DWC (bubble method) for 3-4 plants

snack420

Hi. I'm new to hydroponics, but managed a successful grow in coco recently and feel I'm now ready (and excited) to try hydro. From reading some articles and checking out my local grow shop, it seems like DWC (or the "bubble method") is a good way to go to get a really great yield in a relatively short amount of time. My question is, if I want to grow 3 or 4 plants of different strains, what is the best way to set this up, taking into consideration that each plant/strain may require varying amounts of nutrients or benefit from different lengths in their veg or flowering phases? Should I grow each of the plants in their own bucket, or is it reasonable to grow them together in reservoirs and just feed them the same balance of nutes and water? Should I be concerned that some may veg or flower faster than others, or just be content switching them all to flowering at the same time? I suppose I can still harvest them at different times at the end. But, is it better to grow different strains in their own reservoirs, or can they safely share the reservoir?

Thanks for any advice!

Yes don't do that.... :)

I would start by recommending that if you want to try something new then just use one strain for the first few runs so you get an easier ramp up. But yes if you want to run different strains then they will grow differently.

Sounds like you have 2 rooms one for veg and one for bloom. If not no worries you can still do it as long as you have a dark room that is properly ventilated and you hand carry the bloomers in there each night until everything is in bloom. So for that reason and the nute requirements being different you will want independent buckets.

If you are going to run a system that has a centralized tank then you should keep the same strain and same age. If you do have 2 rooms and have identical systems in each... the net pot and lid can be transferred and then you can do what you want but again the nutes will be off. Each week is a different nute profile so if the growth rates have them off by more than a few days you may not be giving optimal nutes to one and not to others... in fact more likley you will be splitting the middle and not giving any of them what they really need. This is not a recommended plan. What if one plant is near done and you want to flush it and another one is no where near ready?

And by the way...it takes a number of runs on any one strain to dial in the proper nute regimen. If by some miracle you had it right the first time it would only be right for some of the strains.

Yes don't do that.... :)

I would start by recommending that if you want to try something new then just use one strain for the first few runs so you get an easier ramp up. But yes if you want to run different strains then they will grow differently.

Sounds like you have 2 rooms one for veg and one for bloom. If not no worries you can still do it as long as you have a dark room that is properly ventilated and you hand carry the bloomers in there each night until everything is in bloom. So for that reason and the nute requirements being different you will want independent buckets.

If you are going to run a system that has a centralized tank then you should keep the same strain and same age. If you do have 2 rooms and have identical systems in each... the net pot and lid can be transferred and then you can do what you want but again the nutes will be off. Each week is a different nute profile so if the growth rates have them off by more than a few days you may not be giving optimal nutes to one and not to others... in fact more likley you will be splitting the middle and not giving any of them what they really need. This is not a recommended plan. What if one plant is near done and you want to flush it and another one is no where near ready?

And by the way...it takes a number of runs on any one strain to dial in the proper nute regimen. If by some miracle you had it right the first time it would only be right for some of the strains.

This is very helpful info, so thanks a lot! I figured it might be better to grown different strains in separate buckets/reservoirs, but wasn't totally sure. Makes sense that they would probably have differing nute requirements though.

I only have a single grow room for both veg and flower - one tent, so I'll probably take your suggestion and just focus on one strain and keep it as simple as possible for my first DWC grow.

That said, if I want to grow 2-4 plants of the same strain, is it recommended to use a shared reservoir system, or separate buckets? I'm not sure what the advantages/disadvantages of each method would be, but I'm guessing a shared system might be easier because it's only one thing to drain and replace each week? What other considerations are there to think about when deciding?

Thanks!

Hey snak,

I have 2 flower rooms 1 for dif strains I use custom built waterfarms .20 bucks to setup, with six or eight inch net basket., it's a bit more work than my RDWC system, so I opt for easy nuet program, used GH flora nova two part for awhile been using hydroponic research one part powder, it's really simple and great results, picking up a camera soon I'll show you my setup

My rdwc has 6, 5 gallon buckets 1 is the main rez, I use it for clones same strain, a wet vac to suck out old water makes it easy to change out

I'm always caring for my girls so a little extra work doesn't bother me
Peace Luno

Hey luno,
I'd love to see some pics of your setup - sounds interesting!

Out of curiosity, during flowering time, how long would you say the reservoirs can last without attention? I may need to go away late in my grow and I'm trying to understand how long I can get away with without risking a problem, at least with regard to feeding. I totally realize other issues can come up like root rot and broken pumps, but just trying to plan the right size buckets or tote. Ideally, I'd like to be able to go away for 7-10 days. Is that a pipe dream?

:Namaste:

If you go with the six inch net pot, drip ring setup in late flower under 400+ hps you can push four days, im about to build some stand alone waterfarms with the 13 gallon square black res buckets, found them online for 12 bucks, should be able to make a week+ easy with that setup

4 x4 with a 600 watt, i would do two 5 gal. Waterfarms, that will take up whole tent if nuets and temps are in line. Get the general hydroponic waterfarm pluming kit for 12 bucks with five gal buckets and six inch net pot,.

Then you can always switch to the 13 gallon buckets they are square, two will fit in the 4 x4 but plants will get huge

So, I'm going to try four 5 gallon buckets in my 4x4 tent and see how it goes. Should be getting the equipment in the next few days...

I'll be going away for 3 days about 3 weeks into the veg cycle and then going away again for 5 days about 6 weeks into veg when I'm thinking it will be around time to switch them to the 12/12 flower cycle. Do you think 5 gallons will be enough to feed them and not let them die for those two stretches of time while I'm away? I'm really hoping it will be alright! :)

If you're using bubble buckets, say 3 buckets and one bucket for the reservoir/controller.. You can add a standing column of water to the reservoir/controller and circulate the water in all four containers by putting a WF pumping column in that standing column of water...
Adding a float valve to the reservoir/controller, and an add back reservoir to keep the water level up, a week away could be done with no problem.... One WF pumping column, put there, will move a 144 gal a day through all four buckets... For a better explanation, visit my thread, Waterfarm recirculating reservoir, in the DIY forum...

Yea Dr fish, my big flower room i have one like that, we were talking about doing a few dif strains at the same time. I dont like running those with the same nuets, some of my strains like it stronger some weaker, and they finnish at dif times.. but thats the way i like to do it, find it easier

Back
Top Bottom