DIY SIPs Duterte's Nightmare - Mystery S. Asia Sativa - Zkittlz, Runtz, OG UV, God's Gift, GG#4, 1st Grow In 20yrs

Plants have been in SIPS now for 4 weeks. I've plucked about 5 leaves a day and had 1.5 major defols in that time. I've also been training pretty oppressively with carhooks on every branch as it tries to go vertical, I just pin it down farther along the stem. I'm fighting a height issue after the minor penalty of SIP heights and now my decision to leave dollies under plants. Independent SCROGs I'm hoping will keep me in check as stretch begins.

So that said I feel I need to flip now. I'm still a day away from being able to (haven't thoroughly light leak checked this setup)

Crap, my wifi isn't working. I can type on my desktop but to upload pics from my phone, that's not currently connected to cell network, I need wifi.

No sweat @Bill284 , glad you like the room. However, I can't imagine what made it sound so interesting when I was talking about it. It's a funny little half-room like in that movie Being John Malcovich where they discover half a floor in a skyscraper and it's really a trans-dimensional portal.
4fe0d3e5b8abb6c555ca13f49e5887c56b1c8ede.jpeg

Growing up there wasn't even in my original plans, even though I heavily considered it. The height issue finally scared me off, back when I envisioned a two-tent system, one for vegging with cheap led shop lights, and one for flowering with an investment-level, massive PPD stats grow light - using seeds with some possible clones only if I found plants that I really, really wanted to keep growing.

However, when my light arrived direct from the manufacturer with superficial shipping damage, they chose to give me a second light for free rather than have me send back the old one for exchange. No argument here, obviously. Anyway, I wasn't gonna waste, by using for a veg tent, a 2950ppd, 10-bar fixture with a 5x5 flowering footprint, Samsung l301h white diodes, a sprinkling of respectable FR diodes, and UV diodes each run by a total of 3 separate, indiv controllable Meanwell drivers, mounted in an ultra-high-performance heatsink.
What would you do? Not waste it vegging plants? Congrats, excellent decision! So *boom* my flowering capacity blew up, yet at the same time also swallowed my vegging budget because now I had to house both lights, and cool, ventilate

So, I figured we'd try for some large specimen cloning as you had done, to at least impact vegging times modestly and reduce the costs of running "non-flowering" plants.

That decision was made, however, (stick with me!) while I was still primed to run DWC for at least one cycle before turning to SIPs (DWC was sexy, ok, that's all I got for you). That matters because the cloner I built is a low pressure aero/spray hydro type that will trigger the growth of H2O-suited / specialized roots on a plant, the kind that would transfer to the DWC rez seamlessly.
099cde5bccabe9c043d880dc3a4adc89572b8bf1.gif

Now, however, still trying to complete my first cycle, I'm growing in peat SIPs due to 'life' and rez temps. So, there's just not as much, er.... synergy between my different growth phases as there should be, and I'm not happy about that.
I have no idea how this SIP system will take clones. Well, ok, not true - I've read a great many descriptions of successful clone transplants which I believe to be true and perhaps even the norm, but I've not even begun this process personally. I know seeds aren't that expensive given the results, but I got so burned ordering seeds my first time this spring, and then had so many issues with the seeds I did get ahold of, that I'm afraid of my own shadow when it comes to seeds now. I can honestly say I'd prefer to grow them if possible without hassle or exorbitant cost, but my confidence just isn't there over buying seeds.
706cbca6895e98b5f0cdedc87740962b26fab463.jpeg

So, I'mt gonna put a kiddy pool in my attic now, yep with water, and yet not sure, sure, it's the best idea, but don't have any others. "Nothing to see here folks, just few hundred litres in my attic." No idea either how I'm going to safely hang a 100w fixture weighing over 5 lbs over a pool of water, let alone balance 3 gal soft pots full of peat and plants onto 4-inch wide SIP wicking feet made from perf drainage pipe. Oh and prevent massive RH spikes and keep evap in the pool.
bf4eb5eadb99bd2425e88272ad5ed99339e3ae5e.gif
Jeezuz I woke Stacey I was laughing so hard. Excellent decision, I'm still giggling.
Low pressure aero spray, fine mist? Aerated?
Ran 6 mothers obviously never needed beans but I have delt with our Sponsors with great success, I think I'm obligated to say that, in my contract. :rofl: I'll check the fine print
The kiddy pool you think about how much stuff your going to have to haul up and down that ladder to maintain it?
Low maintenance moms but until you get a dumb waiter who's hauling it all.
I can send you my helmet because I know you haven't put a foam guard over the beam.
Do you know how I know?
Because you would have told me Zing Zing.
Seriously a lot of work in a bad location.
Any other less intense Method possible up there?
Got the floor down for the new grow room R22 hope that's good. :oops:
Any colder and I'm moving.
Talk soon, Congrats :rofl:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

I have no idea how this SIP system will take clones. Well, ok, not true - I've read a great many descriptions of successful clone transplants which I believe to be true and perhaps even the norm, but I've not even begun this process personally.
Rooted clones work fine. Mine seem to take 2-3 weeks to adjust to the constantly wetter environment and then they take off. I haven't, however, had much luck rooting cuttings in them. Got a lot of mushy, rotted cuts and now think that the media in a SIP is just too wet for that. Weird because perlite wick cloners work pretty well.

I'm trying a seed planted directly into the final container now to see how that process plays out. For that one I treated the container like any other, keeping the soil just watered in around the seed. Once it popped above ground I've watered it just around the seedling for the first few days and only then did I start adding water to the reservoir.

Hey dog!
So, I'mt gonna put a kiddy pool in my attic now, yep with water, and yet not sure, sure, it's the best idea, but don't have any others. "Nothing to see here folks, just few hundred litres in my attic."
Have you thought about putting down an extra sheet of plywood or OSB to distribute the load more evenly? (Might save some cracked roof joists.) Just a thought. If no good, please just delete.
(I guess they want a million dollars for plywood nowadays.... too bad they don't trade for bud!!)
No idea either how I'm going to safely hang a 100w fixture weighing over 5 lbs over a pool of water, let alone balance 3 gal soft pots full of peat and plants onto 4-inch wide SIP wicking feet made from perf drainage pipe. Oh and prevent massive RH spikes and keep evap in the pool.
Umm, metal plumbing pipe to make a metal frame that goes up and over the pool (like a giant four-legged spider?)
And yeah, please put a handle and some foam for your head, amigo!

unknwn-seal.jpg

HI @cbdhemp808 . I was over on your current grow journal last night and found it very engaging. I try to read from the beginning wherever possible (no thanks to the perpetual grow/journals among us! (lol) ) so I'm still catching up to where you're at presently, and enableled to comment in context over there, I but look forward to it. Just a habit of mine.
Aloha @ReservoirDog ! I'm finally getting to respond here. First, I love the photo... thank you.

I decided to close that perpetual journal. For anyone reading this familiar w/ my grow, the Ringo's Gift turned out to be a total dud – bad seed. The lab report just came back and it has zero CBD and low-ish THC. So, I'm back to the drawing board and ordering better 20:1 seed from better companies.

I'm in the middle of a compost tea test, covered in THIS THREAD. So far, so good.

I lived 'off grid' for some years (5-6 straight, and some summers here and there afterward) and it's one of the great experiences of my life. Learning to become self-sufficient.
We've been off-grid on our property in Hawaii for almost 10 years now. We are definitely not self sufficient yet in terms of food, but that's the goal. The property has great potential for that. We are self sufficient for electric power (solar) and water (rainwater catchment).

That self-sufficiency, I discovered, is not something that leaves me when I rejoin civilization, and, provided one can abide the constant dissonance that surrounds you (by comparison to nature's awesome display of a multidimensional web operating with interconnectivity at levels of depth and height we're required to enter altered states of consciousness in order to begin to appreciate), then the experience will benefit you tremendously whatever culture or civilization you find yourself in. This has been my experience, at least, and I was wondering if you have any insight on this.
We live in a remote rural area, but town is only 10 miles away. It's a very small town that has just about everything. In order to find "everything," we need to drive another 20 miles.

We used to live in Southern Calif. and where we are now is lightyears better – low population, low traffic, super nice climate, plenty of sunshine and rain. Also the cost of living is way lower.

So... we have managed to minimize Babylon and maximize nature. Our farm is surrounded by nature, and we try to let nature dominate.

That dissonance I mentioned is real and profound and for me was deeply felt simply making a monthly or seasonal 'town run' to fill stores and acquire tools, mechanical parts, whatever, even in relatively small villages and towns. I thought it remarkable that a month or three without contact with strangers, of not seeing any human-built infrastructure but my modest own examples, had such a strong impact on me and it coloured my thoughts about re-engaging and the possibilities for returning to it to live again. I was concerned I'd been spoiled, ruined by it, incapable of happiness among strangers and predominant humanness as far as the eye could see. So glad it wasn't nearly as bad as all that! Returning was not without its extremely challenging difficulties but ironically, I'm not sure I could manage to live in civilization now without first having lived outside it.

My time was in a rather more temperate locale than yours but, like yours, also one of the richest biodiversity collections on earth, that is, the mid and northern British Columbia coastline. It's the last great North American wilderness, where all of the continents great predator land mammals, grizzly bear, wolf, mountain lions and many more, have been backed into by human expansion and active denial of their most basic needs. They can retreat no further with the sea at their backs. We'll see in future generations whether, perhaps due to climate change, humans decide that the mid and northern BC coastline isn't so inhospitable after all and this last great wilderness is rent apart without thought or care. Perhaps a middle path is even possible. Dunno.But like II say, I'm enjoying your contributions here, and especially your journal of how your meeting the off-grid challenges your faced with. I gre volume cannabis all of those years off-grid, outdoors obviously, but with a heavy emphasis out the 'out' and a lot of 'up' added for good measure.
My older brother who passed away last year lived on Vancouver Island when he was a young man, with his beautiful wife, baby, and super-intelligent German Shepherd dog. They lived outside Qualicum Beach in the boonies, where they built a cabin and grew big, tall cannabis plants. Before they landed in Qualicum Beach, they had squated on Texada Island for a while, hunting and fishing in a truly wilderness environment. He was running from the draft. I visited them there when I was 12 years old. I remember going out in a small boat off Qualicum Beach to jig for cod – wow, that was a lot of fish! When Pres. Carter gave the draft evaders amnesty, they moved to Port Angeles where they lived for many years and raised their son.

I lived in the Northwest much of my life, in Oregon.

The photo I took on one of my whale watching trips, I think 2007ish, out of Victoria BC. Orca were the bread and butter of our excursions but I always maintained a network of Humpback whale-scientists and lay people who monitored their movements day to day so I could add a sighting to my passenger's experience of my beloved coastline. Those Humpback whales all arrive here, from their 'home' Hawaii where they gather in her warm waters for calving season, in the spring to benefit from the explosion of life that takes place here when the clouds part and glorious shine falls on a place so well watered in that should it not rain again until Christmas nothing will brown or wither. The pics pretty hilarious, it's like we rudely interrupted a gory killing and would we mind, please, carrying on, while the life and death struggle continues. Anyway, I didn't have any of my humpback whale photos ready to hand so I used that one, but the point being our two locations are linked in many, many important ways and that was just one.
We see the Humpbacks here in Hawaii, but their numbers have dwindled greatly. I hope it's only temporary.

Wishing you well my friend.🌞

Okay. Quick refresher. We've got two, 27gal tote-style SIPs, each with two, 10-gal soft pots and 6 gal reservoirs beneath. Reservoir content is fertigation, MC 2pt, and soil matrix is 60/40 peat/perlite ala Sunshine#4 mix.

05A7C5B4-33CB-48FB-BB15-37430D6B3DE9.jpeg

That's two plants per SIP, running synth nutes in the rez. I've read many well-documented grow journals of people doing 'soiless-hydro' -type grows in SIPs, however without a whole lot of institutional knowledge readily avail. about using salt-nutes in this system I advanced very carefully. My major concern was salts build up/CEC issues because this is a passive system and I didn't know if drybacks were a concern. I grew 11 of these in 2021 and 4 in 2022 outside growing veg, but my fertigation was no-stress because: vegetables. Also, they produced fantastically.
03F6F3CD-3394-494A-BBCD-10E115D34750.jpeg

I have two tub-style SIP designs, one with these large net pots filled with vermic /perlite sitting in 27 gal then with 17gal planter nested on top. A synthetic fibre cloth lays atop those holes to prevent planter contents spilling into reservoir. Sometimes I put a thin 1 inch layer of peat/vermiculite on the cloth and then the soft pots, or skip that and place soft pot atop cloth. Note that a drainage pipe maintains an air gap. Pump in reservoir is experimental, it stirs the res on a timer and with venturi tube helps aeration.
1D268109-EDDB-4585-8F70-55CF2A89D031.jpeg

A slight variation of concept is below. I use 4 inch perforated drain pipe vertically, stuffed with peat/perlite to bring moisture to the pots. (some of the pipe sections you see in pic are shorter and there to five floor support. Two of them are longer and come up through a hole into planter. Either of these designs can be used without soft pots by just filling up the inner tote. I grow veg this way and running 10 of them grew more veg than a family can eat.
12A31258-CC04-4F08-96C8-98A727AA7A3B.jpeg

A06CED77-B363-4914-B8A4-3E909E8FD107.jpeg

Alright, plants. SIP on the left has two Ultra Violet OG. It's og kush x purple indica and I tried it. Heavy indica knock out. Very narcotic. Anyway, in the right-hand SIP are two Runtz. Also very powerful, strong Sativa. One of the best tokes I've ever had. Skittlz x Face-off, I think. My face came off pretty easy.
A8DA61ED-5730-4554-B65A-BEC1ACC5DA77.jpeg

279782E6-971D-47CE-BAE3-AA8298155D57.jpeg

My 20gal mixer is great. Has a 1/3 hp sump pump to mix and a 1000gph pond pump for aeration. I let it mix all night before adding. MC2pt, epsom, kelp, fulvic. I mix to 1600ppm but apply at around 800ppm to SIPs. Tap water here is 0-10ppm so I use it.
BE3CF56B-BF88-4BEC-9AC5-93305F17129E.jpeg

I mix a weekly mini-tea on this guy, a lab stirrer/mixer with some heat added.
EF5E0FC7-53F6-4330-AFBD-E6913CE3B1D7.jpeg

27648532-A7DA-4841-B476-5AE8D6F01361.jpeg

A few weeks after photoperiod change things here are looking alright. Bottom right is acting burned but soon all of the buds will start showing nute burn on buds only.
0468CE0C-A359-4FE3-A549-2233907A4CB9.jpeg

Problem was that at only three weeks every new pistil that grew turned red the same day. My research tells me that this is usually one of the following: root rot, russet mites, light/windburn, over feed/toxicity. It wasn’t the light, pistils shriveled up with light under 400 PAR at canopy. Mites are difficult to find but I have looked hard with mag. and there is no damage other than buds premature ‘ripening’. Can’t rule it out 100%. However, right at turn I had health emerg and was out of it. Happened again two weeks later, I just couldn’t maintain homeostasis and needed IV, all due to colon issues. Anyway, my notes from the period weren’t awesome but I have discovered that I doubled feed EC after flip when I meant to reduce temporarily. I’d been filling rez with 750ppm until flip, then did 1500. I only fert once every week to ten days due to large rez.
E4097DA8-662E-4EB2-AB2B-95A8E43F077D.jpeg

At every feed I use a little pump to test and track the remaining fertigation’s ppm and pH. Admittedly that won’t tell me if the medium (promix) is retaining too many minerals so I was also doing slurry tests taken from top, but where buildup isn’t likely to be found. So finally I emptied the rez and flushed with a gallon then tested ppm. It should be close to the pPM level I’m adding but it was over 2000, so I’m going with fert salts retention as my cause. I flushed each sip with 60 gallons of osmotic neutral water until runoff measured 500ppm. Then I let them be for a few days with a 1/4 rez of balanced, 500ppm fresh mix to see if they’d bounce back.
ACEC3024-20E0-411A-920A-E05E3AF55750.jpeg

So sad because the OGUV plants are the best trim/canopy I’ve ever done. Every branch is a developing cola and there’s over 100 of them but this issue totally knackered the plants.
B348559C-B6B3-4B27-ABDD-B58C7B82DE19.jpeg

From the start I had been considering doing a preventative flush before 12/12 if only to test runoff and put my mind at ease but instead I just kept nutes low and tested ferts alone. A lot of people successfully grow in SIPs with synth nutes using peat/perlite like this so I hope no one will be scared off by my issues.

Nonetheless it does seem as though this is something to be wary of. I’ll keep trying to confirm and share, and hopefully sort it out. Farside is using Osmicote (sp) and that may be better than running nutes in the tank, but I’m going to try again and have plants ready to flower already that will replace these.
92A83689-1670-4767-82C7-21ED60371F00.jpeg

Alright, plants. SIP on the left has two Ultra Violet OG. It's og kush x purple indica and I tried it. Heavy indica knock out. Very narcotic. Anyway, in the right-hand SIP are two Runtz. Also very powerful, strong Sativa. One of the best tokes I've ever had. Skittlz x Face-off, I think. My face came off pretty easy.
A8DA61ED-5730-4554-B65A-BEC1ACC5DA77.jpeg

279782E6-971D-47CE-BAE3-AA8298155D57.jpeg

My 20gal mixer is great. Has a 1/3 hp sump pump to mix and a 1000gph pond pump for aeration. I let it mix all night before adding. MC2pt, epsom, kelp, fulvic. I mix to 1600ppm but apply at around 800ppm to SIPs. Tap water here is 0-10ppm so I use it.
BE3CF56B-BF88-4BEC-9AC5-93305F17129E.jpeg

I mix a weekly mini-tea on this guy, a lab stirrer/mixer with some heat added.
EF5E0FC7-53F6-4330-AFBD-E6913CE3B1D7.jpeg

27648532-A7DA-4841-B476-5AE8D6F01361.jpeg

A few weeks after photoperiod change things here are looking alright. Bottom right is acting burned but soon all of the buds will start showing nute burn on buds only.
0468CE0C-A359-4FE3-A549-2233907A4CB9.jpeg

Problem was that at only three weeks every new pistil that grew turned red the same day. My research tells me that this is usually one of the following: root rot, russet mites, light/windburn, over feed/toxicity. It wasn’t the light, pistils shriveled up with light under 400 PAR at canopy. Mites are difficult to find but I have looked hard with mag. and there is no damage other than buds premature ‘ripening’. Can’t rule it out 100%. However, right at turn I had health emerg and was out of it. Happened again two weeks later, I just couldn’t maintain homeostasis and needed IV, all due to colon issues. Anyway, my notes from the period weren’t awesome but I have discovered that I doubled feed EC after flip when I meant to reduce temporarily. I’d been filling rez with 750ppm until flip, then did 1500. I only fert once every week to ten days due to large rez.
E4097DA8-662E-4EB2-AB2B-95A8E43F077D.jpeg

At every feed I use a little pump to test and track the remaining fertigation’s ppm and pH. Admittedly that won’t tell me if the medium (promix) is retaining too many minerals so I was also doing slurry tests taken from top, but where buildup isn’t likely to be found. So finally I emptied the rez and flushed with a gallon then tested ppm. It should be close to the pPM level I’m adding but it was over 2000, so I’m going with fert salts retention as my cause. I flushed each sip with 60 gallons of osmotic neutral water until runoff measured 500ppm. Then I let them be for a few days with a 1/4 rez of balanced, 500ppm fresh mix to see if they’d bounce back.
ACEC3024-20E0-411A-920A-E05E3AF55750.jpeg

So sad because the OGUV plants are the best trim/canopy I’ve ever done. Every branch is a developing cola and there’s over 100 of them but this issue totally knackered the plants.
B348559C-B6B3-4B27-ABDD-B58C7B82DE19.jpeg

From the start I had been considering doing a preventative flush before 12/12 if only to test runoff and put my mind at ease but instead I just kept nutes low and tested ferts alone. A lot of people successfully grow in SIPs with synth nutes using peat/perlite like this so I hope no one will be scared off by my issues.

Nonetheless it does seem as though this is something to be wary of. I’ll keep trying to confirm and share, and hopefully sort it out. Farside is using Osmicote (sp) and that may be better than running nutes in the tank, but I’m going to try again and have plants ready to flower already that will replace these.
92A83689-1670-4767-82C7-21ED60371F00.jpeg
Good morning RD, great update.
Hope your doing well today Amigo. :passitleft:
Take care.

Stay safe

OK, just so everyone knows, I'm totally cool with comments, even, or esp., ones tangential to canna growing. I'd be happiest if reader entries outnumbered my entries, so have at it.
Hey RD, I have questions 😃 First off, thank you for an entertaining and informative journal.
You guys are mostly growing more plants in bigger setups than I can manage. You are also a lot more sophisticated in your equipment and control of environment than I can be.
My recent grow proved I could get a fair yield during winter by growing both autos and photos on my dining room table with no real environmental control other than a light and bin bags to tent the plants during their dark hours. I wasn't trying to prove that it is a great method of growing by any stretch of imagination, just needing to harvest as much meds as I can in a given set of conditions. Temps were low (above zero and ranging up to mid teens C), lots of CO2 due to closed windows, and likely high humidity also due to closed windows and it being rainy season. I had a fan on them.
I am able to fit 2 20 L (5 Gal) pots under the light so that's my limit. I have decided on autos so that I don't have to worry about the dark period and the darn bin bags!
I am curious about trying my next auto grow on SIPs. I have discussed a bit over in the SIP Club but I'm not keeping up there (the pace is quick). You're a cloth pot dude, so I am hoping you can tell me if my design will work. It was Azi's suggestion to use a dish washing bowl and pasta colander. I think the fit will be good for the 20 L cloth pot which has about a 35cm diameter.
I am using what I refer to as craft or living organic soil, but I am not sure if it is that or if it is a super soil. No mind, all it really needs is water and maybe a calmag correction, and a top dress for later. So for me it is soil in a cloth pot as below. I am trying to keep the design as simple as poss. (lack of tools and diy skills) and water safe (unsplashy) for the furniture lol.

Can this work or does it require modification? tia

SIP design 3.jpg

I put a plastic divider down the center of one SIP, because I was planning to grow two plants in each. Still do.... however, I found some non-SIP related issues in this original tent when I put my second 5x5 up and was seeing radically different results. I realized that my lung room was not keeping my first tent, (heretofore called "The Burn Unit") supplied with 'air' when my extraction was high - my AC Infinity 6" with controller 67 auto-managed heat with wicked-efficient extraction. All my tent/lungroom numbers were right, but because of the room's shape, having been sealed for cO2, it just wasn't working properly even with the tent 'door' open to an adjoining space. Anyway, long story.
CD3FB104-9E47-45CF-833B-1A71F04D2E75.jpeg

So when I finished the second tent, one that extracts only into large, same room as itself, I set out to reset The Burn Unit and go with the 10 gal geopots just like tent#2 design. Still will have Co2, just have a automated intake fan and ducting now. Have all the materials, I think, and am resetting the tent now, with a few different options for plants.
C6004506-BE97-44A9-9B9A-B6044228CDDB.jpeg

I keep a harem in my white-walled w/ skylights and shop LED lights, attic. Currently I’m installing a kiddie pool up there that will have a few inches of fertigation and moms will sit on sections of 4” perforated drainpipe filled with sand/gravel that keep them above waterline yet wick them water on demand. Pond will be covered with panda and evap drain into reservoir. Plants will be in 3 gal soft pots and ferts low as I dare, I guess. Will prob have to shave an inch off the bottom of the rootball every few months to keep them manageable. That’ll be interesting, SIP moms.

Everyone’s suggestions or questions are adored. And usually save me from myself, so please, you are all most 🤗
This SIP looks real similar to the one I'm planning on making this weekend. Only difference would be is that I'll use a smaller tote turned upside down for the res.

I've built several different designs and find they all work great. The "gravel bed" type as I describe it works well but I've found it limits the available reservoir volume late in flower as the water roots pack the reservoir, so currently I'm using that style in veg to build a bigger and more robust root system and switching over to the air void structure in flower. I haven't gone through the full cycle with that combination yet, though. First pairing is currently only about two weeks into flower so I don't know how it will end up working.
Don't you think the companies who manufacture these things have tested multiple ways & have already figured out the way they work best ? That's my assumption at least. For that reason, the SIP I'll be building will be as close to the premanufactured design as possible. Planning to start building it this weekend. If it isn't broke..... don't fix it is my opinion. From my grows I see their system works very well & don't see any reason to mess with it. JMO.

Don't you think the companies who manufacture these things have tested multiple ways & have already figured out the way they work best ? That's my assumption at least. For that reason, the SIP I'll be building will be as close to the premanufactured design as possible. Planning to start building it this weekend. If it isn't broke..... don't fix it is my opinion. From my grows I see their system works very well & don't see any reason to mess with it. JMO.
Maybe they have, maybe they haven't but I will say that of all of the various designs I've tested, the upside down container that forms a dome seems to work the best and that's similar to your commercial unit. I'm changing all of the others over to that design as the plants get harvested. The other designs all seem to work quite well also, but I get faster and better root growth with the domes.

The only difference that I've had to make on the design is I've found it best to leave an easy exit or void in the immediate area from the dome to the overflow hole which you can do with direct piping like ResDog does. For me, I just use hydroton clay balls to keep the soil away from that area. As the plants grows I periodically ream the hole to keep it open since the roots will tend to populate that area.

Maybe they have, maybe they haven't but I will say that of all of the various designs I've tested, the upside down container that forms a dome seems to work the best and that's similar to your commercial unit. I'm changing all of the others over to that design as the plants get harvested. The other designs all seem to work quite well also, but I get faster and better root growth with the domes.

The only difference that I've had to make on the design is I've found it best to leave an easy exit or void in the immediate area from the dome to the overflow hole which you can do with direct piping like ResDog does. For me, I just use hydroton clay balls to keep the soil away from that area. As the plants grows I periodically ream the hole to keep it open since the roots will tend to populate that area.
Yes, the direct piping is in my SIP plan when I make mine. Got a lot to get ready over the next couple of weeks. Setting up 2 - 4x4 tents so I can veg them different lengths of time. One tent will be a sponsored grow with a Bar Light (Viparspectra KS5000) & the other a personal grow with hooded lights (4 - Viparspectra PAR 1500's). 1 tent will have 4-5 different strains in 3 gallon fabric Geo Pots & the other with the big SIP tub. I'll probably use Maxi Grow & Bloom for those grows. Coming soon..... To a thread near you !

Hope he's ok. Haven't heard from him in a couple of weeks. :(
He hasn't returned my messages.
I'm concerned.
Anyone know how to get ahold of him?

Stay safe

Back
Top Bottom