Eastern Canadian - All my plants entering flowering stage way too early

chicashawn

This is only my second year starting from seed. Last year i germinated late and they went outside when they were very small and things went off without a hitch. This year i started too early and have 6 inch high plants in a sunny window. Our daylight hours are almost exactly 12-12 so they have all started showing flowery pistols everywhere. Even one that is only 3 inches tall. I have them under grow lights now 24-0 its been two days. Do i just leave everything alone at that light ratio now? Will they go back to a vegetative state on their own until i can get them out in the garden end of May? Someone told me i have to pinch the flowers off :eek:. I am afraid to do anything drastic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
There are three varieties and they are all feminized and only one is auto flower which i had not noticed. (if this helps) but all are doing it except one black indica. :) Happy Saturday! :peace:

Welcome Chicashawn. I'm no expert but I wouldn't change anything again. I've read that changes or interruptions to the light schedule can cause the plant to go hermaphrodite and have male pollen sacs. Since they were at 12/12 and you've put them under 24-0 for 2 days, I'd leave them be. I hope they do go back into veg - but I'm not sure what they'll do. I'm just concerned that changing again could really make them go hermie.

I don't know how pinching the flowers off would help and I agree, it seems drastic. I'd let them stay.

How old are the plants? Autos will start flowering around 28 - 36 days from seed.

Happy growing:goodluck:

i had this happen to me , last year, and my plants never completely returned to veg. state. A total loss !! if I was you, I'd start more seeds and think about abandoning the others. You still have enough time to grow some nice bushes before late may .

I agree. I’ve had plants that never reverted back to veg stage and some that have. I’d definitely plant some extra insurance.
I’m in Eastern Ontario too. Last fall was brutal with the wet weather and cold. Lost 4 of 5 to bud rot. Anything I do outside this year will be autoflowers. Get out and get them done while the sun is still shining and warm.

Welcome Chicashawn. I'm no expert but I wouldn't change anything again. I've read that changes or interruptions to the light schedule can cause the plant to go hermaphrodite and have male pollen sacs. Since they were at 12/12 and you've put them under 24-0 for 2 days, I'd leave them be. I hope they do go back into veg - but I'm not sure what they'll do. I'm just concerned that changing again could really make them go hermie.

I don't know how pinching the flowers off would help and I agree, it seems drastic. I'd let them stay.

How old are the plants? Autos will start flowering around 28 - 36 days from seed.

Happy growing:goodluck:
Thanks so much! I germinated them on March 1 so it could be the time. Just too bad they are so tiny. Oh well lets see what happens

i had this happen to me , last year, and my plants never completely returned to veg. state. A total loss !! if I was you, I'd start more seeds and think about abandoning the others. You still have enough time to grow some nice bushes before late may .
Im going to try to clone them maybe? (sounds hard and i am obviously a novice haha) thank you though i may try again for safety :))

Back
Top Bottom