DIY SIPs Duterte's Nightmare - Mystery S. Asia Sativa - Zkittlz, Runtz, OG UV, God's Gift, GG#4, 1st Grow In 20yrs

It was Microbe Monday yesterday and to be honest we usually tie one on pretty good. All the plants have goop dried on them showing in pics. Only the plant laying on its side, the Runtz near front of tent, has any leaf colouration that concerns me. She might be presenting a small K def. that I’m treating via foliar with Humboldt GoldenTree, LiquiDirt (you gotta check it out, I am huge fan) and a fermented flowers extraction KNF-style. Also raised pot. silicate. In rez. I run a salts rez, MC 2 part, with light castings and aged poultry manure amendments in SS#4 mix.
EC39208D-BA83-4034-A95A-6FA049C207D2.jpeg

These are UVOG. Everyone has grown literally 9/10 an inch since microbes (I pour 400ml from top, and foliar spray100 ml w/lights off.) and now training hooks all hidden. I’ll get in closer for you….

My thinking has been that I needed to keep these things pancaked until transition because of limited space my grow-type creates and addition of the dollies when finished. The bench behind, everything but the black totes/planters will be gone and I’ll be able to move Dollie’s around to help me care for plant. I have some disabilities that can cause bad falls - even though I’m in my 40s think of me having the balance of a 250 yr old. Another reason I made these SIPs to this design. 6 gal fertigation onboard is helpful if you find yourself stuck in emerg. Or worse. Next time maybe rez fed gravity levelled SIPS.

needed to keep these things pancaked until transition

Not quite pancaked, but maybe a1.5" - 2" rise from the stalk to the pot edge, then, once past the edge of the pot, (and,depending how wide you want it to get) let them grow upward at a steeper angle- also, try and get the canopy as flat as you can before the flip.
I don't do much training after the flip- I usually just hope for the best- but I'll supercrop any branches that are trying to get a lot taller than the others- I figure that a 1.5" height difference at the canopy is acceptable, anything more, and I'll do what I can to correct it...

Edit: just some thoughts for now- I'll check it out further tomorrow...but now... it's time to smoke a bowl, and get a little shut-eye 😌

Talk to you tomorrow,RD- have a great night!

Regardless the textile the roots will find a way through. However this really is not a significant concern even if the roots do not enter the foot.

Why?

I believe we need to dissociate ourselves from the idea of this system as a DWC/Soil hybrid in practice. It can be described to be similar physically, but I think its been teaching people to believe that developing so-called water roots is the key to accelerated growth in SIPs.
I know a little about SIP now, thanks to Buds, you, and Azi – but I know nothing of DWC (just looked it up... deep water culture... aerated nutrient bath).

Something is making me feel a tad uncomfortable with the thought of roots trying to penetrate weed cloth. I use black weed cloth for my DIY smart pots, and I know some very fine roots will find their way out the bottom – I see it all the time. But if I'm wanting them to find water/nutes, then... I'm thinking something more along the lines of a matrix of pencil-size holes punched in the weed cloth, and then a generous layer of coco/perlite above that. Now we have a root-permeable layer, and at the same time, a good degree of prevention of grow mix falling into the reservoir. I think I would keep the wicking foot as well, full of coco/perlite... maybe a small cylindrical one in the center (5 gal bucket design).

So I'm thinking 5 gal bucket-in-a-bucket design, a bit like your tote-in-a-tote design. 🪣🪣 Possibly an air stone in the reservoir, and I like how you've got it on a pulse timer. (Maybe I would start without the air stone... see how that goes.) Well shoots... this would mean I would need elec. power in my flower house, which I currently don't have. OR... I could refurb my big greenhouse which does have power... I like that idea... long overdue. But I would then also need to make a big living screen between the big greenhouse and the veg house w/ it's night interruption lighting... fortunately I can grow a living screen very quickly with Mexican sunflower.🌻

Sounds absolutely awesome. I hope you’ll stay in touch regardless your decision. The wick foot appears to be where you can design for more or less moist matrix on average. We need experience with the variables to be able to plot a useful trajectory for SIP building. Just remember, distance is more easily overcome by like sized and type materials. You can slow, or even stop the hydronic rise with stark layering of different materials. Also, don’t forget to MTG, mind the gap! My plants look much happier the wider that airspace is. Too close they look overwatered and gravity drags their extra mass downward. Be well, friend.

@ReservoirDog, @ azimuth
At the moment everyone is recovered from yesterday’s training. I reset many carhooks
26F966D0-2455-4BB8-998B-EC477901624F.jpeg
each day to keep growing outward. I am trying to leave a skirt of mature fan leaves all around plant perimeter as @Hafta has illustrated in the quad squad thread.
86185229-4893-4686-9883-C2DB598C567A.jpeg

The plant above is unique. It’s vigour exceeded others, freakishly, from day 1 so I put a 90 degree clip in it below 1st node to lay it on its side, and give me a chance at a canopy level with others. The results are something I mean to repeat on all plants going forward as a means of directing each plant away from the center and possible conflict/loss of efficiency and toward the ends and sides of tent/light footprint.

I remove leaves pointed inward that block light from targets but have a policy of keeping as many batteries attached as is reasonable.
@Azimuth ,
Res and Azi. An update on the skirting. This could be a very useful technique for the " space challenged" or anyone else.

The plant is a couple of weeks from harvest and is currently consuming the fan leaves on the tops and the skirt. The important aspect is that the "larf", the branches and tops being removed by many growers, is no longer worthless. Check out the photos below.

Skirted Larf - 1.JPG

You can see the base of the plant with the top irrigation drip above.

Skirted Larf - 3.JPG

This bud is actually growing sideways from a secondary branch on the first node.
Of course there is still the canopy.

J22D57F36-5.JPG

Thank you RD for the master class on DIY subirrigated planters and training techniques and just being so elocuent and honest telling your day to day growing activites, research and lifestories.

I excuse myself for not having any input on SIP just because its out of my league I havent done anything like that, I guess I'm just an old school soil grower, but I wont lie yesterday I googled the SIP from canadian tires, to get the idea of your idea.

I like reading interesting things, keepem coming.

:passitleft:

One question... do you open up the burlap weed cloth so roots can go right into the wicking foot medium?
Have faith cbd. No textile will hamper root access. Even woven poly. Burlap and natural fibres will, however, literally disappear within 2 months. I was concerned that a synthetic fibre would be too hydrophobic and slow wicking, and I was right! But it turns out slowing down wicking is your main focus, not increasing it. I no longer have issues with long-lasting synthetics, even known hydrophobes. There are hydrophilic synth fibres out there, I just cant off the top of my head list them for you. Keep us posted mate and thanks for your contributions. Questions are great, I hope you have some answers to share with us, soon. Best regards, mate.
This bud is actually growing sideways from a secondary branch on the first node.
Of course there is still the canopy.
I guess the question is always, "Did growing those lower nugs prevent a nice large cola from stacking up top?" Thankfully, there is no, "best way" It's like art, we get to experiment and find our groove. I'm giving it a go @Hafta, and really appreciate your support. I may tag you for questions from time to time, but I hope you feel welcome and choose to drop by whenever you like on your own accord. Grateful for the guidance, regardless. One reason I'm doing this is that I have long thought there are few things more attractive than a well-tailored skirt. :cool: Agreed?
I like reading interesting things, keepem coming.
It astonishes me, and I mean that honestly, anyone should enjoy my thoughts put on a page. Do you know, @Darade complimented my punctuation a while back? I haven't been able to properly thank him because I can't think of something appropriate. Someone complements my punctuation - seems to me I should be naming my next child after him, however, those days (please God) are blessedly behind me (I love you girls, don't get the wrong idea, either of you, Pop's just getting older a little faster than 'normal', as you well know. I love you both endlessly). So there's that. I'm putting things down as I think them, a stream-of-consciousness style.... but, combined with a technical subject - this is not most editors' idea of a winning proposition. I could do normal, but I don't have to, so I don't.

Frankly, I'm very glad to hear it's contributed to you and I talking, this is its purpose. Engagement.

Ah, an update pic for you of our offspring (!)...
36F6710B-3671-4D4C-AF1F-F8D764D26712.jpeg

Have faith cbd. No textile will hamper root access. Even woven poly. Burlap and natural fibres will, however, literally disappear within 2 months. I was concerned that a synthetic fibre would be too hydrophobic and slow wicking, and I was right! But it turns out slowing down wicking is your main focus, not increasing it. I no longer have issues with long-lasting synthetics, even known hydrophobes. There are hydrophilic synth fibres out there, I just cant off the top of my head list them for you. Keep us posted mate and thanks for your contributions. Questions are great, I hope you have some answers to share with us, soon. Best regards, mate.

I guess the question is always, "Did growing those lower nugs prevent a nice large cola from stacking up top?" Thankfully, there is no, "best way" It's like art, we get to experiment and find our groove. I'm giving it a go @Hafta, and really appreciate your support. I may tag you for questions from time to time, but I hope you feel welcome and choose to drop by whenever you like on your own accord. Grateful for the guidance, regardless. One reason I'm doing this is that I have long thought there are few things more attractive than a well-tailored skirt. :cool: Agreed?

It astonishes me, and I mean that honestly, anyone should enjoy my thoughts put on a page. Do you know, @Darade complimented my punctuation a while back? I haven't been able to properly thank him because I can't think of something appropriate. Someone complements my punctuation - seems to me I should be naming my next child after him, however, those days (please God) are blessedly behind me (I love you girls, don't get the wrong idea, either of you, Pop's just getting older a little faster than 'normal', as you well know. I love you both endlessly). So there's that. I'm putting things down as I think them, a stream-of-consciousness style.... but, combined with a technical subject - this is not most editors' idea of a winning proposition. I could do normal, but I don't have to, so I don't.

Frankly, I'm very glad to hear it's contributed to you and I talking, this is its purpose. Engagement.

Of course we enjoy your " rambling " brilliant stuff my friend.
I've had so many bumps on the head I can't splell punnk2ation let alone use it. ;)
Drives Stacey crazy the way I text.
It's just one of your many skills on display that we enjoy. :love:
But if we all keep telling you how great you are eventually it might go to your head.
I jest Amigo, humility is another of your great qualities.
That and your ability to get your feet in your pics.:rofl:
Take care. :ciao:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

@Bill284 You always notice the important stuff. That is to say, the stuff I notice and therefor think is important. Ha! You might like this one…
7B319425-3484-4177-A8BD-44015A563CEF.jpeg
Beautiful garden, you can tell so much from that one pic alone. ;)
Love the chapeau. :love:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Punctuation is important. It can make or break a story and/or punchline. If you are telling a story (which we are most of the times from narrative point of view) punctuation makes the reader feel the energy behind the words.

The information you’re putting out is valuable, the content is fresh and up to date, why wouldn’t I wanna read ?

Most of the things I post are probably too hard to follow, and seems to only attract a specific type of enthusiast reader. That’s why I like posting infinite pictures so I have to use less words to make a point. I also like sharing Links with useful information (that helps me justify why I do some of the crazy things I do).
But in all honesty sometimes being challenged is such a rewarding experience, like when someone challenges a method or technique with backed up data, that’s when things get good, at least for me, and creates the best learning experience for the parties involved.

Ohh look at those little ones, I recognize the lanky two with long pointy leaf on the that’s the Jamaican variety aren’t they ? And the one by itself DN?

:Rasta:

@danishoes21 Yup, you got it. The second DN is on the 50/50 line with momentum all in the wrong direction. She's melted into the background there, hasn't opened properly, is projecting a first leaf set but... I'm giving her the privacy I think we would all appreciate during a struggle such as hers. She wants for nothing, but the thin thread of life is pulled tight nonetheless. Time.

Oh, anybody, everybody... what are we to make of a distinctly lighter green border about 1/16 inch and running parallel with the leaf's edge?

How about no obvious pattern but very blotchy... all green, but light and dark blotches. In early seedling phase. Is this sign of turning to outside nutrition, adjusting to pH, I ask, due to the possibility someone might actually know, know. Also keen to hear whatever nonsense is on offer lately. Have at it, my friends.

Oh, anybody, everybody... what are we to make of a distinctly lighter green border about 1/16 inch and running parallel with the leaf's edge?

How about no obvious pattern but very blotchy... all green, but light and dark blotches. In early seedling phase. Is this sign of turning to outside nutrition, adjusting to pH, I ask, due to the possibility someone might actually know, know. Also keen to hear whatever nonsense is on offer lately. Have at it, my friends.
I've been dealing with some leaf coloration issues with one of my CBD phenos. At this point I'm leaning toward a nutrient issue, perhaps Fe. What I'm seeing is interveinal chlorosis – a lightening of color between the leaf veins. I posted a photo and info HERE.

I would like to see a photo of your leaves.

Not being facetious, I'm properly interested in crackpot-ism and not trying to insult anyone (it's a genetically acquired ability, my insults are shaped involuntarily, like breathing). Frankly, you guys need to realize that the more counter-mainstream your POV, the tougher the skin needed to not go postal. I'd be happy to help you work that up, just let me know.:eek: PS this is nothing apres pout any contributors in this thread. Just venting over something, someone, else.

I've been dealing with some leaf coloration issues with one of my CBD phenos. At this point I'm leaning toward a nutrient issue, perhaps Fe. What I'm seeing is interveinal chlorosis – a lightening of color between the leaf veins. I posted a photo and info HERE.

I would like to see a photo of your leaves.
What's your nutrition setup (NPK if relevant)?

What have you done to address it thus far?

How long since you 1st noticed?I'm not experienced enough to diagnose. If it were I, I would be looking at potassium myself, first, I think, then looking up which element(s) antagonizes potassium, and relating that to your inputs around the time of this issue's origination. I know, that's very basic, but it's all I have - and I'm also thinking of any future readers here.

You first :)... photo?

But if I'm wanting them to find water/nutes, then... I'm thinking something more along the lines of a matrix of pencil-size holes punched in the weed cloth,
I think there is an advantage to the water roots and that seems to be dependent on the connector material. In Buds' grow and the pictures from the commercial product he uses the roots seem to stop at about the water line.

I get water roots to fill the connector cup by using something other than soil.

Maybe I would start without the air stone... see how that goes.)
Totally don't need the airstone. And, unless you're going to do an automatic feed like RD, there's not going to be much water in the reservoir to worry about after a few weeks since the plants will drain it every day unless you have a really oversized rez. And, even at the beginning you can meter out the water to just what they'll drink in a day or two.

RD wants to go several days between waterings on a manual system, but that's different from how I run mine.

I think there is an advantage to the water roots and that seems to be dependent on the connector material. In Buds' grow and the pictures from the commercial product he uses the roots seem to stop at about the water line.

I get water roots to fill the connector cup by using something other than soil.
Are you using a fabric barrier?

Are you using a fabric barrier?
No. I've got two different designs I'm using, both in 2 gal buckets. One is a false floor, with the floor made from a bucket lid with lots of holes made with my soldering iron. The other looks more like the commercial version Buds is using with the inverted dome. Buds builds his with soil around the dome all the way to the bottom. I use hydroton up to (and a bit higher than) the drainage hole. I imagine perlite, or maybe even coco might have a similar effect.

I'm going to build a couple of that type this weekend to compare to the first version all the way through flower. Compare things like growth, harvest, roots, etc. The false floor version takes a lot longer to get the water connection established. Like weeks longer, at least for me.

Back
Top Bottom