Earliest Clone cuts

I have little experience but have been doing some reading on the subject.

Most of the info said to wait until the plant is at least 4 weeks before taking cuts.

What I plan to do with my mother plants is to LST them as early as possible, which will probably be at around 2-3 weeks, and that should make them nice and bushy so I can take several clones at 4-5 weeks.

What is the earliest you've cut a clone from a mother, week 2, week 3, week 4....? Or should you wait a certain amount of time so the mother is a stable plant?

It depends on if your taking the cutting to sex the plant or cloning
to grow full cycle.
You can take a cutting around 4 weeks or so but for sexing purposes only, as it will not be stable enough to grow out full term yet (inconsistent growth patterns & weak flowering).
Wait till around 8 weeks or so when the plant reaches maturity (shown with alternating node growth), then it is safe to take clones that will be full strength when grown out.
I hope that helps, good luck.

Regarding when to start harvesting from mom, the points made already pretty much cover it, however there's one general rule to keep in mind. Unless it's urgent, it doesn't hurt to give the kids a little extra time before they're to become orphans. It's easier on mom's recovery and it helps the kids start life if their 'birth weight' is up. Larger stalks tend to support more green (flowerette plus maybe the first future fan leaf) thereby helping root development. Of course, this requires patience, never one of my strong suits.

Oops, meant to address The Feast's question. While certainly no expert, truly, grafting seems to pose more problems than it's worth. If I understand it correctly(?), the cross-pollination procedure is necessary in order to breed true hybrids. Grafting, root splicing and the like, while understandable, don't seem to produce proven results and, worse yet, result in the demise of its test subjects. No doubt others will disagree so be nice. One more post to go.

Back
Top Bottom