Does copper pipe affect nutrient water?

shpejt

Hello
I will ask something if possible? I want to put a copper pipe in the mini fridge and set up a cooling system to cool the water in the tank of my ebb & flow system. With a small water pump, the nutrient water passing through the Copper tube in the refrigerator returns to the reservoir. As a result, water cools. I can keep the water cool by balancing the pump with a timer at regular intervals. What I want to ask is, how does pumping nutrient water from the copper tube affect the quality of the water and the pH setting? Does this cause problems for plants? Thankss

IMG_20200630_182645.jpg

Screenshot_20200702_114027.jpg

I started my hydro nft setup with a copper pipe feeding on top. I was told at the hydro shop that the copper will dissolve into the water. I think he was right my pipes did look bad in a short time, I switched to air line hose.

Drop a piece of copper into some nutrient solution in a jar and keep an eye on it to see what is happening. Heck you could even do a before/after ppm test on it, that may tell something.

Can't I do this? It is not possible for the plastic hose to cool inside the refrigerator. What can I do alternative?@Bob Loblaw

I started my hydro nft setup with a copper pipe feeding on top. I was told at the hydro shop that the copper will dissolve into the water. I think he was right my pipes did look bad in a short time, I switched to air line hose.

Drop a piece of copper into some nutrient solution in a jar and keep an eye on it to see what is happening. Heck you could even do a before/after ppm test on it, that may tell something.
The copper in contact with water that has a high oxygen content probably goes to one of Cu's oxygenated states. I forget which. It's an inert coating. Like the Statue of Liberty. ...but my chem background was decades ago.

I'm no expert, just giving you my experience is all. You may have a point with the plastic not cooling as fast... hmmm? I dunno... I have some rubber air line hose that is considerably thinner = more hose, thinner hose. Maybe somekind stainless steel line? Perhaps a thin 2L pop bottle res or 3 so your solution spends more time in there, or a thicker sealed plastic bag on a shelf with a line in & out.

Just throwing some quick thoughts off the top of my head.

So if you had a small res in the fridge like a plastic 2L... when the pump is off the 2L is full and cooling? or even 3 - 2L bottles or even better a small flat tank of some sort.

Or we can just wait for someone who may know more.

Stupid brain won't stop... I had a crazy idea. How about a series of IV bags, hang 8 or 12 in a line & run through all. It would give you a much larger cooling area... ya I get some crazy ones sometimes, Ukrainian farmer & all you know.

No idea how to acquire the bags though, I imagine they throw them out after use. Orrr you could just buy them I guess lol.

Back
Top Bottom