Drying methods!

2 weeks seems long for drying,but it really depends on humidity in your drying space,and when YOU feel they're dry enough to go in the c- vault.

Too dry,and curing won't do anything for them,too wet and they can grow mold in the jar,even with the Bovedas in there. (I learned this the hard way,Boveda's can only soak up so much moisture)

2 weeks isn't really long enough for a good cure,45-60 days(or longer) is more like it,but it's up to you-I know it's difficult,but patience will pay off in flavor and smoothness of smoke.(and some say potency)

That's old legend material about the thc raising by hanging them whole. That's funny. No offense to him but I'm grateful to a few books I've read. Thanks to Jorge Cervantes for that or maybe Ed Rosenthal. Heck, maybe Doc Bud ;)

Anyway. It's good to try all options if you can. That's the fun thing about growing your own and doing it your way. You can see firsthand what works.

This site is also great, because there is a lot of people who've done it and willing to share.

For me, so much depends on variables. Personally, I don't have a dedicated dry space. Not in all the years and set ups I've had.

Id prefer to whole hang. But, space, time, weather, family things,,, its not easy to do. But, the whole point, pardon me pun, is to dry slow.

I'l say that again.... dry it slow.

If you can..... whole hang....Strip the big fans and get the correct RH with some air movement and you'll have an awesome plant(s) to trim up. Get the RH wrong, with stale air - and you may not like what you get. Mold.

I use dry racks, mostly. But sometimes I cut whole branches off main colas and hang them clothes line style for the first week to ten days. Depending on soooooo many variables.

Good luck. Don't forget the time and effort you put into growing it should reflect in your drying, trimming, and curing ;)
I get the whoke drying for days thing but what if its only a couoke zips worth? Does it still take days? My last grow i got only a zip left it in brown paoer bag and the next morning it was all crispy with that weird hay/grassy smell.i then put in jars but never got that dank smell i love
So if i only get a couple ounces from my next grow how do u suggest drying out small batches?

I get the whoke drying for days thing but what if its only a couoke zips worth? Does it still take days? My last grow i got only a zip left it in brown paoer bag and the next morning it was all crispy with that weird hay/grassy smell.i then put in jars but never got that dank smell i love
So if i only get a couple ounces from my next grow how do u suggest drying out small batches?

It's always a case by case thing. Even for me, personally. My last harvest I was unable to hang whole and did main branches.

Small batches or large batches if you control the environment you're doing it in, and keep and eye on things, then you should be ok. Just have to adapt on the fly sometimes.

What is wet and dry trimming?

wet trimming - trimming the excess leaves off the bud while it is freshly cut
dry trimming - trimming the excess leaves off the bud after it has hung to dry

wet trimming will give you nicer looking buds from the start, while dry trimming just takes some time to get the desired look.....unless you are me, and do not care to much about looks

Thanks guys think i found my problem. This next grow im going to hang the whole thing to dry right in my tent. Tgat way it has nice temp and RH. Last time u put my buds on a window screen to dry. Too fast. Thanks guys

Which one do you prefer from your experience?

In my experience,wet trimming is the easiest way-It's alot easier to trim the leaves when they're sticking out,as opposed to being dry and laying flat against the buds.
Some say dry trimming allows the buds to dry slower,which makes for a better tasting smoke in the finished product,which is something to consider.

I have heard hang the whole plant theory to back in the day the old wise tale was exactly what you said that all the thc would drain down to the buds but what our forefathers didn't realize is that actually dry slower gives better flavor and more potent smoke which is what we call the cure now adays.

Hey I'm a forefather lol

Have always hung the whole plant in an outdoor shed. In the fall here its cool and damp so they would dry pretty slowly. Also much less work than hanging many little branches.

The thc gravity feed is new to me. Whats in the trichomes doesn't move, and the amount of thc/cbd in stem fluids is pretty low. Wow if someone develops a strain that drips thc I want some :cheer:

What we did count on however was that the bud development energy of the plant would continue to feed off the leaves and stems for a little while. - adding to slow cure, and maybe adding to the trichomes. It also allowed the roots to dry if someone wanted to use them.

They would stay there all winter.

IN addition, by spring the seeds were good and ready for that seasons grow, having spent the winter in the buds pouch. We would put a tray or something under the best seeded ones to collect any seeds dropping out.

Ah the good old days. Did not need any kitchen gadgets or hydro and they tasted fine to us. But to be honest the taste buds were impaired :lot-o-toke::cough:

There is a strain I've heard about, have to do some googling,, but I heard this from a knowledgeable guy, anyway, when you squeeze the buds oil comes out. Like drips something... Something like that...

I have seen, on one occasion after three days of darkness before harvest... what appeared to be dripping of something from a plant I grew years ago. Not sure what it was truthfully. But, it's something i'l never forget seeing. I used to think it was the three days of darkness,,, but it's kinda like bigfoot. Getting proof is a sumbitch.

Peace out fellas :ganjamon:

Count me in on that!
Wrong place but best person to ask, I broke my ph meter and have just feed her unph’d water with a little too much ph down (it stunk). I flushed like 10L after realising this mistake, you think I’ve done permant damage (using coco,18L pot, 4th week flowering)?

There is a strain I've heard about, have to do some googling,, but I heard this from a knowledgeable guy, anyway, when you squeeze the buds oil comes out. Like drips something... Something like that...

I have seen, on one occasion after three days of darkness before harvest... what appeared to be dripping of something from a plant I grew years ago. Not sure what it was truthfully. But, it's something i'l never forget seeing. I used to think it was the three days of darkness,,, but it's kinda like bigfoot. Getting proof is a sumbitch.

Peace out fellas :ganjamon:

Guttation is most likely what you're looking at here. My first and second DDA did this. It's a sugary sap, and not the good kind. :cough:

Back
Top Bottom