Clone Success Tip

I scrape and those seem to be the strongest rooters. But I'm sure there's a chance to scrape too deep or introduce bacteria. Peeling a strip of the outside "bark" along with a node you'll remove anyway is maybe a gentler approach to the same result. A study also demonstrated abrading the outside of a cutting with sandpaper is enough for a positive effect.

I scrape and those seem to be the strongest rooters. But I'm sure there's a chance to scrape too deep or introduce bacteria. Peeling a strip of the outside "bark" along with a node you'll remove anyway is maybe a gentler approach to the same result. A study also demonstrated abrading the outside of a cutting with sandpaper is enough for a positive effect.

If it works for you then that's fine. I just relate what has or has not worked for me the last 20 years of growing. It's worth however many grains of salt the reader thinks it is. ;)

:peace:

If it works for you then that's fine. I just relate what has or has not worked for me the last 20 years of growing. It's worth however many grains of salt the reader thinks it is. ;)

:peace:
Right. I'm not saying do or don't do anything. Just sharing my experiences also and studies of other's experiences. I don't like when I'm suggested to do something like someone else does it. I like knowing all the methods so I can determine which is best. I am interested in objectively superior methods though. Scraping for example might be risky but with more risk generally comes more reward. And it's a lot less risky when we take the time to dissect our experiences and find the causes that correlate to the rewards we want. There's a reason for everything and if the reason your stems rot can be discovered and resolved, that's progress. Simply cutting at 45 does work, no arguing that. But I wouldn't suggest to avoid scraping just because the basics work.

I’m glad this conversation made me drag out the aerocloner. Not only am I getting lots of roots starting- but it’s only been six days since I took the cuttings. Fastest time ever for me personally
:thumb:

I’m glad this conversation made me drag out the aerocloner. Not only am I getting lots of roots- but it’s only been six days since I took the cuttings. Fastest time ever for me personally
:thumb:
Congrats brotha! I think scraping the stems were the culprit for me. Don't seem to root as fast as they use to but hey....they are rooting!

I'm glad you guys are having success again. Karma struck me, now my clones are having issues. Some dessicated and the rest are looking a little rotten and I'm worried. My issue was definitely a temperature one. Been in the 90s in the grow room the past few days... I think the cloner has to be under 80. What temps are you guys cloning at?

I stopped paying any attention after I got the Z9, but ideally temps should be lowish - like around 70, to discourage slime growth.

Of course in the past when I was having slime issues I fusssed over temps a lot and it didn’t help much- they rotted anyway.

Thanks for the links on clones Tortured Soul, will give them a read.
I've read many many ideas and sworn protocols that claim 100% success rates,so a few more won't hurt a bit.
Ever heard of Scotch grass ? I might be lucky at cloning that

How’s it going @Marzbadrock ?
Things be good! I just took 5 clones of some cherry vanilla skunk last night, this will be the first time using the z7. My last clones all took, 30 for 30. I really cleaned everything like a lunatic, did not scrape stems, used some hydro peroxide......something worked.

I just use clonex rooting hormone. Water temp stays right at 72. Ambient temp around 78, humidity at 60%. Probably took upwards of 1000 clones with not 1 loss. Lost last 90 i took.
Oh man, this is my reminder to stay humble. As a new grower I feel like a clone master. EVERY clone I have taken has worked, all have grown amazing plants. I am now going to lose my mojo someday if I am not careful. Thanks for the reminder NOT to take any of my successes for granted - it's luck at this point for sure!

Oh man, this is my reminder to stay humble. As a new grower I feel like a clone master. EVERY clone I have taken has worked, all have grown amazing plants. I am now going to lose my mojo someday if I am not careful. Thanks for the reminder NOT to take any of my successes for granted - it's luck at this point for sure!
:goodjob::thumb:

These tips to cut underwater and stop feeding N before cloning isn't necessary with an aeroponic cloner. Not saying it doesn't help, but aeroponics are a huge game changer that agriculture never had access to before. I've been 100% success rate for a long time now without any considerations. Pretty sure I could take a cutting with my teeth and spit it into the cloner and still be fine.
Must be nice to have your lucky skills Matey
My DIY 5 gal bucket spray bomb fired up today but the venturi failed to suck for some reason.Seemed to be a water level relationship,so its running submersible not air & NOT misting to my satisfaction.Was looking at a tiny plastic manifold on amaz dot ca for $43 pricy.
Are you using an air pump with stones ? I might have to buy an air- pump dang

Water Pressure on 300 gph sucks bad to mist without a suitable attachment which I havent found yet.
1 lonely clone in Stone wool cube fingers crossed

What attachment are you using as a misting device?

I agree with you until a few months ago. I had 100% success rate with clones for the last 10+ years, all of the sudden I cant get a clone to save my life. I even bought new pump, air stone, tubing, cloning collars, switched to bottled spring water and the stems rot off in 5 days. Aero clones are the shit....until there not.
WOW..Are you using nutrients early ?
Submersible or air ?
Submersibles heat up the water..then green growth,so sterile might be an option.
Thats my plan,then as soon as roots are long enuff will plant in soil.

hmm, well you've stumped me. Are you leaving a node at the end of the cutting? Sometimes I forget and the stems rot to the next node, but still root. You shouldn't need any additional oxygen if the cuttings are literally submerged in the air... Maybe you have too much mist?

Not trying to undermine your experience and knowledge. Just perplexing that you're having issues with something that worked flawlessly for 10 years.

Do you use any nutes or hormones? I used clonex brand for both. Haven't tried other brands but I noticed a big difference in success rate and vigor over plain water.
Is that a sponsored cloner? Oops
Do all those manufactured cloners give good success rates ?
I personally believe 3 factors are critical
1) Water Temp
2) Water Mist molecule size and amount on stem
3) Nutrients or no nutrients
Its trial & error for me at this time
Thanks for posting mates :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom