those) and some alfafa-water

My salts reservoir is(was) running MC 2 part at 10-7-10 (though adjusted all plants to 10-7-12 when began addressing this issue when noticed in one plant a week ago) Additives: Magnesium Sulphate - was running at only .5g/gal before NPK change increased it to 3 at that time. Today increased to 4gr/gal Mag Sulphate.

My other physical source Magnesium is in the MC 2 part that supplies 30 elemental ppm, or, 3.3% of total elemental ferts. ie, my NPK-Mg (before adding my 4grams/gallon extra Mg) would read 10-7-10-3.3. Havent calculated the ratio if we're including the supplemented Epsom salts(magnesium Sulphate) but my available Mg should be getting too close to equal with calcium at this point, which is, I believe, elemental 100ppm or 8% of reservoir fertigation.

What atoms the MC 2 pt. magnesium arrives in on is not immed. clear to me, so it too could be Magnesium Sulphate. I assume that the organic magnesium in the dolopril is coming from a carbonite, don't know for sure, sure. Not a chemist, will try to find out, both about the MC salt fert source of Mg and the Dolopril's.

I put a fair amount of that dolomite-sourced dolopril water soluble alkalinity booster when I mixed, however I don't think 'water soluble' can be exchanged freely with 'plant-available." So I might have overestimated the contribution dolopril would make.

My plant's initial reaction as soon as being transplanted into SIPs with those organics in the top and salt mineral nutes in the bottom was to go off like a bobmb, putting on weight-wicked-fast but also became borderline nitrogen toxic, I mean too much, literally only 1-3 tips showed slightest burn, but green was so dark it was becoming concerning. Literally the day before I was going to do something about it, the darkening checked. So I left as-is with total 900ppm(500/Hanna) nutes, when taken as a slurry test of the two source well intermingled.

That near nitro-toxicity made me gun-shy over anymore nute inputs even though my plan was to increase slightly and slowly. This was August 23 that it started backing off ( leaf tone lightening began).

I apologize for state of this post. I'm sliding off the cliff with a migraine/vertigo that's been trying to push me over it all day. Really appreciate any and all more suggestions, observations, and questions, but I'm becoming radically less cogent over here...

hey RD, how's it going? well, I am still gonna respond to your seal-with-salmon post... will do soon :) awesome photo!

RE: From the top...

My first impression is – simplify. This is probably mainly coming from my perspective as an outdoor living soil / organic ferts grower. My custom soil mix is full of all the good stuff (see link in my signature). That gives me a solid, forgiving base to work with. In general, my plants do very well with this mix. It's really my own fault for not being on top of the manual fertigation later in flower – that, and pots being too small, and switch to flower too late (plants get too big).

My method is more on the lean side with nutrients, so I don't need to worry about burn. The only thing I'm seeing now is a little interveinal chlorosis on one of my CBD phenos (clones). My sense is that there's a genetic disposition with that one, that makes it susceptible to deficiency... maybe just Mg, but I'm leaning toward Fe/Zn/Mn.

I recently grew some monster super plants from Humboldt... a Gelato cross. It had the darkest green leaves of any plants I've grown, and was in the same soil as all the others. Just amazing. Those plants were rock solid and grew like crazy... too much for me to handle actually (too many plants in flower). Next time I'm just growing one clone of that one, and will top it to produce 4 main stems.

I'm still working out my flower ferts... I use solution grade potassium sulfate (0-0-50, +S) -or- solution grade Langbeinite (0-0-22, +Mg, +S). I also use a high-N liquid fert 11-2-4. I would like to find some solution grade P that's not sourced from animal byproducts. I've been using greensand for Fe... would be nice to find a more readily-absorbed source for Fe/Zn/Mn.

Well written. Interesting that you would post this, perfect timing. Yesterday I pre-trimmed the skirt and some fan leaves to expose the internal bud formation. It is important to notice that the internal buds formed in near total darkness, powered by only the skirt and whatever extra energy was generated by the nug leaves. I have seen these "larf" buds be nearly non-existent with other grow methods. The plant is in a three inch net cup, for size comparison.
J22 Final - 3.JPG
J22 Final - 1.JPG
J22 Final - 2.JPG
J22 Final - 4.JPG

That girl has more buds per square in than any plant I've seen. :bravo:
Nothing But thick dense colas.
Excellent work Amigo.
Can't wait to see her go up in smoke. ;)
Have a great weekend my friend. :ciao:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

That girl has more buds per square in than any plant I've seen. :bravo:
Nothing But thick dense colas.
Excellent work Amigo.
Can't wait to see her go up in smoke. ;)
Have a great weekend my friend. :ciao:

Stay safe
Thanks Bill. Do you stay up late or get up early? Here in the desert we get up by 4:00am while it is still under 100 deg F.

The cut and trim took us several hours, with the appropriate smoke breaks of course.

We started with this
J22 Final - 3.JPG

It is easier for me to control the environment in the grow cabinet so we multi-task.

This is the first row

J22 Harvest - 1.JPG

There were so many that there was still plant left after filling the screen

J22 Harvest - 3.JPG
J22 Harvest - 4.JPG

We put up a second drying screen. A metal cabinet and powerful magnets make it easy.

Once all was said and done, we hung 117 branches, many with more than one cola.

J22 Harvest - 6.JPG

Not bad for an 18" tall plant.

Thanks Bill. Do you stay up late or get up early? Here in the desert we get up by 4:00am while it is still under 100 deg F.

The cut and trim took us several hours, with the appropriate smoke breaks of course.

We started with this
J22 Final - 3.JPG

It is easier for me to control the environment in the grow cabinet so we multi-task.

This is the first row

J22 Harvest - 1.JPG

There were so many that there was still plant left after filling the screen

J22 Harvest - 3.JPG
J22 Harvest - 4.JPG

We put up a second drying screen. A metal cabinet and powerful magnets make it easy.

Once all was said and done, we hung 117 branches, many with more than one cola.

J22 Harvest - 6.JPG

Not bad for an 18" tall plant.

4am like clock work, every day for 30 years doing construction.
Now I can't sleep past 4am, if I make it to 4.
But don't look for me in the evening. :rofl:
I don't stay up much past 9.
Heat sounds really bad down there this year.
I like heat but there is a limit.
Do you get much relief in the winter?
Congratulations on your harvest, nicest I've seen in a long time.
Good luck in the contest, she’s a beauty. :thumb:
Take care.

Stay safe

Wow, gotta say @Hafta that is one impressive cab grow.

I'm working through a nute deficiency at the moment. Man, is it hard or is it hard to wait for your adjustments to take hold and not do something else too soon. Like, hard. I remember this feeling now from long ago raising clones in the winter for spring planting. My mantra, that I actually repeat all day in such scenarios: "It is not my last mistake that will kill my plant, its my next one." I literally whisper it over and over when the anxiety is peaking and I feel I need to take another action. I limit myself to no more than 1 change per week to address issues, or I did a long time ago and am doing it again. This SIP is powering through it I'm really impressed. Overnight the changes finally took hold the plant literally mashed the throttle in order cope with the issue by massively increasing bio mass. Powah!!!! Ultra impressive.
561E9D4D-CC4C-4E67-B104-51090D939B5D.jpeg
7D346C3C-0FB4-4DEC-A503-09154971AF57.jpeg

Thanks Res.
I took up hydro a year and a half ago. I adjusted everything about five times sooner than I should have. In other words, I learned the hard way. Too much research and too little patience.
Your ladies are gorgeous, keep your mantra ......:thumb:

4am like clock work, every day for 30 years doing construction.
Now I can't sleep past 4am, if I make it to 4.
But don't look for me in the evening. :rofl:
I don't stay up much past 9.
Heat sounds really bad down there this year.
I like heat but there is a limit.
Do you get much relief in the winter?
Congratulations on your harvest, nicest I've seen in a long time.
Good luck in the contest, she’s a beauty. :thumb:
Take care.

Stay safe
We are on the same schedule as you are. The coffee pot starts at 4:00am, if we don't push start earlier.
Winter is wonderful here until February when we get a few frosty nights (gotta cover the veggies and flowers). Everything is harvested by June. Nothing pollinates above 105 deg F.

You should be getting close to harvest. Another two to four weeks?

Back
Top Bottom