Epsom Salts Into Dry Soil Mix - Anyone Tried Seen Heard About It?

kiwibloke

Hi guys My young mate has a couple of plants that are starting to look real crappy. I'm going to suggest repotting them into new soil in 20 lt containers and see if that helps fix it for starters . . .In the meantime I saw a uTube video where the guy was feeding MagSulph / Epsom salts to them with each watering and it seemed to work !!!

So was wondering if one could mix a handfull of the stuff into the soil mix as it goes into the buckets. If anyone has tried this or has a mate who has, or even heard about it, I'd appreciate any replies.

Cheers

Some pic's would be an ideal suggestion along with information such as soil/compost used PH value of the growing medium and nutrients used if any with what stage of growth etc indoor or out door ?

With out information its abit hard to advise for best possible rememdy !

Your question is kinda the equivalent of someone going to a car forum and saying "oh my car isnt working too great lately I think I should change the clutch, what do you guys think?"

As Mr Foie Gras pointed out we need some pics to give a nice accurate remedy to your problem.

Your question is kinda the equivalent of someone going to a car forum and saying "oh my car isnt working too great lately I think I should change the clutch, what do you guys think?"

As Mr Foie Gras pointed out we need some pics to give a nice accurate remedy to your problem.

The question was about putting dry crystals into a dirt mix as it's being put together Jimmy . . not asking for a plant diagnois . . .the problem IS diagnosed. - I'm looking for information as to whether or not I can mix dry crystals into a soil mix as it's being made but before it's been soaked. I know it can be added after planting in liquid form - I'm trying it see if a different method will work.

Heres the thing. Mate of mine grows abita herb. he doesn't sell any so theres not a lot of $$ for buying fancy soil mixes, etc., so he makes it up with homemade compost (seems to be ok) and potting soil mix (40lt bags) from the local big box store he's been doing it for uears like this. but over the last couple of grows it's been going to shit. Then I discovered as he makes his compost he empties the soil from the previous grow (with all the undisolved chemical salts) to give soil layers . . and I think thats the problem . .he's got bind up There's only one grow store in a hundred square miles and the police did a big sting recently so we're a too paranoid about going in for anything. The plants have been flushed, feed LOW dose ferts, increased ferts, but the consesous is a mag deficiency. So i figured to get in front of the problem by adding the salts to the soil . . . . . it's complicated but we're getting on top of it I think

So you believe your soil is mag deficient and want to know if adding epsom salts to your soil will help offset that deficiency. Right?

If that is your question the answer is no. Mag Sul is very water soluble. While a small bit might stay in the soil most would pass out of the first few feet of soil fairly quickly, going out more and more with each watering.

If using epsom salts to treat Mg - magnesium defeciencys its really best mixed into your regular nutrient feeding regime or water a solution of epsom salts every week seperately !

By applying to soil in will soon be leached by rain or regular watering.

For a long term fix i would be tempted to add dolomite lime to old/spent compost this has trace Mg - magnesium & Ca - calcium in it other options is to do...

Home Work

I would suggest taking a good look at high brix methods used & some of the rock dust applied or used in the growing medium, its an eye opener & well worth a read about the subject. :thumb:

So you believe your soil is mag deficient and want to know if adding epsom salts to your soil will help offset that deficiency. Right?

If that is your question the answer is no. Mag Sul is very water soluble. While a small bit might stay in the soil most would pass out of the first few feet of soil fairly quickly, going out more and more with each watering.

thank you JC That was what we were after . The reason it was going to get mixed dry into the soil first is that once a 20 lt (5 gal approx) mix is put together, its placed inside a bigger container and is then totally flooded so that the mix is completly soaked, so there's no possibility of dry pockets/patches inside the mix, and figured it would get mixed in then . . . . .by looks of it u dudes think it wouldget rinsed out virtually straight away, so will go with the watering it in

Thanx all.

thank you JC That was what we were after . The reason it was going to get mixed dry into the soil first is that once a 20 lt (5 gal approx) mix is put together, its placed inside a bigger container and is then totally flooded so that the mix is completly soaked, so there's no possibility of dry pockets/patches inside the mix, and figured it would get mixed in then . . . . .by looks of it u dudes think it wouldget rinsed out virtually straight away, so will go with the watering it in

Thanx all.

Why not just use something that is made to do what you want?

Sul po Mag is a option that is organic. It also helps stablize soil PH from going too high and adds some slow release Potasium.

most of my soils Mag comes from Sul Po Mag.

Also I use Dolomite Lime (which any soil grower should) It helps stabalize the soil from going to low and it has a lot of calcium and mag

Back
Top Bottom