Drooping cotyledons on first grow

Sooperdooper

Hello everyone,
I've just started my first grow in a 4x4 tent that is 2 meters tall
400w hps bulb
400m3 blower with carbon filter
Growing in BioBizz light mix, no nutes yet.
The issue I'm having is that out of my 3 plants that germinated 2 have droopy leaves. I don't think I'm overwatering based on the soil, but I can't be sure. Do I have a problem? How do I correct it?
The plants sprouted yesterday, so they've been out of soil for just under 24 hours, I stick my finger into the soil to make sure it's never more than damp before watering with a spray bottle. Temp is above 21 celcius consistently topping out at 25
Humidity hovers around 70 percent
I just added a Co2 bag in hopes of helping the seedlings grow, not sure if it's too early for that
20200526_051608.jpg
20200526_053058.jpg
20200526_051614.jpg
20200526_051559.jpg

Hello everyone,
I've just started my first grow in a 4x4 tent that is 2 meters tall
400w hps bulb
400m3 blower with carbon filter
Growing in BioBizz light mix, no nutes yet.
The issue I'm having is that out of my 3 plants that germinated 2 have droopy leaves. I don't think I'm overwatering based on the soil, but I can't be sure. Do I have a problem? How do I correct it?
The plants sprouted yesterday, so they've been out of soil for just under 24 hours, I stick my finger into the soil to make sure it's never more than damp before watering with a spray bottle. Temp is above 21 celcius consistently topping out at 25
Humidity hovers around 70 percent
I just added a Co2 bag in hopes of helping the seedlings grow, not sure if it's too early for that
20200526_051608.jpg
20200526_053058.jpg
20200526_051614.jpg
20200526_051559.jpg
Hiya sooperdooper,
They're looking good bud.
Hps is quite an intense light for seedlings, so they may be just shying away from it a bit.
Also the yellow bulb can cause elongated node spacing, look into metal halide bulb, it's designed to go into your light system and is specifically for vegging plants, it is more of a white light. The yellow bulb you have is for flowering.

Like I said hps is quite intense for a seedling, I use a t5 fluorescent unit for young plants.
You got a great set up by the way.

Thanks a bunch for the response, I'll go pick up a MH bulb today
No worries,
But don't forget that's still a powerful light for a seedling, so just watch they don't get overpowered by the intensity.

When you start your next grow, maybe look into a light more fitting for starting seedlings, like I said, I use a t5 unit. It's old tech but works perfectly for seedlings. You could also look at a small LED starter light, you can pick up a decent one for seedlings for about $70- $100, a wise long term investment.
Mars hydro (a sponsor on this site) have a good starter light, the ts 600, you can get a member discount also. Budget LED another good sponsor.
Happy growing bud.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll be sure to invest in those, only issue in Finland is the cold, I'm using my balcony so the heat of a HID helps keep the temperature in range. Maybe I could start the pots under fluorescent lights in the sauna next grow then move them out once they're stronger

Thanks for the pointers, I'll be sure to invest in those, only issue in Finland is the cold, I'm using my balcony so the heat of a HID helps keep the temperature in range. Maybe I could start the pots under fluorescent lights in the sauna next grow then move them out once they're stronger
Lol, yes Finland is very cold, are you from the North, Sami territory?

Sounds like a nice setup! I still have quite a bit to invest in to make my grow setup sustainable for winter months
Yeah, it took me a couple of years to get all the stuff I have now, I have a similar space to yours, a glazed balcony. I do tents with lights in winter, then i use the Sun to grow autos in the summer.
Start up a grow journal, that way we can follow your progress.
Good luck

Hi, sorry if I am using this thread xD

I am currently at the same stage as thread creator. My cotydelons are pointing upwards. That is good I read in another thread.

However, I am doing this in coco mix from BioBizz and will use BioBizz nutrients. How should my plants look like when I start giving them nutrients?

I appreciate any reply and as a first time grower I am mostly paranoid all the time that the flowers will die.

Hey Mattimo,

Welcome to the forums at 420 magazine! cotys are the 2 rounded leaves that pop out when the plant first raises up from the soil or grow media. Cotys are a spare food source for the tiny seedling, and once the plant starts growing on it own then soon after the cotys brown out and die off.

As for leaves reaching up - that’s usually a good sign. But it would help to see a daylight pic of your plant to confirm. In the future and to avoid confusion it’s best to start your own FAQ post - but you are new and didn’t know - so it’s all good. More people should stop by soon...

Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply. Will think about starting a new thread next time.

Equipment: Bonanza Grow Box 1m2
Lights: 2x Q4W San Light
Strain: Green Gelato
First timer!
They were put in a glass of water 7 days ago. Everything has gone fast since they were only seeds.

Question 1: Does everything looks healthy? Some of them looks like bananas, and one of them are bended inwards. One is bended more upwards and that is good :)

Question 2: How should my seedlings look like before giving them nutrients? I am very unsure about when to start feeding them.

Please see pictures below:
2.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

normally you can start feeding very carefully feed now. but check your soil mix. some bio-biz mixes have background nutes that sustain the plant though the first few weeks. when to start feeding is a bit of a toss up. as a result i don't recommend bio-biz for a first grow.

Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply. Will think about starting a new thread next time.

Equipment: Bonanza Grow Box 1m2
Lights: 2x Q4W San Light
Strain: Green Gelato
First timer!
They were put in a glass of water 7 days ago. Everything has gone fast since they were only seeds.

Question 1: Does everything looks healthy? Some of them looks like bananas, and one of them are bended inwards. One is bended more upwards and that is good :)

Question 2: How should my seedlings look like before giving them nutrients? I am very unsure about when to start feeding them.

Please see pictures below:
2.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

they look good by the way.

Tiny seedling is all good, no harm intended. They are just a few days old so they are doing their thing.

How to make a grow journal <<< follow this link to setup your own grow journal, then more people can watch over your grow. Be sure to list all of your setup in first paragraph.... stuff like tent size, lighting type & wattage, fans & ventilation, what nutes you are using etc etc.

Thank you. I will be careful with feeding them. I rather feed to little and adjust if they need more than giving them too much and ruin my lovely babies :D

you're in coco. you can't treat it the same as soil. coco needs to be kept wet, it goes from one to several feedings per day as the plant matures. most growers cut the bottle nutes they feed by 1/2 or greater to accomplish this. ph is important in coco as well. hydro rules apply, ph to 5.8.

go through the journals and find a couple other coco grows to read through to get an idea. there will probably be some using the same media and nute lines.

Back
Top Bottom